Thread: tuning

Post tuning

I am looking to tune my gun to do some fifty-seventy yard target shooting. Do you have any idea where i can get parts eg:weights springs to increase its power. It is a bsa meteor. I think it is a bsa meteor mk1 as it does not say mk 2 or anything on it.
    Last edited by 05rw; 04-02-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling

what is the serial number?
    A.V Marochinni O/U 12 Gauge
    Baikal S/B 12 Gauge
    Air Arms S200 MK2 .177

Just found the no te60210 on the underside just after where the stock finishes. I think this is the serial no.

Quote Originally Posted by 05rw View Post
    Just found the no te60210 on the underside just after where the stock finishes. I think this is the serial no.
    That'll be a .22" Meteor MK3 then made between 1969 and 1973.

To be Honest shooting at 57 yards with a .22 Meteor would be a challenge to say the least.

Tuning a Meteor to 12ftlb's involves machining a new piston head with less lost volume, increasing the stroke a little and fitting a better spring (Titan XS works).
    You would also need to tighten the barrel mounting to breach to stop any latteral movement.
    You would also be restricted on what pellets to could use, as the Meteor barrel is 5.6mm not 5.5mm as most .22" pellets are now.

Starting with a better gun would be the best bet and could be cheaper in the long run.

Hope this helps a bit

All the best Mick

Smile funds

I do nott really have enough money to spend on a new gun as i am only 15 but may get a few of those bits. Any idea of price and where can i get them from. Thanks for all the info

with any bsa older than 1980 (like my 1979 MK5) i dont theink that the receiver will take 12ftlbs

you might as well throw the pellet at the target!!
    A.V Marochinni O/U 12 Gauge
    Baikal S/B 12 Gauge
    Air Arms S200 MK2 .177

Smile

Anything i can do as i really cant afford a new gun. Can i buy new better parts for it

Quote Originally Posted by jacobasmith View Post
    with any bsa older than 1980 (like my 1979 MK5) i dont theink that the receiver will take 12ftlbs
    They will

John Bowkett did a conversion for Meteors to take them up to 12ftlbs.

I have them running at 12 and contrary to what some people think they are quite happy at that power level.

All the best Mick

My first brand new rifle was a Mk1 .22 Meteor and I learned to hunt using it. I still take it out when going for a walk round the fields occasionally and still take the odd rabbit with it. Mine is doing just under 11fpe with standard components and is still accurate. Milbro Selects work well.

The Meteor is not really designed for long-range target work as it doesn't have a great trigger and is too light to be stable enough at long range. It was designed to be a plinker and short/medium range hunting gun. It is very good for this...

bsa meteor

high i have just renewed all the working parts inside my meteor mark 3 which i think is the same as yours , i put an ox spring in it and found that it was hard to pull the trigger, i contacted a shop called john knibbs TEL 01675481006 he deals in all the old and new bsa spares he advised me that the gun was not able to take the extra power put out by the ox spring without a lot of extra mods done, (it would blow it self to bit eventually) so i went with his advise and put a new standard spring back in it, which i have done today, and it has made all the difference to the trigger and the gun,
    but as a long range target gun i have had meteors for 30 odd years and they aint long range target guns, up to about 35 yards yes ok, but over that forget it, but to renew all the parts inside your meteor which is a mark 3 by the way will cost you about £50 plus, depending on how far you want to go with it, so for long range you will have to find another gun for that, hope this helps
    muzzy

Quote Originally Posted by jacobasmith View Post

you might as well throw the pellet at the target!!
    I also agree.pluss the trigger will be very heavy.177 would be a struggle but 22 even harder.Don't waste your money IMO.Save and get a cheap used gun that is known to be capable of what you want tuned.Then spend the money.Or sell your rifle and save a little?

Quote Originally Posted by noluv6 View Post
    I also agree.pluss the trigger will be very heavy.177 would be a struggle but 22 even harder.Don't waste your money IMO.Save and get a cheap used gun that is known to be capable of what you want tuned.Then spend the money.Or sell your rifle and save a little?
    The trigger unit on the Meteor is the same as fitted to the early BSA Supersport.

The Supersport is capable of producing 16ftlbs when fitted with an export spring.

So the Meteor trigger assembly has a proven track record of being capable of working safely with a slightly stronger spring.

In most cases the spring in a .177" gun needs to be stronger than the spring in an equivilant .22" gun.

The Titan XS springs I use to obtain 12ftlb's from Meteors is marketed by Mr John Knibbs as a direct replacement for the original factory spring.

I have to agree that too strong a spring in a Meteor does tend to destroy the brazing on the cylinder and crack around the breach block (been there done that).

The more I think about it the more I like 05rw's idea of shooting at 57 yards with an old .22" Meteor.
    I may even have a go myself.

All the Best Mick