Thread: Pinfires vs. British Bulldogs!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Pinfires vs. British Bulldogs!

If you were going to collect either pinfire revolvers, or BP British Bulldog cartridge revolvers (I'm assuming all examples being qualified as exempt antiques at law): which would you collect, and why?

Obviously, pepole collect what interests them: but what I'm getting at is more objective factors, such as variety, availability, price, likelihood of price appreciation over the next 20 years, historical associations, etc.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Being able to shoot them would be a big plus..... see below for pinfire re-loading kit.

http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/prices.htm

GREAT site! Thanks, Mark!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim
    Ive got 10 or so bulldogs in .44 and .320 of various types mostly Belgian made at a guess. I collect them because I can and you dont need a license, just wish i could shoot them as it would be simple enough to make the ammo.
    I really do hate our gun laws.
    Besides it was the gun that won the west.
    If you have an interest in bulldogs then I can recommend a book by George Layman titled The British Bulldog Revolver , The forgotten gun that really won the west.
    There are so many types and styles it would be impossible to stop collecting if you get the bug.

I've purchased both a pinfire revolver and a British Bulldog. I ordered them both from (US) Gunbroker and they're being mailed to me. (These are lawful transactions in the US: cartridge guns made before 1899, along with air guns and blackpowder guns, are not considered "firearms" at federal law and can be mail-order sold and shipped between private individuals).

I'm going to decide which type I like the best, after I look them over, and then collect ONE type. Only one. That's the way I must make my mind operate: if I allow myself to collect both...well, next thing I'll also be collecting .22 single shot rifles, and derringers, and old shotguns, and....

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 21-02-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by somtec View Post
    Hi Jim
    Ive got 10 or so bulldogs in .44 and .320 of various types mostly Belgian made at a guess. I collect them because I can and you dont need a license, just wish i could shoot them as it would be simple enough to make the ammo.
    I really do hate our gun laws.
    Besides it was the gun that won the west.
    If you have an interest in bulldogs then I can recommend a book by George Layman titled The British Bulldog Revolver , The forgotten gun that really won the west.
    There are so many types and styles it would be impossible to stop collecting if you get the bug.
    I'm reading that book right now, and it's great! I think the author fudged a bit on the title, though, because it doesn't relate much about their real usage in the Old West, other than to say most ordinary folks liked them for their concealibility and low cost.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 21-02-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Jim
    I believe Iam right in saying Big Nose Kate, Doc Holidays missus carried a Bulldog.
    On the subject of collecting it can become addictive, once youve got one you just have to buy another, then two becomes three and so on.
    Then one day you'll look at that single offering be it pinfire or bulldog and it'll look lonely all on its own so you'll just have to buy one to keep it company ,then off you go again because two isnt really a collection but your a collector and theres nothing you can do about it.
    Good luck in fighting your soon to be addiction.
    Peter

Jim
    I believe Iam right in saying Big Nose Kate, Doc Holidays missus carried a Bulldog.
    On the subject of collecting it can become addictive, once youve got one you just have to buy another, then two becomes three and so on.
    Then one day you'll look at that single offering be it pinfire or bulldog and it'll look lonely all on its own so you'll just have to buy one to keep it company ,then off you go again because two isnt really a collection but your a collector and theres nothing you can do about it.
    Peter

Cheers!

Jim

Jim
    Peter

Yer right, Peter! Both of them arrived today. I expected to open the packages and find that one of them really "spoke to me" more so than the other: but they both did!

There's of course more variety of types with the pinfires, and they're more exotic...then again, the bulldogs are fascinating, and are closer forerunners of modern cartridge pistols...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Yer right, Peter! Both of them arrived today. I expected to open the packages and find that one of them really "spoke to me" more so than the other: but they both did!

There's of course more variety of types with the pinfires, and they're more exotic...then again, the bulldogs are fascinating, and are closer forerunners of modern cartridge pistols...

Jim
    facinating.....how much are we talking here to purchase and where can i buy them from etc

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    facinating.....how much are we talking here to purchase and where can i buy them from etc
    Loiner, I'm in the US, and bought them via Internet auction from Gunbroker.com. Both pistols are exempt from regulation under both US and UK law, as antiques. (Here, anything made before 1899 is exempt - with rare exceptions, such are fully automatic weapons and short-barrelled rifles and shotguns).

I'm not sure how your law reads in this respect, but I do know from UK collectors that they are exempt under your law as well.

Pinfires and British Bulldogs have both been ignored stepchildren of the gun collecting fraternity, so they are still available at good prices. I paid only $149 for the pinfire, and $175 for the Bulldog.

Cheers, and I hope the collecting bug bites you, too!

Jim