Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air pistol shops / ranges in London?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Air pistol shops / ranges in London?

Can anyone recommend any good air pistols shops and ranges (open to a visitor) in London?

I've heard that International Firearms, Woodford Bridge, has the best selection of pistols, and a great owner, and that there's a pistol range just around the corner.

Also heard recommendations for May's of London, and for Woody's of Wembley.

Any thoughts on these or other places?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Woody's is a decent shop, but I'm not sure I'd make a special trip there if I was over from the states on holidays. The airgun bit is the back half of a fishing tackle shop (quite a big back half mind you)

TBH Jim you're going to find our shops a bit disappointing compared to what you are probably used to

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good air pistols shops and ranges (open to a visitor) in London?

I've heard that International Firearms, Woodford Bridge, has the best selection of pistols, and a great owner, and that there's a pistol range just around the corner.

Also heard recommendations for May's of London, and for Woody's of Wembley.

Any thoughts on these or other places?

Jim

Hi Jim, where are you and Jan staying in London? We can then have a look around for you.

I know your schedule will be pretty full, but if you're staying in North London do try and jump a train to Hatfield, about 25 miles away, and visit Hatfield House. One of the finest Jacobean Houses in England.

http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/Index.asp

The deer park surrounding the house and the older building of the Old Palace had been owned by Elizabeth’s father, Henry VIII, who had used it as a home for his children, Edward, Elizabeth and Mary. It was while she was living in the Old Palace, in 1558, that Elizabeth learned of her accession to the throne.

I'm sure Jan and yourself will be impressed with it, also might stand you in good stead for a day at Bisley

Good luck, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Woody's is a decent shop, but I'm not sure I'd make a special trip there if I was over from the states on holidays. The airgun bit is the back half of a fishing tackle shop (quite a big back half mind you)

TBH Jim you're going to find our shops a bit disappointing compared to what you are probably used to
    Ummm....maybe. I can't say yet. I'm sure not likely to see any cartridge pistols for sale. But strictly for airguns? I'm expecting it will be a lot better than the US. Strictly "Air gun shops" sre scarce as hens teeth in this country. Few regular gun stores handle them, and what you see in sporting goods departments chain stores is mostly low-end Crosman and Daisy products, along with pellets and targets.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Jim, where are you and Jan staying in London? We can then have a look around for you.

I know your schedule will be pretty full, but if you're staying in North London do try and jump a train to Hatfield, about 25 miles away, and visit Hatfield House. One of the finest Jacobean Houses in England.

http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/Index.asp

The deer park surrounding the house and the older building of the Old Palace had been owned by Elizabeth’s father, Henry VIII, who had used it as a home for his children, Edward, Elizabeth and Mary. It was while she was living in the Old Palace, in 1558, that Elizabeth learned of her accession to the throne.

I'm sure Jan and yourself will be impressed with it, also might stand you in good stead for a day at Bisley

Good luck, Phil

Hey, Jan's impressed with anything to do with Elizabeth I, or Shakespeare.

Jim

International Firearms is a dedicated gun shop the owner is very friendly and helpful, but I would say there is a limited choice of pistols, a small glass cabinet on the side of the shop and a few others dotted around is it, if you are in the area definitely pop in but not worth a longer trip.

Quote Originally Posted by vfrkid View Post
    International Firearms is a dedicated gun shop the owner is very friendly and helpful, but I would say there is a limited choice of pistols, a small glass cabinet on the side of the shop and a few others dotted around is it, if you are in the area definitely pop in but not worth a longer trip.

Too bad.... .... does ANY shop in London have a good selection of air pistols?

Jim

Too bad.... .... does ANY shop in London have a good selection of air pistols?

Jim

Maybe it would be worth the visit to the Phoenix meeting at Bisley that weekend. Reasonable trade show. I will try and get a listing of what retailers are there.

atb Phil

Jim

I live in London and used Woodys a couple of times and May of London. Both are small shops with Mays being a gunshop with air arms and extremely friendly and Woodys is a part fish and tackle shop. May's of London is better in my opinion. Don't know about pistol ranges though although the shop has a range but not a massive amount of pistols.

mayoflondon.co.uk

Thanks, all.

I think what I'll do is stop by Guns & Sports in Stratford-upon-Avon the day we're there, and see what he has. It's just paces from Shakespeare's birthplace, where we're going anyway: so this will save us making an extra side trip.

Jim

BigEars Guest
    Thanks, all.

I think what I'll do is stop by Guns & Sports in Stratford-upon-Avon the day we're there, and see what he has. It's just paces from Shakespeare's birthplace, where we're going anyway: so this will save us making an extra side trip.

Jim
    There's a shop in Rayleigh (attractive little town 35 years ago) in Essex that's reachable by commuter train from London. Not sure how wide their range of pistol might be though.

Maybe it would be worth the visit to the Phoenix meeting at Bisley that weekend. Reasonable trade show. I will try and get a listing of what retailers are there.

atb Phil

Thanks, Phil. But with our spending a couple days in Stratford-upon-Avon and a couple in Coventry, we wouldn't be able to squeeze in more time out of London.

We already plan to see...the Sherlock Holmes Museum, the Tower, Tower Bridge, the Tower closing, a few old churches, London Museum, the British Museum, a play at the Globe, the Templar Inns of court, a different pub for lunch and supper each day, a few parks, Madame Tussaud's, bookstores on Charing Cross Road, Churchills' war rooms,... Busy, busy!

Jim

Crikey Jim, yer gonna need a holiday when you get back home, just to recover

Enjoy every minute, Phil

=

Crikey Jim, yer gonna need a holiday when you get back home, just to recover

Enjoy every minute, Phil

=
    Yes, and the sad thing is that we're regarding this one as our more relaxed trip! This time we're setting our own schedule: the other two were organized tours.

Jim

What air pistols are you after, I have a large number of match pistol + lots of co2 ones.

peter