Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residual energy

So it sounds like some serious BS being spouted by one of our monthlys.

The reason I originally posted this thread was because of a claim on another forum that a pellet fired from a 12fpe rifle retains sufficient energy to kill a rabbit at 100yds.

I do not with the exception of the afforementioned absolute fluke shot believe this,and put the point that the claim was wrong.

IMHO it was at best misguided and at its worst irresponsible.

However I dont have any figures or stats to back this up.

Now there seems to be some conflicting information from members and far worse from Airgunner (although I have not seen the article).

I do realise that this is longe range target shooting which is why I asked the question in its original form,however it seems to have naturally veered towards the rabbit question.

GS
    Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."1984

Post #2?

With JSBs shot from my HW100, Chairgun2 is accurate to 2 clicks at 50 yds so I think it's safe to assume it's accurate enough that if it says 3.84 ft.lbs at 100yds with same pellet at 801fps then it must be at least 3.5.

Penetrate one side of a can? Well depends on the can, the pellet, and the angle of impact, but I'd say it would have the energy.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

First a proviso, because I think we have to be very careful here in terms of how we represent ourselves.

This thread amounts to a THEORETICAL discussion between experienced air gunners who have an interest in the fine details of what can be achieved at extreme range. However, there are always those misguided individuals who will see this sort of a discussion as an vindication or justification for unethical shooting practises. That's why this section is intended only for the discussion of long range target shooting. Having said that there is some mis-information being bandied around on the thread so I'm going to present some "facts" as they have been explained to me.

Chairgun says that a JSB exact in .177 fired at 11.833 ft lbs will retain 3.79 ft lbs at 100 yards. I've heard a figure of 3.5 ft lbs most often quoted as the power needed to penetrate a rabbit skull. So, THEORETICALLY there is enough power to kill but in the realm of theoretical discussion is where this one should remain.

Now the soup can. I've got a measured 100 yards that I use on fine days for a bit of long range target shooting. Unfortunately I couldn't find a soup can so I used an old JSB pellet tin, sealed up and taped onto a sturdy wooden board.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ers/tin001.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ers/tin002.jpg

I hit it 3 times, one shot hit the top of the tin and crushed it and the other two hit centrally and penetrated well. As you can see, they left a good dent in the other part of the tin but were not able to penetrate further due to this part being taped to the board. Not sure if they would have got right through, I'll try and do it again.

Not sure what you can take from this other than the fact that there is still enough energy retained to make 100 yard target shooting with 12 ft lb feasible on very still days.

Thanks thats some interesting info.
    At risk of seeming pedantic, in the case of the can "not a drinks can" I would have thought the claimant was referring to a Baked bean,soup or suchlike and its on that that I based my judgement.The pellet tin being not much thicker than a drinks can.

IMHO the possibility of killing a rabbit at that distance depends on a lot of other factors as well as the RE,but it seems on that particular point I may have been mistaken.

It is not something I would attempt or advise anyone else to try, the hunters on here I think would all agree that we have a responsibility to our quarry,to be as accurate,quick and stress free in the kill as possible.

I have another question relevant but I will move it to "Airgun related" as I appreciate this section is for target shooters.

GS
    Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."1984

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Thanks thats some interesting info.
    At risk of seeming pedantic, in the case of the can "not a drinks can" I would have thought the claimant was referring to a Baked bean,soup or suchlike and its on that that I based my judgement.The pellet tin being not much thicker than a drinks can.

IMHO the possibility of killing a rabbit at that distance depends on a lot of other factors as well as the RE,but it seems on that particular point I may have been mistaken.

It is not something I would attempt or advise anyone else to try, the hunters on here I think would all agree that we have a responsibility to our quarry,to be as accurate,quick and stress free in the kill as possible.

I have another question relevant but I will move it to "Airgun related" as I appreciate this section is for target shooters.

GS
    I'd say you're right that a soup can is made of thicker metal than a pellet tin but a pellet tin is definitely thicker metal than a drinks can.

In any case, I agree with you that tin cans or paper are all that should be being shot at with an air rifle at 100 yards - if you want 100 yard rabbits get a .17 HMR - that'll go through a soup can and then some!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    In that case it will be a not

Anyone can tell me anything but without some proof it has no credibilty.

100 yds at 12fpe making a hole in say a baked bean can. Sorry mate I'm not having that.

GS
    Just revisited this thread to see if top shot, (I think I mean "shot,") gunslinger, has managed to hit a tin can at 100 yards. If so, he would have seen a hole in it. As he lives in Exeter, he is welcome to pop down to Dartmoor Marksmen FTC on a Sunday morning, and I will show him how its done. PM me for a map.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.