Thread: new HW97K owner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gibbon Guest

new HW97K owner

Hi all, this is my 1st post Well ! I've got the airgun bug back after 20 years & I've certainly learnt a lot about air rifles in the last few weeks !!! These pre-loaded jobbies look fun, but they're way over my budget.

I used to shoot in the Yaakshire Dales when I was a teenager, mainly plinking and the odd rabbit, crow (never had a magpîe, sneaky b's). My mate had a Weirauch and I've always thought they were great airguns, well-built & accurate etc etc etc. Anyway... after spending hours reading through some of the great posts on this forum (cheers guys), and even more hours/days/weeks surfin the web & looking at manufacturers sites, I finally ordered an luvverly jubbly left-handed HW97K from my local gunshop... delivery promised for the end of July. Ordered 1-piece scope mounts, couple o tins o pellets and some other bits n bobs from BAR who export to France (cheers Lloyd). Oh yeah, Venom stage 1 kit looks interesting ... might treat mesen at christmas

Oooooo I can't wait !!! I'm looking forward to having a play with my new toy. I'll let you know how it shoots when I get me paws on it.

Bye for now

kirky Guest
    Welcome to the board Gibbon,
    Excellent gun you got yourself there hope you enjoy your renewed enthusiasm in airgunning.
    Dave.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Welcome mate.Good choice of rifle the HW97K and very highly rated.

Hi, where are you in France
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

michaeladkins Guest
    welcome

Mark A Guest
    Welcome to the board, youll be pleased with your purchase, there exellent air rifles and very accurate.

Mark

baxterbasics Guest

nice one Gibbon,

97 will definately benefit from a venom stage 1 tune, lucky for me that i bought a mint 2nd hand one already done

Happy hunting mate,give them french rabbits hell,

Bax

Gibbon Guest
    Still no toy yet.... but I received my scope this morning from the nice UPS man - seben 4-12x56 - impulse purchase on (58 quid) bit blathered when I clicked on "bid now"(too much Red) - ermmm, it's a bit bl00dy big & numb ! wondering if its going to fit on the rifle ?

So ... I sets it up on a cushion about 10 mins ago, pointing it out of my back window which looks over the garden and surrounding woodland/river valley etc. There's just been very heavy rain and the sky is fairly dark & cloudy but it's stopped raining for about 5 mins when Mr Woody flies in, and lands on this tree 90 metres away. I zooms in on the blighter and whipped the digicam out of its bag... couple of missed "shots" cos it's on auto mode, quick exposure adjustments and ...

The slight blemishing above the pigeon's head and the numbers, bottom left, are reflections from the lens of the digicam... probably cos I wasn't perfectly aligned with the scope. The reticle is ON at its highest setting (11), will try some twilight shots tonight... can do better methinks.

The pigeon flew off with his mate after about 3 minutes, but he'll be back.

The camera ? It's a Nikon CoolPix 5000 ... marvellous bit 'o kit ;o)

Got anymore info on the scope? I was looking at these scopes on and was interested in them. Still undesided as to bid for one.
    Career Caption Warning - Airforce Officer near-by

welcome to the bbs, 97k is a great gun one of my faves

Congrats, you made a very good choice, he said, utterly objectively. If I had to lose one of my two guns, it wouldn't be the Weihrauch! Obviously, a 'scope with a 56mm lens is going to need high (double screw) mounts with an arrestor pin and you may need to shim the rear mount, if you run out of elevation adjustment. Apart from that, it should 'zero.' For a novice, I'd stay away from those 90 metre shots until you've had a bit of practise, eh. Regards ... Geeko
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Gibbon Guest
    Hi Gungeek - No worries, the only thing I'd shoot a pigeon with at 90m is a camera

I'm starting to get sub-30mm groups at 45m ...27 shots (9x3) at this target earlier this morning all went in using JSB Exact 4.52

first time I've managed this - always had one or two flyers before !

edit : I'm happy enough with the scope, it seems quite bright (but I've nothing to compare it to). Over 3000 rounds and it hasn't complained once - I have to re-zero occasionally when the stock screws come loose (especially the rear trigger guard screw which needs tightening every 50 shots or so)

BUT ... These scope are fixed parallax at around 100yds and according to the importer (seben) the front ring is held on with loctite - difficult to re-set
    Last edited by Gibbon; 05-01-2005 at 12:10 PM.