Thread: XVD 14 mini review

Gary C Guest

XVD 14 mini review

I took out an XVD14 (Gen 2 Soviet Bazaar attachment) tonight. IMHO this is the best airgun NV sight I have used. It has a picture comparable to, or slightly better than , the best Gen 1 NV sight in resolution and light gain but no fish eye. So better than the best Gen 1. Not as good as Gen 2 then ?

BUT - We buy for useablity NOT one feature and the following reasons make it A1 :

x6 mag when I tested it.
    Choice of your own reticule
    Low profile mounts
    Light weight
    Versatility
    Cost

Please note I'm talking airgun. I'd sooner use it than a Kite for an airgun. For Rimmy and above I don't think long distance performance on a larger targert would be as good and i'd be inclined to think about a dedicated set up (unless the backdrop was good.)

When you think that UK prices - this is the same price (kit and sliding rail) as a new ATN Crusader . you are however going to save "x" pounds on that second gun, carry half the kit and possibly save a slot on your ticket.

I'll be using one, or something very similar, this winter.

Hi Gary, knowing that you think the best gen1 is a Falcon, (hopefully, and I wouldn't disagree with you one bit), I'm surprised that in comparison the gen2 XVD is only "comparable to, or slightly better than" the gen1 scopes.
    Before you jump down my throat (hypothetically speaking of course) the other day I got the gen1 XVD, and IMHO it's far better than the Falcon and any other gen1+ dedicated NV scope I've tried.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

James
    When you think that UK prices - this is the same price (kit and sliding rail) as a new ATN Crusader .
    How much is the XVD14, Gary?

I'm looking to get a NV set up for this winter but have absolutely no idea where to start. Would this be the ideal, practical starter scope?

Cheers

James

From £1298, whereas the gen1 unit is £298 from Soviet Bazaar.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Gary C Guest
    I had a Gen 1 piece from Vladimir to take a look at. It showed up the usual faults of Gen 1 such as fish eye and very poor light gain.
    As soon as the scope got over 2.5 is was barely useable. I showed these systems to Sammie and Ter and both rated the Falcon far better.
    Rather than slate it in print I spoke to Vladimir about it and he pointed out that it is primarily a monocular which can be used as a weapon site add on. As a monocular it's the best I've used.

In terms of opinions I won't slate you for a preference. I've tried to get accross in this mini review and all the rest I've done - it's about useability. Remember, you buy it to kill rabbits not to watch the neighbours getting undressed. BEST is subjective in a killing aid- some people may be prioritise weight, some may prioritise mag - some picture quality.

In many ways like buying a gun - I would reccomend trying before you buy. £1500 buys you an XVD Gen 2 set up, it will also buy you a Kite , an ATN Crusader or 2 of Sids conversions. Then buy the one YOU feel happiest with.

If anybody wants to take a look on the Saturday at Cheshire I can bring up the 3 systems - Gen1 and Gen 2 XVD plus the Falcon.

That is rather strange Gary, I put my gen1 XVD on a 10x40 Elite Tactical and couldn't get a good picture while seeing the scope reticle clearly, tried it on a Varmint II 4-16x44 and still couldn't get it right, just as I was about to bin it, (not really, but I was really disheartened), I noticed that both lenses where adjustable (crap destructions and in a rush to try it I missed the adjustable eye-bell, doh!!!) anyway, put it back on and set the scope at a 30yd PA, adjusted the XV to suit, and the picture was excellent up to 7x mag, it started to fish-eye above 7x. Like I say, the picture is far better than the Falcon I had when using at air-gun ranges. Even at 7yds the picture was amazing.
    The only gripe I have is the weight resting on the scope, a very slight knock or a flick of the rifle would move the rig which affects the picture.
    Regarding the cost, and Gary's comments on the gen2 just about bettering the Falcon gen1 scope, I'll stick with the XVD gen1 as it's worth the money and has superb picture once you get it setup right. I also believe that the HTH-205 IR illuminator can be replaced with a much lighter & smaller laser illuminator which reduces the weight and would probably reduce the knock/flick effect.
    Just my honest opinion, and I'd recommend anyone to try before you buy.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Gary C Guest
    Just a footnote
    I was using a cheap scope. (Varmint IIRC) When I tested the sliding rail wasn't available and was expected to be big bucks or so so I assumed a dedicated rig for NV would be used. In that case the cost of the NV system is Scope + Monucular. A £300 scope makes the whole system £600...
    For that sort of cash you are on your way to Sids Gen 2.

If you use a class scope you will get much better performance with the Gen 1 kit. A good possibility is that the sliding rail (now almost available) and gen 1 monocular as a combo for £450 will make a versatile and cost effective solution.

THAT makes it a cheap set up as you can use your existing gun.

The illuminator used on the Gen 2 kit is excellent, small light and powerful
    Last edited by Gary C; 10-07-2004 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks for the info guys.

James