Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .410 Baikal s/b Hushpower

Quote Originally Posted by philifa View Post
    I've had a .410 Hushpower for about 12 months. Its a marvellous tool for vermin, especially near to houses. I have always used Eley 2 1/2 and 3" cartridges because of their fibre wad. I thought I had read somewhere that you should not use cartridges with plastic wads with these guns. Anybody know for definite?
    Phil
    You speak the truth, Hushpower recommend fibre wads only. However, only Eley seem to do a .410 with fibre, and I can only get them mail order from Just Cartridges at £32 carriage charge. I have ordered from them once to get some so-called subsonics, but I was not happy with a delivery driver handing me an unwrapped slab of cartridges at my gate.

The petals do get ripped off long plastic wads such as Express use, but there seems to be no real problem. I've fired 200+ plastic wads through my Hushpower, and I believe others here have fired many more without incident. Some makers use the short petal-less wad that passes through undamaged.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in fibre wads rather than bits of plastic laying around, and I would like to follow Hushpower's advice, but Eley are just not widely available.

Ultimately you make the choice. If you do get an unsafe occurence from using plastic wads then Hushpower have covered their butts, but I don't think it will happen.

Re. plastic wads, York Guns recommend that if you use them with their moderated Stealth shotguns you check before reloading to ensure that the bore is clear. If you do this I can't see it ever being a problem.

HTH

Talking hushpower

love mine seem to get more with this than my 12 plus hardly any recoil,i use the 3 inch in mine and they are great,would recomend this fully moderated 410 to anyone especially when covered in realtree tape like mine.

Richness, do you know which model your baikal is and what length barrel it has?
    I tried a mossberg hushpower recently with 3" eley magnum subs and I thought it was rather loud. Certainly nothing like the quiet pop you here people talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by pigglet View Post
    I tried a mossberg hushpower recently with 3" eley magnum subs and I thought it was rather loud. Certainly nothing like the quiet pop you here people talk about.

That's the problem, the 3" subs just aren't anywhere near as quiet as the 2.5".

Also I don't think the Mossbergs are as quiet as the single shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I couldn’t leave the truck – Planet Rock was playing Deep Purple’s ‘Speed King’, and it’s against the law to switch it off part-way through.
    Lefty Gunz, CupramanRR, URX, Rapidnick, Lex, Jackel, mr ben, foxshooter, SCORCHA

I've found little difference between the cartridges, but certainly not a pop, more like a "crack with a ting" sort of noise.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pigglet View Post
    Richness, do you know which model your baikal is and what length barrel it has?

Well it all depends on your surroundings. It's the same with my 12b one. Go out in the garden and shoot it at night and you think OMG what a racket but then try a standard one and you just can't BELIEVE how loud they are and you realise that the noise of these moddded shotguns is 95% less offensive and therefore you get more chances, and quicker.

I was shooting mine the other day in a big barn and having untold fun stopping running rats, even out to 40y (great tight patterns these things have) and it appears to be a hell of a crack but 2mins later, they're back out again, the same time as my firend shooting a practically silent FAC airgun....

Mine is the new-type Baikal, fully suppessed barrel. Mossberg 3shot would be even better as follow-up shots would be v handy, even if a few percent louder IMO
    Best carts are clearly 2.5" Express 14g but others do the job
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Quote Originally Posted by richness View Post
    Mossberg 3shot would be even better as follow-up shots would be v handy, even if a few percent louder IMO
    Have you heard the two side by side? I'd read the Mossberg was a few Db louder, but Db is a logarithmic scale, so even a few Db make a lot of difference. I'd be genuinely interested to hear from anyone who has heard/shot both.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Went out today with both the 12g mossberg and the 410 Baikal. Did in a lot of daft young rooks and much fun was had. I'm getting better at reloading the baikal quickly. And the pump action -well isn't it amazing how quickly you instinctively pump your pump actions but you don't do it with your autos ?! I got a triple today; i still rank a triple with a pump action as right up there with the very best feelings available
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

here is a unique product
    http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=856400

hastings barrel for beretta mobil choke. its apparently just like hushpower.
    there is a drawback though, it can make your 32" gun barrel 64" long.
    as with all, use subs.

no licence required.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Ive got a Baikal .410 Hushpower and my old man has a Mossberg .410, I prefer the Baikal as I think it is a bit quiter, only problem is the Baikal seems to shoot a bit low, you end up aiming high, rather than pointing it.
    Thanks
    Dave