Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Older Springer Top 10 Collection List.

Older Springer Top 10 Collection List.

Want to compile a top 10 of collectors rifles to start off my collection of older guns. Just rifles.

I have purchased a FWB127 and want an Omega. What other rifles. Top 10 list.

Springers only.

It all depends on how far back you want to go, but I would suggest:
    Webley Mk.III
    BSA Airsporter
    Weihrauch HW35E
    Weihrauch HW80
    I would be tempted to list many more Webleys, but as they are not everyones choice I have listed a few of what I would term, 'The Classics'.
    There are so many to choose from.

If your looking 70's 80's then HW35, Mercury/Airsporter, Tracker maybe or Hawk, I'll go and get my old AGW mags.

Chris.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    These are 'classic' springers, all with excellent build quality and each with their own engineering innovations and 'character'. The Anschutz, the HW35 Export and the Park will all hold their own with modern offerings in terms of accuracy.

Anschutz 335

Weihrauch HW35 Export

BSA Mercury 'S'

BSF B55 Bavaria Deluxe (or the BSF S70)

Original 50

Feinwerkbau 300

Weihrauch HW55

Webley Mk 3 underlever

Original 45

Park HR91 (or 93)

That should keep you going!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 07-06-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Yep them ones

Thanks. I have found that as I have read up on these guns, many rifles which I would not have given a second look to are becoming appealing.

I think this is largely due to learning and having much more of an appreciation of their quailty engineering as well as realisng that these older guns can really hold their own with guns made decades later.

I got back into airgunning after many years and was at first mesmerized with all the new gadgets and innovations which had come along and basically put these older guns out of mind when it came to collecting. Now after joining the bbs and reading and seeing pictures of these rifles I find I do not want the latest PCP etc and have started to just concentrate on these.

Always been more of a springer man and have even started to get rid of most of my co2 pistols for springers like the fwb65.

Have even got into the older target rifles which at one time I found ugly as sin

My selection

FWB 127 (Hunting)
    FWB 124 (Target)
    Webley Mk.III
    Weihrauch HW80
    BSA Airsporter
    Weihrauch HW35E
    Weihrauch HW77

In order
    Winchester 9422 .22lr with a Bushnell Sports Chief 2-7x 32 - AA Mistral .22 with a Hawk 2-7x32
    Weihrauch 45 Pistol in .177 - Original 50 .22 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 - Browning SA .22lr

You need to start with what era you want: Pre war; 1060's and 70's; 80's; 90's modern. They all have a top ten
    You also need to decide on bog standard; deluxe or custom as rifles from the 80's onwards come in all three formats.
    Do you want field target rifles, target rifles or sporting rifles?
    Buy John Walters The Airgun Book Fourth edition for most of the 80's stars and then Airgun and Airgunner for the later years.
    Do you want one of the best from each maker or the best rifles from that era? For example HW 35E, 80, and 77 were better that anything British. Don't forget the Original 45 which was one of the best rifles ever.

Tell us which way you want to go. 22 rifles later and I still have holes in my 80's collection.

1060's

Surely a mistake?.

Will start post war, custom deluxe models first, target rifles then hunters. Best from each maker.

To begin with.

Also may have to amend it to top 100

To add to your FWB 127 and Webley Omega to be, I would suggest the following iconic rifles.

Webley Mk3
    HW35e
    At least one of the pre-war BSA variants.
    BSA Mercury 'S'
    BSA Meteor
    BSA Airsporter

and If you're feeling thrifty, a Webley Service mk?.

Don't forget an Original Mod 50, 71 vintage with scnabell stock. Sure not the most powerfull gun in the rack but the sleekest.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

airsporter
    web mk3
    fwb 127
    web eclipse
    bsa meteor
    winerack 77
    i wouldnt argue the toss over the above each has its own following but the fwb has its hooks in so many of the bbs membership i wouldnt be surprised if it took the laurals.incidendly i have all the above and some but the fwb maintains its place in my weekly hunting trips and has converted some of my pcp mates back to the fold.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

The HW35 has got to be in there as it was so far ahead of its time. HW77 because it was so popular in field target. BSA Meteor because so many pepole learnt to shoot with it.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by el maipino View Post
    Want to compile a top 10 of collectors rifles to start off my collection of older guns. Just rifles. I have purchased a FWB127 and want an Omega. What other rifles. Top 10 list.
    Woo-hoo ... Love these types of threads. Well you've started well with those two, so here are eight more to give you my top ten along with my ranking of the above ...

1) Webley Omega (either cal -- I have the carbine .177),
    2) FWB Sport (again either the 124 .177 or the 127 .22),
    3) HW35 (any variant and either cal, but I pref .22 here),
    4) Anshutz LG335 (think the .177 superior here @ 10ft.lb),
    5) BSA Airsporter MkI or MkII in .22 only (.177 too barky),
    6) Webley MkIII in either caliber (although mine is in .22),
    7) Webley Eclipse MkII in either caliber (mine is in .177),
    8) Milbro Diana G80 or G79 in .177 pref (if not .22 will do),
    9) Air Arms TX200 in .177 (mine is a MkIII walnut TX-HC), and finally ...
    10) a BSA Meteor variant (I have a 1959 MkI in .22).

Have left out my rare items such as my Airgunaid SP-5 .20 cal Hunter and my Milbro Diana Series 70 Mod.71 as these are too obscure to be included in a bench mark top ten, but had we run to an eleventh and twelfth slot, would have probably included a BSA pre-war under lever (I have a 1920s .177 Light Pattern ), and a walnut Webley Vulcan MkI or MkII in either flavour (mine being a MkI .177). Right then, there you go, I enjoyed that . Atb: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 07-06-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: coz I can :-)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

From the pictures Ican find on the bbs and other forums as well as the geneneral net these rifles seem to have much more charcater than a lot of the modern offerings. I think I am going to concentrate on these rifles for the foreseable future.

I had seen some rifles from the pre war era and had dismissed them as ugly but said the same about some 1970-80's rifles which I now find appealing, so will probably go for some of them too if I can find any for sale.

Last time I was abroad I came across a gunsmith who had a pile of old airguns, and like a retard I did not even take a look.

So jam butties for the wife and kids for a bit as I look to buy.