Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable, collectible pistols?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Affordable, collectible pistols?

Mates, maybe you could throw some thoughts and suggestions at me.

I'm thinking about starting to collect antique pistols. I'm most interested in cartridge (including centerfire, rimfire, and pinfire), whether black powder or nitro.

Era? Say, 1865 - 1900.

Nationalities? Interested in all western countries: US, UK, Continent, their colonies.

Forseeable problems? 1) lack of space. 2) More so: lack of money! Seriously, I'd be looking to spend in the neighborhood of, say, $500 or less (make that, say, 700 or less, UK pounds), for average acquisition.

Yes, I realize that there's probably not a lot of options available in that price range. PINFIRES look to be an interesting option. Can anyone suggest any others?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

The current economic climate makes this a very good time to buy if you have the cash. Some prices at auction are half what they were 12 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    a very good time to buy if you have the cash.
    Ah, there's the rub, Napoleon.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Smoots are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Mates, maybe you could throw some thoughts and suggestions at me.

I'm thinking about starting to collect antique pistols. I'm most interested in cartridge (including centerfire, rimfire, and pinfire), whether black powder or nitro.

Era? Say, 1865 - 1900.

Nationalities? Interested in all western countries: US, UK, Continent, their colonies.

Forseeable problems? 1) lack of space. 2) More so: lack of money! Seriously, I'd be looking to spend in the neighborhood of, say, $500 or less (make that, say, 700 or less, UK pounds), for average acquisition.

Yes, I realize that there's probably not a lot of options available in that price range. PINFIRES look to be an interesting option. Can anyone suggest any others?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Jim
    Hi Jim, If your on a budget anything like H&As Young Americans, Electrics, Red & Blue Jackets are very reasonable in the US or you might like to invest in the suicide specials, all can be bought for around $100.00. British Bull Dogs are plentifull in the US in .380 etc nice Belgium or British revolver heavy build quality for around $175.00, you have a lot more choice in calibres than we do in UK, or you could go the C&R route & pick up a very nice colt 1911 or S&W Millitary spec Govt order type, can be bought for under $350. Looks like your a lucky boy being a man of the US of A, so long as Obama keeps his noes out.

ATB, Glynn.

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    Hi Jim, If your on a budget anything like H&As Young Americans, Electrics, Red & Blue Jackets are very reasonable in the US or you might like to invest in the suicide specials, all can be bought for around $100.00. British Bull Dogs are plentifull in the US in .380 etc nice Belgium or British revolver heavy build quality for around $175.00, you have a lot more choice in calibres than we do in UK, or you could go the C&R route & pick up a very nice colt 1911 or S&W Millitary spec Govt order type, can be bought for under $350. Looks like your a lucky boy being a man of the US of A, so long as Obama keeps his noes out.

ATB, Glynn.

Thank you for the several great suggestions there, Glynn.

We'll try to keep Obama under control.

Jim

Thanks for all the info, Glynn and everyone!

At this point I'm leaning toward either pinfires, or British Bulldogs. I have ordered books ("buy the book, read the book, before you buy the gun!" ) about both types.

Either way, I want to specialize, since I know I am the sort of person who can't go in 2 directions: I will go either 1 way, or 137! LOL!

Jim

Around the turn of the 19/20 century the Belgians had a whole industry dedicated to "Velo Dogs". They were large caliber, but relatively low power revolvers specifically for "discouraging" dogs who chased your Velocipede (bicycle).

Of course Rabies was pretty big all over Europe at that time so it was considered necessary.

P.S. Jim...... suggest you check the exchange rate before you go buying any £700.00 bulldogs. Youll get a bill for a fair bit more than 500 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    Around the turn of the 19/20 century the Belgians had a whole industry dedicated to "Velo Dogs". They were large caliber, but relatively low power revolvers specifically for "discouraging" dogs who chased your Velocipede (bicycle).

Of course Rabies was pretty big all over Europe at that time so it was considered necessary.

P.S. Jim...... suggest you check the exchange rate before you go buying any £700.00 bulldogs. Youll get a bill for a fair bit more than 500 bucks.
    Thanks, Mark. I'd heard of "Velodogs" but I thought the name was derived from "velocity" + "bulldog" as in the pistol not the canine.

Jim

Most Velodog revolvers that I've come across were actually quite small in calibre. 6.5mm being the largest and many were .22. I went to a bicycle museum in Altmunster Austria last year and there was a sizeable display of them. The curator very kindly got one out of its case and let me fire it! There is a wonderful phrase in Walter Winans "The art of Revolver Shooting". This is a wonderfully descriptive book of revolver shooting in late Victorian and early Edwardian Britain when only the right sort of 'chap' carried a revolver. Quite unlike today when only the chavs have them. Chapter 31 describes shooting from a bicycle. "It is not normally neccessary to carry a loaded revolver when cycling. I find an unloaded one is quite sufficient to scare off tramps and vagabonds". Full of incredible political incorrectness and none the worse for it. Bisley described as it used to be. "The right crowd and no crowding!" Well worth seeking out a copy.

Ah, Napoleon: there you go again, making me want to buy something else!

Cheers,

Jim

Jim, the book is called "The Art of Revolver Shooting" by Walter Winans. It was published originally by GP Putnams in 1901 but was reprinted by the Border Press more recently in 1994. Winans was a heroic Edwardian gent who was on first name terms with George the Fifth. He was a president of the National Rifle Association (British Version). He famously had fifteen Smith & Wesson .44 Russian revolvers which he coloured coded by plating them in copper, nickle or gold and they were sighted in for different distances and light conditions. Even allowing for a considerable amount of self promotion he was a remarkable shot with any sort of firearm. Being a gentleman of independant means he had plenty of time to practice. The book is full of glorious illustrations of bewiskered gentlemen taking aim and even corseted ladies in full evening dress using "saloon pistols".

The ISBN is: 1 873088 10 8

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    Jim, the book is called "The Art of Revolver Shooting" by Walter Winans. It was published originally by GP Putnams in 1901 but was reprinted by the Border Press more recently in 1994. Winans was a heroic Edwardian gent who was on first name terms with George the Fifth. He was a president of the National Rifle Association (British Version). He famously had fifteen Smith & Wesson .44 Russian revolvers which he coloured coded by plating them in copper, nickle or gold and they were sighted in for different distances and light conditions. Even allowing for a considerable amount of self promotion he was a remarkable shot with any sort of firearm. Being a gentleman of independant means he had plenty of time to practice. The book is full of glorious illustrations of bewiskered gentlemen taking aim and even corseted ladies in full evening dress using "saloon pistols".

The ISBN is: 1 873088 10 8
    All right, that did it: now I have to get a copy!

Jim

I did some more research and velo-dogs are indeed small caliber. In fact some french gunsmith invented a caliber specifically for them.... 5.6mm velodog or something like that.

Apparently some people also used cartridges loaded with salt or herbs to repel, but not injure the dog.

I don't think I would have a lot of confidence in a .22 protecting me from a rabid Rottweiler.

As an aside Rabies is often cited as the reason why the European police forces have historically always been armed, whereas our British bobby never has. Rabies never crossed the channel. I read a figure somewhere that something like 95% of the ammunition expended operationally by all European police has been used to dispose of suspected rabid dogs.

Very interesting info, Mark, thank you.

Jim

There are a couple of articles in the old UK Handgunner magazine about Bulldog revolvers. If they would be of interest, PM me an e-mail and I will scan them for you.