Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley hawk mark 3

webley hawk mark 3

Afternoon to you all, a friend at work whilst clearing out an elderly relatives attic room found one of the above. Its in resonable condition, bit of surface rust on the barrel but shots ok. Its been offered to me but any idea how much to offer! its in.22 and dose not seem to suffer from the old hawk problems of firing itself when you close the barrel or not fire at all. atb.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    Afternoon to you all, a friend at work whilst clearing out an elderly relatives attic room found one of the above. Its in resonable condition, bit of surface rust on the barrel but shots ok. Its been offered to me but any idea how much to offer! its in.22 and dose not seem to suffer from the old hawk problems of firing itself when you close the barrel or not fire at all. atb.
    Hi Fat man (do hope it's okay to call you that ) £50 max and strictly not a penny more ... There was an inherent problem with the MkIII that the rear pin holding the spring back when compressed did wear and come adrift. Also unlike the Hawk MkI and MkII, the MkIII came with a fixed single cal barrel whereas the aforementioned each came with a .22 and .177 barrel that were quickly interchangeable (the MkI via a bayonet affair and the MkII by a more reliable thread and grub screw system ). Hope this helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Just for general reference please see below links to examples of Webley & Scott Hawk rifles. First are two photos of an early MkII with both barrels. These early MkIIs shared the same stock style with the Hawk MkI. Second are two photos of Hawk MkIIs. In each photo the top rifle is an early MkII as mentioned above, and the lower example is a late MkII which conversely shared its generic stock style with the later Hawk MkIII and Vulcan MkI. Hope you find this of interest . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

hawk mark 3

Hi Gareth thanks for info and advice on above. Now see if they will sell at that price!. atb Fat man aka Dave Payne.

Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post

Hi Gareth thanks for info and advice on above. Now see if they will sell at that price!. atb Fat man aka Dave Payne.
    ... Hello again Dave, my pleasure and you are very welcome . Atb: G.

Excuse me Mr W-B, have you got the owners permission to use photos of the MKII? They are copy righted you know
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post

Excuse me Mr W-B, have you got the owners permission to use photos of the MKII? They are copy righted you know
    Dave
    No need -- the guy I sold it to has taken it to French France wiv him so UK law need not apply . Ha ha. Hi m8, hope the little belter is still taking pride of place in your collection . Atb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    No need -- the guy I sold it to has taken it to French France wiv him so UK law need not apply . Ha ha. Hi m8, hope the little belter is still taking pride of place in your collection . Atb: G.
    Hi Gareth, sure is mate, good luck with your new shoot
    Dave

Oh Dear Gareth, A customer of mine has just retired and we met up in Hitchin for a last couple of beers before Christmas, he was carrying a box which... you've guessed it .... contained a mint unused since 1979 Hawk Mk 111 it is complete with scope packing and slip , this was a christmas present for me. It shoots well, and accurate as can be, lovely little gun, surely worth more than 50 quid !
    Like the Thatchers eh, "Katy" too posh and expensive for us lot down here, we drink the regular traditional (rough) stuff. £1.90 a pint in the pub or £6 a gallon direct from the farm 3 miles from home.AAAHHH bliss
    Cheers Hic!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by banjodag View Post
    Oh Dear Gareth, A customer of mine has just retired and we met up in Hitchin for a last couple of beers before Christmas, he was carrying a box which... you've guessed it .... contained a mint unused since 1979 Hawk Mk 111 it is complete with scope packing and slip , this was a christmas present for me. It shoots well, and accurate as can be, lovely little gun, surely worth more than 50 quid !

Like the Thatchers eh, "Katy" too posh and expensive for us lot down here, we drink the regular traditional (rough) stuff. £1.90 a pint in the pub or £6 a gallon direct from the farm 3 miles from home. AAAHHH bliss
    Hi Mark,

Ha ha ... Trouble is the rough stuff don't travel, and by the time it gets to us up here it's only fit for preserving eggs and onions (not that it's much better before it sets of ). Yes the Hawk MkIII does shoot well but below 9.5ft.lb and if you fettle it to go over the 11ft.lb barrier it puts undue strain on the pin detailed in post number two above, which will then stretch the location holes in the action tube, and these elongated holes are virtually impossible to repair and dangerous to leave !!!

If your Hawk MkIII in good trim with both original open sights, scope and good blue (unlike the gun detailed in the opener), has not developed the other renown Hawk MkIII fault of firing when you close the breech (as has the gun detailed in the opener), then yes yours is possibly worth closer to the £100 mark, but only if the aforementioned pin location holes are as intended . Atb and keep suppin' that cider : G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 20-01-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: to ad "keep suppin' that cider" :-D

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ha ha ... Trouble is the rough stuff don't travel, and by the time it gets to us up here it's only fit for preserving eggs and onions (not that it's much better before it sets of ).
    I well remember travelling the few short miles to Thatchers for five litre bottles of the stuff. You are right enough that it didn't travel well or far. It didn't keep very long either. Most of us didn't get to find this out until one lad left a full container of the stuff in a locker over the summer break. He came back to find his room stinking of apples and a very soggy locker!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Hawk Mk 3
    Thanks for the reply Gareth, Glad to say that my Hawk is perfect having hardly been used. There is a tin of pellets in the box with only a few missing
    they are Milbro Caledonian 22 with a red label and a price label at £4.50 they are obviously not the pellets supplied with the gun as decimalisation came in Feb 1971, the originals would have been webley anyway I suppose. The gun is a great garden plinker though.

THATCHERS
    To Gareth & Sam. You are both so right, it doesnt travel, so do what three of my mates did some years back when travelling to a bike festival in a beat up old van, they bought a 5 gallon barrel of Thatchers which they tied to the handbrake lever to avoid spillage, drilled a hole in the top of the plastic barrel and inserted a half inch bore plastic pipe and shared the pipe around like an Arab hookah on the trip, thus they ensured fresh cider for the trip. when the driver appeared in court on a drink drive charge the front seat passenger appearing as a witness and assured the judge that the driver was not drunk as he had "seen his hand move".

Goodnight Cheers All
    Mark

It travelled well enough to the British Legion in Weston though. Made for a damned cheap night before moving on to the clubs! Never tasted quite the same drinking it out of pint pots as opposed to mugs though.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Thats a fact Sam ,Got to be china to make it taste right. Legion club now gone bust and turned into a nightclub for under age idiots the rest of the clubs in town are great if you seek mindless violence as a weekend recreation.
    Of course the working mens club is still wonderful (cider 60p a pint for pensioners over Christmas) Sam , if you have happy memories of Weston keep it that way and dont visit.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by banjodag View Post
    Sam , if you have happy memories of Weston keep it that way and dont visit.
    Mark
    Mark,
    there are plenty of us that still have happy memories of Weston. I've seen a few grown men get misty eyed over the pictures of the demolished place we lived.
    It's been over ten years since I've been back and I'd be stunned if I'd even recognise it now. If I drank myself insensible it may look a little more familiar though!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!