Thread: Hunting in strong wind...

dcy Guest

Hunting in strong wind...

I have been out for a few hours today with my good mate Paul. He has a rapid Mk1 and i had the hw100....for the past 4 days i have been out and bagged enough in an hour or so, before going home. Today, however, was real windy , but my mate had come over to bag a few quarry. Sod's law that we struggled to see anything. I put this down to the strong winds that were lashing the branches. In previous trips i had seen many squirrels, but the only one we saw in the 3 hours we were out was one i flushed from a drey, which , incidently, escaped scot free.....I managed a vertical shot on a magpie and luckily the diablo flew true, drilling the corvids chest and dropping it into a patch of brambles.....****** wind.......has anyone else had the same experinces similar?...

Re: Hunting in strong wind...

I managed a vertical shot on a magpie and luckily the diablo flew true, drilling the corvids chest and dropping it into a patch of brambles.....****** wind.......has anyone else had the same experinces similar?... [/B]
    Mr Wadeson, I presume?

PNEumatic Guest
    Hi, funny enough, I had a very similar experience tonight, the wind was effecting my vision with all the brances moving.... It was trance like. I did manage to shoot a woody however.

I used to shoot vermin and never realised how much the wind affected the pellet until I took up FT. When you are trying to knock over a 40mm kill zone 50 yard plus target in even a 10 mph cross wind it makes you realise how risky some of these hunting shots are in such weather.

Not only is the pellet being deflected but you're also being buffeted and blown about. With what FT has taught me - after 40 years with an airgun - I don't hunt in such conditions any more.

Perhaps I'm just too old

Rich

dcy Guest
    Yes, i know what you mean....a couple of instances spring to mind....we were once sillouetting magpies in high winds. Due to the prevailing conditions the shots were pretty close, but the maggies were moving like a pendulum as the wind rocked the spindley birches they were roosting in. We had to gauge where the furthest travel was and take our shots when the maggie reached that , momentarily, stationary point.....it was very unusual.....i had never really taken into account the wind speed until i got a chance to bag a ptarmigan. High up on the mountain tops i had finally. after much stalking, set myself up for a twenty yarder on these high altitude grouse. the wind was buffeting from right to left and , im glad i took the wind into account for i aimed to the right of my target zone and walloped a superdome home to good effect......does wind alter the trajectory of the pellet?

Ratpak Guest
    Yes wind does alter the trajectory of the pellet and the POI.

If the wind is blowing from behind you depending on the force it will lift the pellet, likewise a crosswind of about 10 mph will alter the point of impact about 3/4" at 25 yards. Using a mildot reticle takes the guess work out.

There is a program for download called chairgun, it has a visualization tab, use this for wind effects etc, do a search on the bbs for the link.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards

RochdaleLad Guest
    Why does this guy's posts read like an AGW article?

And.. who hunts Ptarmigans with an airgun anyway?

PNEumatic Guest
    Originally posted by RochdaleLad
    Why does this guy's posts read like an AGW article?

Maybe he is Terry in disguise

Lee G Guest
    Lee H shoots with bad wind.
    Think in his case its the curies to blame

dcy Guest
    Originally posted by RochdaleLad

And.. who hunts Ptarmigans with an airgun anyway?
    I do!..

draftsmann Guest
    Best thing on windy days is leave the air rifle at home and give the shotgun an airing.

Adrian

RochdaleLad Guest
    Originally posted by dcy
    I do!..
    Call me ignorant, but is that actually legal? And is it sane?

dcy Guest
    Yes it is legal, on permission and in season....its a buzz to hunt different quarry....you are only here once...so make the most of it....what i hunt is my business.......dont knock it til you've tried it mate....,...all the best anyway...

I actually find that strong wind works to my advantage. ( For a start it sends my Mrs to bed and I can watch what I want on the T.V. ). On a serious note, I find that as long as the wind is blowing in my direction I can close in more easily on rabbits without them realising I am there. If I then work out how the wind is affecting my trajectory the odds are in my favour of a hit.
    I am talking about prone shots here.

Stan.