Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Mosquito Express 5.52

Webley Mosquito Express 5.52

Help please gentlefolk.

Having read a number of you guys waxing lyrical about Mozzies I bought 250 of the above today. Pricey @ £7.95 for 250 (versus £10 for AA Field that I normally use) - there is no weight shown on the tin.

Since I've no scales can anyone let me know what they weigh? Are these the lightweight 22 pellet - or something else?

Opinions on their performance please? They look well made and have deeper "cup" than AA Field.

I searched this forum and googled the brand but most reports relate to the Devils calibre when I'd appreciate your views on 22. As a matter of interest Mays of London (Buckhurst Hill) has a few tins of 5.5, 5.1 and 5.2

I thank you.

Gloucester or Cemaes or somewhere in between
    14.3 grains according to Chairgun
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog
    "It's not what you feel that matters, it's who you touch"

Hi Kev, I checked Chairgun and the Mosquito pellet is not listed on the version I bought October-ish last year - thought this was odd but just checked again and there it ain't!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Knapp View Post
    Hi Kev, I checked Chairgun and the Mosquito pellet is not listed on the version I bought October-ish last year - thought this was odd but just checked again and there it ain't!
    On the Chairgun site download the updated Pellet database by Fluffybuck and copy that file over the old Pellet database
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog

14.3 is the stated weight but they do vary a bit. They are a high quality pellet. I have four .22 rifles and they score top ten out of up to sixty different pellet types that I test with in all four of them....
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.

Thanks both RMY and Kev. Tried downloading the file you suggest Kev but no success even thought I accessed it via Chairgun site. Had to install latest version of Adobe and still failed so arseholes to it (said the grumpy old man) I'll wait until my poota literate sons visit to bale this incompetent old fart out (once again).

Do you fancy a project to photograph a Mozzie pellet going through a computer screen followed by one impatient old git jumping up and down on the 'kin thing

I love shooting and hate pootas with equal passion!

Look forward to trying out the Mozzies - even if it will confuse all my aim points but hey ho

btw admire all of the photos you post Kev - doesn't your work get in the way of your photography; passion for all things air rifle and obvious intent to log more posts than any other bbs scholar?

Thanks both RMY and Kev. Tried downloading the file you suggest Kev but no success even thought I accessed it via Chairgun site. Had to install latest version of Adobe and still failed so arseholes to it (said the grumpy old man) I'll wait until my poota literate sons visit to bale this incompetent old fart out (once again).

Do you fancy a project to photograph a Mozzie pellet going through a computer screen followed by one impatient old git jumping up and down on the 'kin thing

I love shooting and hate pootas with equal passion!

Look forward to trying out the Mozzies - even if it will confuse all my aim points but hey ho

btw admire all of the photos you post Kev - doesn't your work get in the way of your photography; passion for all things air rifle and obvious intent to log more posts than any other bbs scholar?
    Just noticed this is my 701st post, not bad for a amateur photographer that shoots more pellets with his camera than rifle lmao

Adobe shouldn't have anything to do with what you should be doing

Right click on the link in my previous post and use "Save as" or "Save target as" to copy the file to your hard drive.

Make sure Chairgun is not running and

Then look in program files\chairgun2\Pel folder. Rename the Pellet.mdb there to say Pellet_old.mdb and then copy the file you've downloaded into the same folder. Run Chairgun2 and you will see the additional pellet details added by Fluffy

I think they're fab pellets and both my rifles like them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSCF5559.jpg

They are well made. I'm no expert but against H&N FTT they group better for me.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...HNFTTLarge.jpg

shooting test groups

Thanks for the feedback gents, very positive feedback from both of you

when you're shooting test groups, suppose one shoots groups of 5 pellets of one brand (AA Field) say at 25 - 30 - 35 and 40 yards:

a. How many of the other type of pellets (Mozzies) do you fire through your rifle before testing the Mozzies at the same set of distances?

b. Do you clean the barrel before testing the Mozzies?

I ask as my RFD supplier advises just shoot the rifle and don't worry about cleaning the barrel.

Feedback appreciated

Thanks Kev - I'll try what you suggest tomorrow - 700 posts!!

Thanks for the feedback gents, very positive feedback from both of you

when you're shooting test groups, suppose one shoots groups of 5 pellets of one brand (AA Field) say at 25 - 30 - 35 and 40 yards:

a. How many of the other type of pellets (Mozzies) do you fire through your rifle before testing the Mozzies at the same set of distances?

b. Do you clean the barrel before testing the Mozzies?

I ask as my RFD supplier advises just shoot the rifle and don't worry about cleaning the barrel.

Feedback appreciated

Thanks Kev - I'll try what you suggest tomorrow - 700 posts!!
    UK Neil posted a reasonable thread on barrel conditioning which is pretty solid advice imo. With my Mk4 I started with Daystate FT select and then tried AA Fields 4.52 based on other opinions on here. I also tried 4.51 and 4.53 AA Fields, I settled back on 4.52s as they seem to work with my Mk4. I push a couple of cleaning felts through the barrel after a couple of tins and the rifle needs a couple of mags worth of pellets before the group really tightens up again.

Early batch (black tape to hold lid on), around 40% would weigh between 14.3 -.4 grns, 35% .20 -.30 grns , 15% .10-20 grn, the rest would be between 14 -14.10 grns and between .40 up to 14.50 odd.
    In my experience this pellet had /? has the greatest weight variation of all the JSB manufactured pellets. Don't let this put you off though, it's very good and the weight is v suitable foe 12ftlb .22 use,

Steve

Are you never off here Kev? (says he who sees most of your posts as they arrive)

Once again thanks - must say I'm highly sceptical as to how good felts are given they're through the barrel in nanoseconds (even in my pedestrian velocity 22) and a bit concerned they'll foul the internal moderator I understand lurks at the end of the barrel within the shroud on the Mk4, hence I favour careful use of the pullthrough if I'm to clean the barrel

Elephant Man?

By the way Kev - meant to ask what shape's you head? I only ask since the standard (and ergonomically beautiful) stock on my Mk4 seems to suit me fine yet you had to have yours seriously tweaked to get it to fit?

I even went and checked again it after your post in case I'd made a mistake

Are you never off here Kev? (says he who sees most of your posts as they arrive)

Once again thanks - must say I'm highly sceptical as to how good felts are given they're through the barrel in nanoseconds (even in my pedestrian velocity 22) and a bit concerned they'll foul the internal moderator I understand lurks at the end of the barrel within the shroud on the Mk4, hence I favour careful use of the pullthrough if I'm to clean the barrel
    The felts certainly remove a lot of the old pellet material/lube left behind in the barrel as they are black when you can find them

They seem to work fine for me. Whether I actually need to use them after a couple of tins is debateable as the grouping doesn't really open up but I use them regularly rather than having to clean a really dirty barrel after seeing the groups open up.

But I really am a novice at this game so what I do is based on what I think is best rather than knowing what is the best thing to do

Computer is next to the TV and I have the BBS up on one monitor and normally Photoshop up on another one with the TV showing random stuff which I rarely pay any attention to

By the way Kev - meant to ask what shape's you head? I only ask since the standard (and ergonomically beautiful) stock on my Mk4 seems to suit me fine yet you had to have yours seriously tweaked to get it to fit?

I even went and checked again it after your post in case I'd made a mistake
    Is your cheekbone on the top of the stock or just the side of your face? Distance from my cheekbone to centre of my eye is about 40-45mm