Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting Magpies in your garden???

I had the same problem with magpies and the neighbour complained, I was using a 'springer' then.
    Now I use an AA 410 with moderator, she hasn't got a clue and I am doing quite well six so far.

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DEL67 View Post
    Haven't seen your name pop up in a while!
    Are you still keeping those squirrels in check.
    I've hammered the squirrels myself and have two retired fellas with shotguns shooting there too, although they prefer to shoot the pigeons. I'm overrun with rabbits but the warrens are so deep that ferreting isn't very effective - the rabbits run around underground and the ferrets get bored and come up with their claws full of fur. To make things more difficult I have warrens with foxholes in the middle - the ferreters won't send them down because they don't know which holes lead to rabbits and which to foxes.

To cap it all I'm told there are now deer there too.

All in all I'm having a torrid time with pest control at the moment and I'm supposed to be felling four acres this March.

On the bright side, the FEO has been up there and cleared it for 0.17, 0.22 and Hornet so at least I'll be able to zap the buggers from 100yds ( except the deer but I've got a man with open FAC to sort them ).

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    I've hammered the squirrels myself and have two retired fellas with shotguns shooting there too, although they prefer to shoot the pigeons. I'm overrun with rabbits but the warrens are so deep that ferreting isn't very effective - the rabbits run around underground and the ferrets get bored and come up with their claws full of fur. To make things more difficult I have warrens with foxholes in the middle - the ferreters won't send them down because they don't know which holes lead to rabbits and which to foxes.

All in all I'm having a torrid time with pest control at the moment and I'm supposed to be felling four acres this March.

On the bright side, the FEO has been up there and cleared it for 0.17, 0.22 and Hornet so at least I'll be able to zap the buggers from 100yds ( except the deer but I've got a man with open FAC to sort them ).
    Sounds like you've got your hands full to say the least. Just out of curiosity where abouts in North Kent are you. I know there are deer around the Canterbury area but not sure else where.

Derek.

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DEL67 View Post
    Sounds like you've got your hands full to say the least. Just out of curiosity where abouts in North Kent are you. I know there are deer around the Canterbury area but not sure else where.

Derek.
    You have PM

I wonder if anyone has shot a pigeon in their garden and said he was hungry!

Seriously I suppose we cannot just say we kill for food nowadays then! but a farmer can! The laws are becoming a contradiction in many areas as the PC brigade push further and further.

Enjoy your sport where you can and dont give way to the persecution of minorities!

Dean.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by aandu View Post
    As a final note make sure the magpie doesn't drop dead on thier garden tea table (esp. when they are having tea).
    Shades of Gerald Durrells brother Leslie shooting sparrows to feed his brothers menagerie on Corfu. There bloody corpses were raining down on his mother and a woman visiting her!
    Steve
    Floccinaucinihilipilificator.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmi View Post
    this is not true you must try other means possible of scaring the bird away first
    Wrong.

Not in the case of corvids or feral pigeons.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima..._tcm6-7672.pdf
    Last edited by mikemorton; 07-02-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Born To Be Mild.

Come on!

I dont want to sound flippant here or at all irrisponsible....BUT!!
    From my own point of view if a Magpie lands in my tree (30-40m range) then its history! Just because I dont like them and I know that they attack other nice birds nests. Simple really!
    The chances of someone reporting me or even noticing, well less than slim. The chances of the farmer behind my property finding spent pellets, even slimmer. I really think that if you know you are safe, there iare no people or property in your line of sight or surrounding vicinity and you know that if your neighbours saw you they wouldn`t cause any drama then surely is there any point in worrying about the fact that you couldn`t prove that the magpies were offending??
    I am generally the sort of person who abides by the law but some details are just ridiculous!
    M

Quote Originally Posted by fullbandit View Post
    I'd say have a chat with your neighbours first cos if it upsets them they'll moan to every body (RSPCA ,cops ) whether your in the right or not and make you life hell!!!
    Thats the absolute key to the whole argument here. Legal or not, if you p*ss your neighbours off they will report you and that my friend opens up a whole new world of pain.
    Ask your neighbours straight out "can I shoot the magpies?" If they have any negative reaction - forget it. Don't even poke your gun out of the window.
    No longer the owner of Airwolf 337

Question Small Larsen Trap?

Could you try a live-catch Larsen Trap? Either buy one or build one?

I used one in my back garden several years back and over the course of a week took 12 (approx) Magpies.

The Larsen was placed out of site and the birds were also dispatched well out of site.

IMO far more effective and safer than using an air-rifle in residential areas.

HTH

Ben
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    I'm overrun with rabbits but the warrens are so deep that ferreting isn't very effective - the rabbits run around underground and the ferrets get bored and come up with their claws full of fur. To make things more difficult I have warrens with foxholes in the middle - the ferreters won't send them down because they don't know which holes lead to rabbits and which to foxes.
    Doesn't sound like a problem to me...Sounds more like hunter's heaven...