Thread: Customised revolvers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Customised revolvers

Hi
    Ive got a 1860 army on hold for me at a gunshop until my ticket comes back with the necessary variation.
    I already have a 8" barrel and a 51/2" barrel version of this revolver, i like open top colts, of which the 8" was bought already nitro/shotgun primer converted, the smaller one was originally an 8" bp version until I chopped the barrel and shotgun primer converted it myself.
    Now Ive been looking at what to do with the new gun when I get it, I need another 51/2" version so that I will have a matching pair for western shooting, but when searching the web found a couple of snubnose versions either factory made by Pietta particularly in France or homemade versions with various different barrel lengths and butt configuration which I really like the look of.
    So this got me thinking of not only converting one down to snubbie size, but if iam the only one who likes to do his own gunsmithing or if anyone else has customised any of their revolvers.
    cheers
    Peter

Hi Peter

Any pics to share with us?
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

Hi
    Ive got pics but will have to link to my webshots albums for two reasons, one dont know how to upload direct to sit and two the pics would be too big and iam not sure how to reduce the size.

The first link is pics of my 1860,s

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569933792WKOoZk

and this one is some pics of 1860 snubbies ive found

http://community.webshots.com/album/569936866ZQvbCL

hopefully you should be able to see the pics

Peter

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Beautiful pistols, Peter! Those snubbies with the birdshead grips remind me of the British Bulldog cartridge revolvers.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Peter, how about doing us a bit of a write up on how you shortened the barrel. Im still hoping to get a short barreled Ruger old army, i have the slot on my ticket but havent got the readies yet. Looking at prices it would be cheaper to get a second hand 71/2 " one and shorten it but that would be a one way step and if it didnt shoot could be an expensive mistake to make.
    Tim

Nice

Nice job sir !
    Could you do some close ups of the nitro conversion you did yourself and perhaps a brief explanation of what you used.
    There are probably more of us than you think