Thread: .22 Chinese made Westlake rifle, how old?

.22 Chinese made Westlake rifle, how old?

I have just found an old Westlake rifle in my loft, can any of you Airgun BBS collectors tell me roughly how old this Chinese made actually is, I think either side of the mid 1980's as I vaguely remember these early Chinese imports advertised in the hobby magazines. I have the urge after recent threads for and against the quality of similar rifles to see just what can be done to this rifle to achieve a decent plinker or possibly close range ratter with a bit of TLC. I have just chronoed it at between 318 and 332 fps does anyone know what to expect ft lbs wise.

Thankyou in anticipation .
    Non Nobis Solum Sed Toti Mundo Nati.

Co-founder of "Treats4BritishTroops"

Westlake

Quote Originally Posted by clifftop View Post
    I have just found an old Westlake rifle in my loft, can any of you Airgun BBS collectors tell me roughly how old this Chinese made actually is, I think either side of the mid 1980's as I vaguely remember these early Chinese imports advertised in the hobby magazines. I have the urge after recent threads for and against the quality of similar rifles to see just what can be done to this rifle to achieve a decent plinker or possibly close range ratter with a bit of TLC. I have just chronoed it at between 318 and 332 fps does anyone know what to expect ft lbs wise.

Thankyou in anticipation .
    Hi Clifftop,
    Used to bring these in through John Nash at SMK during the early 90s, will need a pic to age her as early models had little address, pic to my email.
    Cheers Glynn.

Am I correct in thinking that the SMK B2 is the same model?

Westlake & B2

Hi Clifftop,

Westlake as with the Lion & BAM are all brand names, SMK are now useing XS to improve the image. During the 80s
    90s & a little later with NOS you would see the name Westlake on their rifles & pistols. But to answer your question Westlake & B2 are one of same. I have one of the earliest Westlake prototypes in my collection dated 1983 this was used by Reps to introduce them into are UK market & did'nt they do well. Originaly designed as a training rifle for Chinese Army & other Govt contracts.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Glynn.

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    Hi Clifftop,

Westlake as with the Lion & BAM are all brand names, SMK are now useing XS to improve the image. During the 80s
    90s & a little later with NOS you would see the name Westlake on their rifles & pistols. But to answer your question Westlake & B2 are one of same. I have one of the earliest Westlake prototypes in my collection dated 1983 this was used by Reps to introduce them into are UK market & did'nt they do well. Originaly designed as a training rifle for Chinese Army & other Govt contracts.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Glynn.
    Very interesting, thanks Glynn.

What age bracket could mine fall into then?

Cliff.

Westlake

Quote Originally Posted by clifftop View Post
    Very interesting, thanks Glynn.

What age bracket could mine fall into then?

Cliff.
    Hi Cifftop, Without a pic I can only go on the Westlake cylinder address, as stock did change shape in forend, heel & toe, comb pitch etc, I could only say 80s 90s era. Is she scope railed, as this was an extra option.
    Send me a pic & I will date her.
    Cheers Glynn.

Where's the cylinder address? What bit do I need to photograph?

I have a good digi camera with macro so it shouldn't be too hard to do, but I can only see the Westlake mark at the rear top end of the action.

Westlake

Hi Clifftop,
    That is the address on the action, just take a pic of the whole rifle, I can tell from the shape of the stock it's year of manufacture.
    Cheers Glynn.

Hi Clifftop,
    That is the address on the action, just take a pic of the whole rifle, I can tell from the shape of the stock it's year of manufacture.
    Cheers Glynn.
    Okay mate, it's going to be tomorrow (or later) but I'll post a link to the picture (photobucket) on here.

Thanks for all your input mate, much appreciated. I know it's a cheapo gun, but I'd love to get it back into decent condition, or improve on the original design if I can.

Cliff

Westlake

Hi Clifftop,

No problem, I will look forward to your pic. Lots you can do to a Westlake B2 for the sub 12 ft.lbs, but you will need a Chrono. Have a goodnight.

Cheers Glynn.

hi all on the subject of chinese rifles does any one know anything about snowpeak guns? i've a smoothbore .177 with muzzle adapted for firing corks,looks to well made to be chinese but a reliable source says it is,sorry to hijack your thread hope you don't mind regards graham.

New to me

Hi Graham,

I know most of the old China steel, but this one is NEW to me hope some one else can help.

Cheers Glynn.

Hi Clifftop,

No problem, I will look forward to your pic. Lots you can do to a Westlake B2 for the sub 12 ft.lbs, but you will need a Chrono. Have a goodnight.

Cheers Glynn.
    Just bought a Combro Mk4 today.

Hi Graham,

I know most of the old China steel, but this one is NEW to me hope some one else can help.

Cheers Glynn.
    thanks for the reply glynn,i might start a new thread for this query i don't like hijacking threads regards graham.