Thread: Scope creep/Cometa 300

Scope creep/Cometa 300

Anybody help me out with this, it's pretty bad after a couple of hours shooting the scopes attempting to make a break for freedom. I've done a search and it seems i may need an arrestor block? but what are they (please no 'they're a block that arrests movement') where can i get one and will they fit my rifle? (or is it incurable and i need to invest in a pcp)

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    If you have a two-piece scope mount, a one-piece mount might help.
    A Dampamount may help a little more (and may give extra protection to the scope, if the scope is valuable).
    Make sure that there is no oil on the dovetail when you fit the scope mounts and try not to get too much oil on the mounts when wiping the gun, otherwise that will make it easier for the scope mount to creep.

Arrestor blocks are basically a scope mount without the top half. Instead, the top half is usually another dovetail rail (so that arrestor blocks can also be used underneath scope mounts, to raise scope mounts about 1cm higher)

Here's a picture of one of my guns with an arrestor block behind a Dampamount:
    http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...k/Evo-T003.jpg

JSR (the bbs sponsor) lists various mounts on this link:
    http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/...portsmatch.HTM
    Arrestor blocks near the bottom of the page (AB3 RAISER / ARRESTOR BLOCK).
    Some people use cheap two-piece scope rings as arrestor blocks (without the top clamp screwed on)

Last edited by Fluffybuck; 14-01-2009 at 11:15 PM.

some rifles have a couple of holes in the rail towards the back.

if one of your mounts has an arrestor pin then use this at the back and drop it into the hole to stop movement.

other options are better mounts, some people really under estimate the benefit of good mounts on an air rifle. a one piece mount should help a little as there is a much larger point of contact with the scope rail.

if all else fails, a drop of weld will cure it! not exactly great as a long term or short term fix but it'll sort your problem!!!!

Thanks very much for the speedy replies just the info i was looking for. I've got two piece mounts so i'll look for a one piece dampamount? and slowly introduce the idea of investing in a PCP to the missus. Only had a gun since Christmas but i have the feeling this sport is going to be a financial black hole

I suspect there are an awful lot of people on here with that feeling
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.