Thread: Inter club revolver competition

Inter club revolver competition

I'm in the process of trying to get a 'postal style' cap and ball revolver competition running. Something quite simple and just for fun - no fancy prizes.

Levels of interest at my club, where shooting muzzle loaders goes from strength to strength, are good.

If you (your club) would be interested please let me know. There's a copy of the (very) rough outline of what's in mind you can see by clicking HERE. (Adobe .pdf file).

UK or overseas clubs - the more the merrier!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    This is a GREAT idea, John!

I have a BP revolver, but don't have anywhere to shoot it, and don't expect things will change till I move to a rural area and can shoot on my own land.

I'm currently involved with the Umarex Boys Club (see our postings in the Air Pistols section and we're hosting international AP shoots (bullseye, and police style).

I was thinking that some years down the line, I wanted to do just what you're doing now. Glad that you started it first!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thanks Jim & the best of luck in finding somewhere you can enjoy your BP pistol.

I've seen your 'boys club' on the web. Looks good - more power to your elbow!

If you do know of any clubs in the US that may be interested in the comp. we plan please point 'em at this thread.

Sounds good to me. Will ask around at our club on Sunday. Tim

greenshoots Guest
    interested our pistol shooters are looking for comps finalise the rules and i will post on our club notice board........

viv

Quote Originally Posted by John Bedford View Post
    I'm in the process of trying to get a 'postal style' cap and ball revolver competition running. Something quite simple and just for fun - no fancy prizes.

Levels of interest at my club, where shooting muzzle loaders goes from strength to strength, are good.

If you (your club) would be interested please let me know. There's a copy of the (very) rough outline of what's in mind you can see by clicking HERE. (Adobe .pdf file).

John, a couple of thoughts.

If you're trying to attract more US participants: the way BP pistol shooting goes here is that it's more an individual effort, rather than Clubs. BP pistols aren't even requlated as firearms under federal law, or in most states. And since there's no "land clearance" requirement for shooting - either shooting's prohibited by local ordinance wherever you are, or it isn't - lots of guys shoot on their own land: or as individuals, at OUTDOOR clubs that permit BP shooting.

And a lot of outdoor clubs, and I'd say ALL indoor ones, DON't permit BP! They figure that BP shooters are just kooks, whose dirty clouds of smoke shouldn't be allowed to interfere with the "real pistol" shooters. (This is the DOWNside of cartridge pistols being readily available). So, you're not likely to get a lot of CLUB sponsorship or involvement on this side of the Atlantic.

The other point is more for the UK shooters.

I know that some UK shooters own BP revolvers, and even cartridge revolvers, that have been converted to SMOKELESS muzzleloaders. Are you going to allow use of these in your comp?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Blackburn

Drop John Lloyd an email at Blackburn rifle and Pistol Club.
    blackburnrifle@live.co.uk
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Any new info, John?

Jim

Hi John

Only a small club - but you have 4 intererested here !

Roy Harrington
    Enever Rifle & Pistol Club

John, how are things coming along with the comp organization? Are you having shoots yet?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    John, how are things coming along with the comp organization? Are you having shoots yet?

Jim
    Hi Jim.

'fraid not. Had to put this project on the 'back burner' for a while. I run my own business and work (as in surviving the economic mess we currently have) eclipsed all else. There's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel now and I hope, as we move into autumn/winter, I can finally get this project off the ground with a view to a spring 'launch'.

Hi Jim.

'fraid not. Had to put this project on the 'back burner' for a while. I run my own business and work (as in surviving the economic mess we currently have) eclipsed all else. There's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel now and I hope, as we move into autumn/winter, I can finally get this project off the ground with a view to a spring 'launch'.
    A sign of the times, on both sides of the Pond and beyond, John.

Glad to see that prospects are looking better for the spring, though. I only wish I had a place to shoot my Remington: I'd love to take part.

But, maybe it's for the best for me, as I've got my hands full right now with the air gun comps and with far too many other things, at work and off work.

Best of luck,

Jim

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Bprc

John

Contact John Lloyd at Blackburn Rifle and Pistol Club. I'd be interested in shooting (stop sniggering any members reading this).
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch