Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residual energy

Residual energy

Does anyone know how much energy would be left in say an average .177 pellet at 100yds.

I would have thought that even making a hole in the paper target at that would be difficult.

This question is because I have recently become interested in long range target shooting but would like a bit more info.

ATB
    GS
    Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."1984

Chairgun says nearly 4 ft.lbs shooting an 8.4 JSB exact (BC 0.0220) at 12 ft.lbs so yes it will penetrate a paper target.

Interesting how quickly it tails off from the muzzle though. If launched at 12 it's got about 10.75 at 10 yds.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

What range for 6ft/b then! as i have been told it takes that amount of power for a kill!!!! pending quarry

It depends of the pellet type you use.
    You need to try pellets to see the type that is best for your gun(best bc and accuracy).
    Dont expect more than 2,5-3 flb at 100 yard even with the best pellet.
    And the trajectory would be like the one of a mortar s

Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    What range for 6ft/b then! as i have been told it takes that amount of power for a kill!!!! pending quarry

If placed in EXACTLY the right place - legal limit air rifles are not intended for long range hunting. 50 yards is the accepted absolute maximum with a top of the range PCP off a bi-pod on a perfect day.

If you need to shoot small vermin at ranges beyond this then you have a valid reason to apply for a FAC for .22 lr or .17 hmr or FAC air. A legal limit air rifle is not the tool for the job.

I have done headshots at pigeons at 50 metres and killed them. At 12ft/b
    I wouldn't even consider a rabbit.
    my question was only for info reasons
    thanks for the reply
    Last edited by redrooster; 04-02-2009 at 11:02 PM.

A .177 will penetrate one side of a tin can, (not a soft drinks can,) at 100 yards.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    A .177 will penetrate one side of a tin can, (not a soft drinks can,) at 100 yards.

Gus
    At 12fpe ??

Links or evidence

I may be a bit cynical but this doesnt match my experience even at lesser distances.

GS
    Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."1984

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    At 12fpe ??

Links or evidence

I may be a bit cynical but this doesnt match my experience even at lesser distances.

GS
    Tough.... you can take my word, or not..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

In that case it will be a not

Anyone can tell me anything but without some proof it has no credibilty.

100 yds at 12fpe making a hole in say a baked bean can. Sorry mate I'm not having that.

GS

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Digressing slightly, article in this months airgunner says it takes only 0.75ft.lbs to drop a rabbit, may be able to push out to 130+ yds then chaps
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by jayt07 View Post
    Digressing slightly, article in this months airgunner says it takes only 0.75ft.lbs to drop a rabbit, may be able to push out to 130+ yds then chaps

.75 to drop a rabbit, if i flick its ear id give it more than .75!!! lol
    Rapid MK1 .22 mfr .177 hw80 .22 venom hw77 .177 venom hw97 .177 venom 12g beretta silver pigeon 3

As with the tin can, I dont believe it.
    Unless you count a fluke shot through the eye into the brain.

Jesus we will be hunting with a gat next

That was in Airgunner in what context??

GS

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    As with the tin can, I dont believe it.
    Unless you count a fluke shot through the eye into the brain.

Jesus we will be hunting with a gat next

That was in Airgunner in what context??

GS
    page 47 of the march edition, a 3 page spread on pellet peformance, in the h&n pointed paragraph.
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

~210 fps with an 8grain pellet = .75f/libs
    My fun pistol(rohm twinmaster co2 ) shoots almost twice faster than that and it can't penetrate a tin can at 10 meters, a rabbit at 2 meters maybe it can be killed but i haven't tried.

With .75 libs the rabbit will probably just be scared to death
    Steyr LG110HP 40Joule http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/DSC02016.jpg , Steyr LP10, Air-Arms Prosport .177