Thread: .44.....what sizes are you all cooking?

.44.....what sizes are you all cooking?

Hi all, been looking at the various ball moulds available ranging from .451 and up. Now allowing for the possible machining tolerances of the various manufacturers what is the most common fit all size??
    If anyone could post their pistol make and size they cast that would be great. Wan't to avoid the situation of ordering the wrong mould so if by concensus for example .451 comes out as the favourite I will gladly follow the flock.

PS I'm awaiting the return of the variation for .44 so maybe I'll pick a shooting iron from the favourite again.

Cheers

BALL SIZE

Ruger Old Army I use .457 Lee ball mould fits in the cylinder a treat just skims off a tiny lead ring when you seat it down...perfect

Pietta Rem NMA 44 cal - I use a ball cast from a 457 Lee mould & soft lead

Cheers

Roy

Uberti - .454.
    Euroarms Rogers - .451.

ball size

rogers and spencer 451". lepage 435" +patch. ruger old army 457".
    There isnt a fit all size ball, but some makes/models do use the same size.
    .451" seems to be common to a couple of models. Best to get your variation back and buy your pistol before getting a mold.
    Good luck with your variation, keep us up to date with how you get on and what you buy. Tim

I've tried all sizes in a Pietta Remington NMA and a Pietta Remington Buffalo, ranging from .45 - .457, ball's, conicals and ballett's and the one's I found to be the most accurate were.

Ballett's .45 (found these to be the most accurate, but you can't buy
    them over here anymore, unless someone know's different)

Balls : .457 (cuts a nice ring of lead off the ball making a perfect fit)
    Balls : .454 (almost the same as above, but not quite as accurate)

Connical's : .452 & .454 (at 25 yds not stable enough to be accurate,
    work better, if loaded wrong way round
    but still not as accurate as the balls)

This is just my humble opinion, some, if not all shooters will have totally different results.
    It could be that I'm just a crap shot

ATB
    Baz

Cheers all, seems to be the tighter end of the scale is more popular for the good sealing/ seating properties??
    As said I'd probably be better waiting til the pistol is here and do an accurate chamber check.
    Thanks for the replies so far

Hi BAz

Good post !

Hows it all going ???

Which Ballett were you using - can you PM or post a link for me

Cheers

Roy

Hi Roy,

Cheers Mate, Much better now, after the op !!! and I just thought I would add my two penneth . Hope you're keeping well !!!

The Ballett's I was using were .45 cal, very kindly given to me by Loiner 1965, when he loaned me some molds and I've been trying to find a company over here that still sells them, ie new old stock. Henry Krank's used to sell them, but they no longer stock them, so I'm still looking. Most of the sites I've looked at say that the "BUFFALO BULLET COMPANY" are no longer producing the Ballett's, so I might have another search and see if anyone makes a mold for that type of round, I'll let you know, if I have any success.

All the best
    Baz
    Toys : .308 Rem 700 SPS Tac, 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin K31, 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant M44, .45/70 Browning Mod 1885 HWTR, 8x60R Portuguese Kropatscheck, .58cal PH 1861 Enfield Carbine, .22LR-CZ452 Silhouette Tac, .22LR Smith & Wesson-M&P 15-22-M4 Carbine

.454 LEE mould - Euroarms NMA Remington 58 - target s/s. I tried .451 Hornady not tight enough.