Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melting and pouring lead for BP pistol

Hi Baz. If you go to the Lee web site at www.leeprecision.com and look at the melter section mine is the production pot iv with 4" clearance. Like yours mine can be a bit tricky to get the temp just right but after using it for a while you get used to it. I certainly have to be carefull not to point the fan i use to clear fumes at it or it will go cool on you. I think if i was going to replace it i would probably go for the bigger 20lb model with the bigger element as this would probably be less prone to tempreture problems and i could get a few more big old .577s out of each pot full.
    Take care, Tim

Hi Tim
    I've just had a look at the melters on the Lee site, mine is a much earlier model, as I said in my previous post, the pot support on mine is a rectangular box, where the IV pot is hexagonal. I bought mine from another BBS member and he didn't know which model it was, so God knows how old it is, but the part for your model still fit mine (with a bit of manipulation here and there )
    Lee said the parts were OK for my IV model, because basically they're the same, except for the pot support.
    I think I might get the larger melter, as you suggested, because I'm thinking of buying a Sharps Buffalo copy, in .45/70 cal, also a .45 cal Hawken and there's a .44 cal Pietta Remington 1858 Buffalo (blued with a brass body) and a .36 cal Euro Arms Remington 1858, for the wife (in stainless steel) both with target sights, we're getting from a couple of club members, to make amunition for, so I definately think a bigger melter is in order
    Can't wait to be able to apply for our tickets, not long though, the end of next month, that's when our probation with our shooting club ends.
    So hopefully we should be sorted by about April, as thats the sort of time they're taking to issue them around here, in Carmarthenshire, well that's what our Police liason officer has told us.

Bye for now !

All the best
    Baz
    Toys : .308 Rem 700 SPS Tac, 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin K31, 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant M44, .45/70 Browning Mod 1885 HWTR, 8x60R Portuguese Kropatscheck, .58cal PH 1861 Enfield Carbine, .22LR-CZ452 Silhouette Tac, .22LR Smith & Wesson-M&P 15-22-M4 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I wear a face mask fed with air through a flexible hose from outside.
    Did you know it's not possible to eat enough lead to kill you in one sitting. I've been casting it for years without any ill effercts sghrhd htf dc....