Thread: sight adjustment

sight adjustment

jeeeeze im out of practice just had like an hour shootin at a cardboard box in the garden. i can get inch or less groups but no matter how much i adjust the sights im still hittin the target high.... what am i doin wrong? raising the rear sight lowers the point of impact right?
    Air Arms S400 Nikko Gameking 4-16x50....

Nope!!!....lowering the rear sight lowers the poi.

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    lol i had to draw a diagram to sus it out and im still not convinced

I had to think twice...lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Yeah this is right....if you think about it, raising the rear sight effectively manes that the butt end of the gun is slightly lower when you aim. This means the barrel end is aiming slightliy higher.

Quote Originally Posted by davep90 View Post
    jeeeeze im out of practice just had like an hour shootin at a cardboard box in the garden. i can get inch or less groups but no matter how much i adjust the sights im still hittin the target high.... what am i doin wrong? raising the rear sight lowers the point of impact right?
    Your sight picture will always be the same, it's the pistol that's out of alignment. You are effectively moving the pistol to suit the sights

Good luck, Phil

Always move the rear sight in the direction you wish it to shoot.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Always move the rear sight in the direction you wish it to shoot.
    yes i found that on google too

Quote Originally Posted by davep90 View Post
    . i can get inch or less groups but no matter how much i adjust the sights im still hittin the target high.... what am i doin wrong?
    What's your point of aim? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but if you're aiming at the bull, then your shots will go high.

It's such a simple thing it's often overlooked, but when you're pistol shooting, you should centre the bull area slightly above the sights, so that you see the smallest sliver of white below the dark of the scoring circle. This is known as the six o'clock hold, and works very well on the standard UBC 6 yard competition targets.

If you're already doing that, I apologise. I'm just acutely aware that sometimes we forget or even don't realise what our point of aim should be, and if it is your sights which are cocked up, at least this will serve as a reference to novice pistol shooters.

All best,

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    What's your point of aim? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but if you're aiming at the bull, then your shots will go high.

It's such a simple thing it's often overlooked, but when you're pistol shooting, you should centre the bull area slightly above the sights, so that you see the smallest sliver of white below the dark of the scoring circle. This is known as the six o'clock hold, and works very well on the standard UBC 6 yard competition targets.

If you're already doing that, I apologise. I'm just acutely aware that sometimes we forget or even don't realise what our point of aim should be, and if it is your sights which are cocked up, at least this will serve as a reference to novice pistol shooters.

All best,

Mike.
    thats a nice pointer (i discovered a while ago after lots of the same as today. guess i forgot)

forum needs a sticky outlining the basic stuff!
    most people probably dont shoot pistols because it takes a bit to get used to.

Smile Ratgunner

MikeB has the right of it,

Simply put (suits Me) up for up, down for down,moving the rear sight right forces the front sight to move to right and vice versa, lining up on the base of the bull is ideal as it stops your sight picture obscuring the bull.
    Cheers All.

Smile sights?

It just might be your grip is a little to loose this can groups to go high especially with a springer, just try it but do'nt over conpensate......mike