Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Differences - The Final Word

FT Shooter Guest

Pellet Differences - The Final Word

Having had more than a few "discussions" on here about JSB Exact pellets and their likeness to Daystates, Air Arms and Lazadomes, after the following question and answer session with Josef Schulz, owner of JSB, the doubters can be silenced! I and countless others will continue to buy JSB's in the sound knowledge that they are the same as their more expensive "other label only" brands.

Q.I have always been under the impression that in 0.177 the AA's were a different design but the Daystates were exactly the same as the Exacts, is this correct?

A.Yes, this is correct. The different design can be recognized very easily as the AA's type doesn't have a little neck between the skirt and the head as the rest of the pellets. The "Daystate/JSB Exact" type is produced on two pressing lines but it is not distinguished (which one will be Daystate, or JSB Exact, or Lazadome, or Webley and Scott....). It is just marked on the label placed on the bottom.

Q.In 0.22 I assume that both the AA and Daystate are exactly the same as the Exact, is this correct?

A.No, there is the same difference as in the cal 0.177 pellets.

Q.Are all pellets subject to the same quality control and made using the same dies i.e. are Daystate pellets simply Exacts with a Daystate label and similarly for Lazerdomes etc without any special manufacturing or selection etc.

A.Yes, the quality control is absolutely the same with the same quality demand.

JSB

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Nice info
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Beer Hunter Guest
    Have a look at the bottom of page:
    http://www.airgun.org/articles/aas410kpellets.html

Pics of both AA and JSB in .22

TER...

Snapshot. Guest
    So why the **** are Lazadomes in .177 supposed to be 9 grains instead of the 8.44 that all the others are? Is anyone in a position to accurately weigh some?

Jonathan

Already have done Jonathan. 8.4 was the lightest, 8.7 the heaviest, 8.5 was the average.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Snapshot. Guest
    8.5 average weight is close enough. I wonder why Webley say they're 9.

Easy.

When you set up your rifle you probably tune the velocity to give you as close to 12fp as you think you can, with the known pellet weight.

If you "think" the weight is 9 grains you will set a maximum velocity about 770 feet per second, whereas if the pellet actually weighs 8.44 grains - the "official JSB weight" - your gun is doing 11.2 fp or thereabouts.

The manufacturer is building in a safety margin.

Rich

Originally posted by TER...
    Have a look at the bottom of page:
    http://www.airgun.org/articles/aas410kpellets.html

Pics of both AA and JSB in .22

TER...

I know TER has said it before and I agree with him, they are not the same, you can see that from the photographs.

Can someone please explain why they look different if they are supposed to be the same pellet.

Although I am going to order some and see how I get on
    Last edited by Chewie; 16-06-2004 at 05:29 PM.
    Carl .. AA S410K Nikko Sniper 10x42, AA TX200SR Simmons ProAir 4-12x40, Venom 97K Nikko Sniper 10x42.

Snapshot. Guest
    Rich, that was my guess too but it might be an issue if you do know the true weight. I believe there was a case in point at Mill Ride where the chrono operator was reasonably enough using the manufacturer's (seller in this case) stated weight but the gun owner had used the true weight. It happened that the gun was over even using the true weight but it's something that could be a problem. Of course everyone could just stop using Lazadomes.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Chewie
    I know TER has said it before and I agree with him, they are not the same, you can see that from the photographs.

Can someone please explain why they look different if they are supposed to be the same pellet.

errrrrrr, fromn the initial thread:-

Q.I have always been under the impression that in 0.177 the AA's were a different design but the Daystates were exactly the same as the Exacts, is this correct?

A.Yes, this is correct. The different design can be recognized very easily as the AA's type doesn't have a little neck between the skirt and the head as the rest of the pellets. The "Daystate/JSB Exact" type is produced on two pressing lines but it is not distinguished (which one will be Daystate, or JSB Exact, or Lazadome, or Webley and Scott....). It is just marked on the label placed on the bottom.

Q.In 0.22 I assume that both the AA and Daystate are exactly the same as the Exact, is this correct?

A.No, there is the same difference as in the cal 0.177 pellets.
    I'm telling you it moved!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    LOL - indeed:

Daystate & JSB = same
    AA = different (but similar)

Clearer ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

FT Shooter Guest
    Originally posted by Chewie

Who said they are the same? Josef Schulz states that they are not....read his answer to the question. I think the manufacturer of some of Europe's finest match pellets probably does know what he's talking about!

Sorry lads, brain fade
    Carl .. AA S410K Nikko Sniper 10x42, AA TX200SR Simmons ProAir 4-12x40, Venom 97K Nikko Sniper 10x42.

jimyamaha Guest
    Yep, confirms my findings exactly. By the way the best place I've found to buy them is www.airammo.co.uk, great prices and brilliant service too.

Shaggy Guest
    I recon is most cast their minds back 2years you will recall there was once a difference between the Daystate pellet & the AAfield/Exacts & others

back then it was common knowledge about the differences, now fair play to JSB they want their pellets to be the best so they use the same pellet choice now as Daystate the newer pellet. which it's fair to say has performed remarkable well in .177, everyone wants to get better don't they!

I like the Daystate & now Exacts 177 pellets. But sadly when it comes to it's bigger brother in .22, Air Arms seem to out perform the Daystate type in nearly all the rifles I have used in .22 & from those I have asked who shoot .22 they all say the same thing.

Don't know why there's a difference between the effective ness of the calibars but there is, no one can ever have it all their way, well except if your JSB that is

ATB

Darren