Thread: BP part deux

BP part deux

My second showing at the Club with a BP pistol, a .44 Rogers & Spencer. This was to be signed-off on that particular segment of my Probationary Course.
    I was scoffed at in the Club room when I rashly said I was going to put all six in the bull at 25 yards, pure bravado!
    In the end, I put two outside the target but on the paper, one went astray altogether,(still down range I hasten to add!) Two in the black & one.......in the bull! More luck than good judgment but I'm claiming victory!
    When I hopefully become a full member & successfully apply for my FAC, BP is what I want to shoot!
    TX200/Nikko Stirling MKII 10-50
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Congratulations, Baltipal, and I think you're making a wise choice!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Cheers mate, I think so.
    A long way to go before I make a choice of purchase but I'm still leaning towards a Colt, lack of top strap noted. Would something big like a Walker be a sensible buy? (My previous post about my first outing, expressed my surprise at the small size of the Navy .36 I'd shot then.)
    TX200/Nikko Stirling MKII 10-50
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I don't shoot BP pistol - yet - but want to. But it seems that the Remington 1858 or the Rogers and Spencer are the top choices.

The Walker is a very heavy pistol! Its weight would really be a problem if your had to shoot it one-handed, as some matches require!

But I'll bow out here and let some more experienced BP pistoleers offer their thoughts.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

hi, i certainly dont think of myself as an experienced pistoleer jim.but heres my twopennysworth... if thats your second outing with a blackpowder revolver,i would say you are doing well .;its literally a black art,one time they all go in a neat group the next session they are all over the place like a shotgun with buckshot..but great fun, i love the walker its a great beast of a gun.but like jim says its heavy[4 3/4pounds?] but i think that the colt army is nice ,the sights may leave a little to be desired but many of the closed frame revolvers have to be aimed off to be on target.if you are of an idle dispostion like myself,buy something in stainless,cleaning means taking the grips off and putting it in the dishwasher and lubing it afterwards ..have fun.. greasemonkey