Thread: Anyone collect obsolete BP or nitro revolvers?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Anyone collect obsolete BP or nitro revolvers?

Does anyone on the list collect black powder or nitro revolvers in obsolete calibers?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

do you mean cartridge revolvers jim,i have 10 of them,ill list them for you if you are interested... greasemonkey

I do mean that, and I am interested, GM!

Cheers,

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I would love to, but just can't afford to! Since the handgun ban in particular, "off ticket" collectables have rocketed in price. A friend has a few, he gave £2000 for a S&W model 3 in .44 Russian, £5000 for a Remington 1875 in .44 Rem and £6000 for a SAA Flat-top Target!

If I had that sort of money, I'd be driving a better car!

It's the same as obsolete calibre rifles. The same model rifle may cost you three times as much as a version in an on ticket calibre.

A bit of me can't help but think this is because it' a bit of a snub to the government as no-one knows you've got the obolete one, so to peak. However, I did hear a rumour, because of the popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting in the US and hence, the resurgance of "obsolete" ammunition, then the calibre list that was written in 1968 may very well be revisited. Their argument is, that .44 Russian, for arguments sake, had not been manufactured since the end of WWI, but now, new reloading components are available and even several ammo maufacturers make new ammo........ in numerous loadings!

Couple with that, it was also rumoured that they may just arbitarily instigate that everything will have to go on a collectors licence, obsolete, antique or whatever. I wonder what that will do to the prices? My mate could really get his fingers burnt!

.44 Russian is simply a standard .44 case shortened with a case trimmer
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

here goes then jim,french model 1873 11mm service revolver,dutch east india[knils] 9.4mm service revolver,three .320 pocket revolvers,h&r .45bulldog pocket revolver,.442webley forhand and wandsworth pocket revolver .9mm pinfire revolver,7mm pinfire pocket revolver, iver johnson 41 long rimfire favorite revolver, conditions range from 98% for the service revolvers down to project for the.41rimfire ,i also have some other non revolver cartridge pistols and a collection of cap and ball revolvers and some muzzle loading pistols ,i also collect longarms but thats another story.told you i was a magpie! . cheers ..greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    here goes then jim,french model 1873 11mm service revolver,dutch east india[knils] 9.4mm service revolver,three .320 pocket revolvers,h&r .45bulldog pocket revolver,.442webley forhand and wandsworth pocket revolver .9mm pinfire revolver,7mm pinfire pocket revolver, iver johnson 41 long rimfire favorite revolver, conditions range from 98% for the service revolvers down to project for the.41rimfire ,i also have some other non revolver cartridge pistols and a collection of cap and ball revolvers and some muzzle loading pistols ,i also collect longarms but thats another story.told you i was a magpie! . cheers ..greasemonkey
    A magpie indeed, GM, or as we usually say in the States, a packrat!

By the way, I just bought a gun magazine (paper kind!) yesterday and it has an article about the French Model 1873. I haven't started to read the mag yet and will probably want to keep it, but if you're interested, I'll be glad to mail you a copy of the article.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post

Couple with that, it was also rumoured that they may just arbitarily instigate that everything will have to go on a collectors licence, obsolete, antique or whatever. I wonder what that will do to the prices? My mate could really get his fingers burnt!
    Let's hope not,Simon. Then again, IF that happens, prices might drop and then stabilize again.

Jim

yes jim ,iwould like a copy of that article on the m1873 please;they are a great revolver,big heavy and superbly over engineered.;in the film "the mummy"the male lead character carries a pair.i like the term "packrat",does it mean someone whos always packing stuff away?.;..[ by the way i also collect classic motorcycles,telescopes ,hip flasks,knives etc, there really is no hope for me, is there!] greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    yes jim ,iwould like a copy of that article on the m1873 please;they are a great revolver,big heavy and superbly over engineered.;in the film "the mummy"the male lead character carries a pair.i like the term "packrat",does it mean someone whos always packing stuff away?.;..[ by the way i also collect classic motorcycles,telescopes ,hip flasks,knives etc, there really is no hope for me, is there!] greasemonkey

PM me your postal address, GM.

Yes, a packrat is someone who isalways acwuiring things, packing them away, can't bear to part with things. Based on your comments above, you qualify!

"THE MUMMY"?! Oh, Lord, I can't watch those movies: I WANT every gun in the movie, and they're filled with beauties!

My God...Colt Single Action Armies, Webleys, lever action shotguns, Colt 1911's...I jusr drool through the whole movie!

Jim