Thread: Advice needed

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Advice needed

Can anyone point me in the direction of a capper that will work with No. 10 caps please?

I can find them for the 11s but that's all. The 10s end up sideways and jammed.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Oer the years, I've never found any type of capper to work well, with any size of cap, and I've tried a few!

Still can't beat the fingers! Once I've got the cap on, I ten index each chamber and lower the hammer gently on the cap. Then pressing on the hammer to seat the cap fully. Never had one fail since.

Remember though..... got to be carefull!!

That sounds like a very dangerous system to me!

Quote Originally Posted by martindl99 View Post
    That sounds like a very dangerous system to me!
    No, not at all. The only problem that could arise if the hammer was to slip when lowering and as it's only done on the line facing down range.....

I disagree with you 100%. It will be interesting what other shooters think. Not a safe practice.

'Once I've got the cap on, I ten index each chamber and lower the hammer gently on the cap. Then pressing on the hammer to seat the cap fully. Never had one fail since.'

'It will be interesting what other shooters think'.

I can't find a smilie to really fit - EEEEEEAAaaak.

I find Remington number 11's fit fine on my .36 Colt 61 and my .44 Remington NMA push on GENTLY with a wooden dowl to make sure...

CCI caps - NOT impressed, I did try their Magnum version though and they fitted fine.

Quote Originally Posted by martindl99 View Post
    I disagree with you 100%. It will be interesting what other shooters think. Not a safe practice.
    That's obviously your opinion. But perhaps based on your own confidence in your own gun handling, or others' confindence in you.

I'm in a club of over 40 regular members. All of us ex-cartridge pistol shooters, some of whom shot to a very high International standard. I'd reckon to a man, we all follow this practice. In the 11 years of B/P pistol shooting, not one incident. All we get is reliable ignition.

Likewise, when shooting traditional duelist CAS in Florida, again, this was an accepted practice.

Of course, you should carry on in the same vein that you are comfortable and confident, but that does not mean you have to denegrade another for he does not fit into your idea of "what is safe"......

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    CCI caps - NOT impressed, I did try their Magnum version though and they fitted fine.
    I found a considerable difference in CCI standard and magnum. I definitely prefer the magnum for .44.

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    I find Remington number 11's fit fine on my .36 Colt 61 and my .44 Remington NMA push on GENTLY with a wooden dowl to make sure...
    And the difference to using a dowel gently and the hammer?

Sorry, to the question asked. No I looked at different cappers - snail type and the in - line. The snail I think I exchanged for something else (rubbish not fit for pupose) and the in-line fell apart - Peddersoli as well.

If you find a satisfactory one I'd be interested.

Simon on reflection - I suppose if pushing the cap on with a dowel and the cap ignited the charge the dowel could splinter - mmmmhhh - If your confident with that method - great.. I'm still thinking about your method.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Trouble is

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Oer the years, I've never found any type of capper to work well, with any size of cap, and I've tried a few!

Still can't beat the fingers!
    At the range on the last two occasions my fingers were that cold that I couldnt get the caps on the nipples.

Could try crimping them on with my teeth I s'pose
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    At the range on the last two occasions my fingers were that cold that I couldnt get the caps on the nipples.
    Ah the joys of winter B/P!

You can't beat one of those solid fuel pocket warmers you get from camping shops.....

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post

Could try crimping them on with my teeth I s'pose
    I always have trouble with my nipples in the cold

Roy

Hi
    Have you thought about getting them converted to take shotgun primers?

Iam quite partial to the effect the cold can have on some nipples.

Peter

Have a look at Ted Cash cappers I have 2 1 snail and the oval type works great with all primers. http://www.tdcmfg.com/