Thread: wanted pen pal

wanted pen pal

hi i would like a e mail pal in the us,interested in the old west and mountain man guns.hope someone can help.cheers from wales

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hello, Jager! I'm in the US, getting more interested in the Old West and that whole (1865 - 1899) era when guns transitioned from percussion to cartridge, from black powder to nitro.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

pen pal

hi jim just a few things in my collection.
    reminton rolling block in 50.70
    colt navy in mint condition 36 cal
    colt peacemaker clone in 38 rimfire
    5 shot revolver the smoker in 41 rimfire
    muzzle loading carbine,percussion,i believe it to be a confederate made enfield two band
    unusual blanket gun percussion 15 inch barrel with huge breach.
    45 cal pinfire double barrel derrenger/hideout pistol.12mm.poss european.
    basket weave gun rig from about 1880.in mint condition.
    hope this gives you an idea of my interests,thanks for replying.i live near caernarfon in north wales uk.in the mountains.oh yes i left out my english 12 gauge pinfire,from 1897.cheers...

pal

sorry the name,s paul cheers.

Hi Paul. Fair old collection youve got there. I didnt know that remington had made a 50/70 so im learning something new. I have the Pedersoli long range creedmore in 45/70 and find it a great gun to shoot although i do tend to shoot it at 50meters which is probably close range for one of these. Iv taken the ladder sight off and fitted a simple v notch rear sight with a thin post front site which i prefer. Using 50grns of swiss and a home cast postel 535grn bullet i can keep it in a 5" circle when free standing which isnt too bad i suppose. One of the guys i shoot with on a saturday has an original 50/70 rolling block and that is more accurate than my repro, but Dave is a bloody good shot generally keeping them in a 4" group.
    What make/model is your 50 cal? Would be intrested to know what loads you use in it as a comparison to Daves original and my 45.
    Best Wishes, Tim

pal

hi mine is a swedish made remington made in 1873 under licence an shoots very well,it has an artic birch stock with great coloring.i size the 500 grain bullet to 512,this will take a buffalo down.lots of smoke and great sound!!!!cheers

hi, i also have a swedish rolling block. mines in 12.7x44r[a centrefire derivative of the swedish rimfire military cartridge simular in size and power to the 50/70].you are right they are great fun to shoot,that big old slow moving lump of lead has great knockdown power ,i once shot a small tree down with mine[oops] . i also have two 45/70s a perdesoli sharps sillouette and a marlin 1895 lever action,another great round which is very satisfying to shoot,another big old round which is great to shoot is the martini henry 577/450. i have a german cape gun in this calibre.this era 1860 to 1910 is also my favorite one ...greasemonkey

pal

i would love a winchester in 32/40,but it will have to wait,i have had a few pinfire revolvers,the cases are still available,easy to load and a nice change from modern technology,they do the job they were meant for.i lost interest in modern guns when handguns were banned in uk.it seems our government doesn,t trust us!great to hear from you guys,cheers

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Paul, I suspect we in the US will be facing some serious attempts at gun control again, as in the 1960's, with the new President and Congress.

Greasemonkey is a great guy to correspond with, he really knows his stuff and has quite a collection of old pieces.

I have never done any real BP shooting myself. I live in the city with no real access to "shootable" rural land: do some modern pistol shooting at an indoor club where my wife and I are members, but they don't permit shotguns, rifle calibers, or black powder. Hence, most of our shooting is done with air pistols in our back yard.

Some day, we hope to retire to the country where it will be easier to shoot.

Till then, I would like to educate myself about BP and early nitro cartridge weapons, and that whole great era (US West, UK's colonies) and build a small collection of pistols from that time.

My kitten Ophelia has been "helping" me type this message, so I'll blame any typos on her!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone