Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol shooting distances

Pistol shooting distances

Hi all, I aim (get it??!!) to do more pistol shooting & I have several pistols:-
    Webley Hurricane with 2x scope, Tempest, El Gamo Centre with red dot,
    Beretta with red dot & Crosman medalist 1322.
    What range should I be using these over with what size "bull", to give myself a fair crack
    This is only for pleasure but I regard it as more serious than "just plinking"
    Cheers in advance
    Dave

Hi DeeBee, I would suggest you start at 6mtr using a standard bullseye target (there are some free downloads on here)

Don't make it too hard for yourself to start with, you'll only be disappointed and quit. Make all your shooting achievable. Then move out to 10mtr and the further.

You can download some fun targets also.

Good luck, Phil

just as a guide line
    10m target bull is 12mm diameter
    20yd target bull is 33mm diameter

this is for competitive precision pistol events.
    on the other hand rapid fire 10m targets have a bull of 22mm,

but the important thing is to have fun! practise, practise and practise.
    dont worry about getting bulls,just concentrate on achieving good groups,thats a lot more rewarding.

have fun
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

I've got a few targets online here:
    download targets

There are lots of targets that I have scaled to give different sizings & distances - you should find something useful there as a start.

Hi Deebee,

It's taken me 9 months from getting my first pistol to where I am now happy(ish). with the way I shoot It does take a while to pick up.

I have got to the point where I can now swap from my co2 to my SSP and my Springers and within 15 shots get "into" each type. Start with a 10m target at 6m if you don't feel confident.

Jonyb is quite right, practice a lot and have fun. (and join the bbs comps)

atb
    Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Thanx all, everything taken on board!
    & I will join the bbbs comps when I've had a bit of practice
    Cheers Dave

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Cheers Dave
    Shooting an air pistol well is much harder than action movies might suggest. Frequent short practice and sessions of dry firing if your gun allows that will help a lot. Use the finger tip on the trigger it imparts less sideways movement when the trigger releases.
    As someone said above concentrate on getting a good group then work on aiming points or sight adjustments for different distances.

I found this last night, its a guide to improve 10m air pistol shooting including technique & approach. Its a seven part series, I've linked to part 7 as it includes the links for the previous 6 parts:

10 meter air pistol shooting

Quote Originally Posted by tom_thumb View Post
    download targets

There are lots of targets that I have scaled to give different sizings & distances - you should find something useful there as a start.
    Some handy targets there Tom....cheers!!
    Eric.

I found this last night, its a guide to improve 10m air pistol shooting including technique & approach. Its a seven part series, I've linked to part 7 as it includes the links for the previous 6 parts:
    Very good read for newbies and for those of us that have fallen into bad habits.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

I think that it is actually very important to size the target to the capabilities of the firearm oterwise you can easily get disheartened. Some of the National organisations seem to use smaller and smaller targets which are fine if you are an elite shooter. Their reasoning is that its the same for everyone. I have shot Umarexs on standard 10 metre targets at 10 metres but the best I could reasonably do was 7s and 8s. Their trigger just will not allow greater accuracy of the type enjoyed by a match air pistol. Using 20 yard targets at 10 metres completely opens up their use. The earlier post that suggested using a 10 metre target at 6 metres makes good common sense.

download targets

THANKS, I'll print some A4 6yd Air Pistol Targets tomorrow and promise to use those for target practice

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Cheers Dave

Join in the fun now anyway, Dave. It IS all just good fun, and shooting in the comps gives you incentive to practice: besides being good practice in itself.

I seldom have time to get in a practice session: yet I get a fair amount of pistol shooting in, just doing the bullseye, side match, Snooker, Police, and now, that side match.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Join in the fun now anyway, Dave. It IS all just good fun, and shooting in the comps gives you incentive to practice: besides being good practice in itself.

I seldom have time to get in a practice session: yet I get a fair amount of pistol shooting in, just doing the bullseye, side match, Snooker, Police, and now, that side match.

Jim

Will do soon Jim, bit chocker at the moment.
    Cheers all (as usual!!)
    Dave

Sorry, only just spotted this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    It's taken me 9 months from getting my first pistol to where I am now owning every imaginable type of pistol ever made. Twice.
    Fixed that for you, Russ.

Has anyone invited Deebee to join the UBC yet?