my first post in an absolute age ! (ive been to busy shooting, with my time hunting as its all i do nowadays),
if like me you hunt daytime, dusk and nightime, there are scopes ideal for all situations, but if its going to be a tool as my kit is nowadays, you should always go for something you find yourself completely at home with in use, forget the twidley knobs and paralax scopes, if its a hunter setup you want useability over form and bragging rights... my views are a fixed parralax scope, with amazing light gathering ability at a price that wont be a painful price to pay if you dink it on a fence or in the footwell of the 4x4... for ease of use , something like a hawke map 6 with a 50mm objective (cheap but great). simmons whitetail if you can get on with a duplex ret. and if you want a light sucking demon, something like a s&b 8x56(my first choice) if its more daytime sniping, id go for a leup vIII ... you pay for what you get, but remember your only shooting out to a relativley close yardage so optically its never going to be to hard ...people have an obsession with high mags whats wrong with shooting with a lower mag and gaining a massive advantage at nightime?
im a massive massive fan of the big nikko and i occasionally get my one out when im ammo testing, but for the field its just not practical, to big , to heavy and would make me want to waste time fiddling.... i know this because ive done it on my rimfires !!!!
good luck on your choice as its a very personal thing.... id just jump on a few shoots with mates and use there kit ! see what you like and can use 110% spot on and get something similar that reflects your wanted spend nothing wrong with copying if it works....