Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SInglepoint sight--how much?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

SInglepoint sight--how much?

How much do these go for now and are they any good. I seem to remember they looked like a sci fi space ship and had a light green bulb nose. I think they did a few types. Any info?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Here's what I know about the single point sight...

They were at least 2 types of red dot (day & night type) and at least 1 type of light green dot.
    Some had rounded ends & some were squared off (I think the squared off type are night versions)
    They are known as OEG's - OEG stands for Occluded Eye Gunsight. That means that one eye is blocked from viewing the target. You must have binocular vision for an OEG to work (some people don't). Basically one eye sees the red dot in the sight and the other eye sees the target. Binocular vision lets you see both at once, superimposing the image of the red dot on the target.

They have an interesting history being used in the Son Tay raid to rescue american POW's held in North Vietnam..."In 1970 whilst training for the raid, Col. Arthur "Bull" Simmons was unhappy that even his best shooters were getting only about 25% of the rounds fired at 50 metres into torso-sized targets. This was'nt too clever when the expectation was to bring down the opponents with single well-aimed shots to avoid hitting the POW's. the story goes that one night Simons and his armorer were trying to solve the problem when they came across an ad for the Single Point OEG in Guns and Ammo. They ordered the nite versions and the results were amazing - even the poorest shooter could put all his rounds inside a 12" circle at 25m. with both eyes open, men could shift their fire from one target to another just as rapidly as daytime and with the same accuracy - the supply guys then went an bought enough to equip every raider with the sights"
    http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/...669/Slide8.jpg

Here is a pic from the JFK Special Warfare Center Museum of an original Singlepoint in the mount:

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/Son_Tay_raiderequip.jpg

Values seem to be about £50 for a nice example with no crimping, intact dust covers and no cracks or milkiness in the front end.
    (I believe they are quite sought after in the US with vietnam collectors to put on thier M16's)

If anyone has any orginal advertising info. - I'd love to see it.......
    Last edited by harvey_s; 11-02-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: schpelling...

interesting,ihave one of these somewhere the red point one i think with the flat nose ..if i remember correctly the covers are missing from the turrets but i think its in good order otherwise. thanks harvey s for the info on it..cheers greasemonkey

sniper22 Guest
    ive got two armson oeg's here in a box somewhere. ones a 1" scope mountable version and the other clamps to dovetails. make me an offer if your interested.
    i use mine in quick up and shoot trips where woodies land then scoot.

Were they British made?

I know that some Star Wars fans into prop replica guns like them, if you look closely various guns used in the Star Wars films had them fitted.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Sold one in vgc for £15 plus post of choice this time last year . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Were they British made?
    Certainly one I've got was made in GB although I'm not sure whether this was under license and I don't know who invented it or indeed what happened to the company that made it....

Red dot sight

Hi, I picked this up a couple of years ago ( car boot )
    Its very well made, All aluminium, Japanese with variable intensity, & no magnification, It has a slightly green tinge to the glass,

Anyone know anything about it, he said it was early 80,s I remember it was £3 Ha ha, I love them car boots, cheers,http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m63/gedfinn/Picture032.jpg

Red dot sight

singlepoint red dot sights

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hi, I picked this up a couple of years ago ( car boot )
    Its very well made, All aluminium, Japanese with variable intensity, & no magnification, It has a slightly green tinge to the glass,

Anyone know anything about it, he said it was early 80,s I remember it was £3 Ha ha, I love them car boots, cheers,http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m63/gedfinn/Picture032.jpg
    Hi, you can still get aimpoint red dot sights on #### at resonable prices as well as the more modern laser red dot sights.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    So what would I expect to pay for one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Sold one in vgc for £15 plus post of choice this time last year.
    ... Can't see any reason to amend this from post six ... .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

You'll be lucky...

Sold one in vgc for £15 plus post of choice this time last year . Atb: G.
    from aonther thread.....same comment from Gareth W-B and a reply from Hsing-ee :

"Erm, that was a BSA Reflex sight, not a Singlepoint. The Reflex is tougher but cruder, some Sussex Armoury fanatics will pay alot more for a real Singlepoint"

The BSA reflex sights were rubbish even when new and generally not in the same league especially as a collector's item....

Completely independant from me -there is one for sale here...He describes it as a sight point, but its a boxed single point and appears in nice condition for £40 posted......

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ht=singlepoint

The green ones appear to be lot rarer than the red ones, but if someone wants one I have boxed one for £40 plus post
    Last edited by harvey_s; 13-02-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: poor composition...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    from aonther thread.....same comment from Gareth W-B and a reply from Hsing-ee :
    Ooh, hark at her ... Yes that did refer to a BSA Reflex (which for the record Hsing-ee bought from me ), but I sold a single point for £15 around a year ago too -- and have also subsequently given one away that I couldn't be bothered to sell as I just wanted rid. Atb: G.

but I sold a single point for £15 around a year ago too -- and have also subsequently given one away that I couldn't be bothered to sell as I just wanted rid. Atb: G.
    In that case I stand corrected (and should you feel so inclined to dispose of any the same way I'd be happy to offer the same....)

Seriously though...if anyone has got any original info...tests, old advertising or suchlike I'd like too see it please.....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 13-02-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added appeal for info..

I've 6 or 7 of them. Used one in the mid/late 70s that had a luminous green dot (at night) - red in the day and green/luminous at night. Had it on a rimfire and enjoyed it - but - it's a fun sight for rapid target acquisition and IIRC, got a few running bunnies with it - at close range ie 15-25 yds.

They are not an 'accurate' sight, need to be rezeroed for a different shooter and are well outdated by the newer aimpoint type sights.
    But they were all I had in the '70s!!!
    Ah, memories - and that's why I have so many! Gutted I sold my first one.