Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We're coming to London, May 16 - 30!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

We're coming to London, May 16 - 30!

Not strictly an air pistol topic, but here's where I post most often, so here goes! We didn't think we'd be able to afford it: but, after I paid Pad for the next Sniooker comp, I noticed the dollar has improved from last year: so we decided to give it a go!

We were in the UK in 2007 and 2008, but those were with Jan's college. This is going to be entirely on our own. We'll be staying mostly in London, but do want to make side trips to Stratford (there's a gun shop I passed there on the last trip, but they were closed for Sunday), and maybe Canterbury also.

Let me know about air gun shops in London.

I got to meet a couple mates from the list last trip: maybe we can cross paths with some of the UBC Gang this time!

We'll keep you posted!

Jim and Jan
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim.

That's excellent news. Be really good if we can meet up.

I tell you what, keep the 23rd of May free for you & Jan. (PM on its way)

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Hi Jim, that's good news. I'm sure there's always more to do than time allows. But there's always the Phoenix meeting at Bisley, about 30+ miles from central London. Just a thought

It would be real good to meet up with you and Jan, maybe go for a beer.

If you're coming at the end of May it's a Bank Holiday with many attractions on that week-end (even no-shooting ones).

Good luck, Phil

http://www.nra.org.uk/

Fri 22May
    to
    Sun 24 May Phoenix Meeting (National Shooting Centre (NSC), Bisley)
    This multi-discipline meeting has its roots in pistol calibre firearms but there are also plenty of competitions for Black Powder, Air and Fullbore from 15 yards to 1000 yards. This Meeting has over 75 competitions to enter, giving you enough chances to earn yourself one of the much sought after 'Grandmaster Medals'. As well as all this shooting you can visit the Arms Fair held in the Bisley Pavilion.
    Last edited by Phil G; 08-02-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Hi guy's

Would love to meet up with you both.

Would be good to have a UBC get together (even if only for beer and no shooting)

I shall try and get down there

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Good to know you're coming over Jim, it'd be great to meet you and Jan in the flesh.

Fantastic news, can't wait to meet you guy's

they say timing is everything.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Fantastic news, can't wait to meet you guy's

they say timing is everything.
    Yes Jason excellent timing. I have not had chance to do the planning detail, but I've informed Tony & Jim Mc
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    We really do hope we can meet up with the UBC or at least some of the UBC members. We met a couple mates from the list last year and had a great time!

We leave New Orleans on the 15th, and arrive in London on the morning of the 16th. We'll be checking in to our hotel, and otherwise will be pretty well time-lagged, brain-fried, and otherwise shot to hell that day; but do plan to stay up till the evening, to shake off the jet lag and return to normal hours.

We leave London on the 30th, but that gives us - count 'em! - 13 great usable days!

Maybe a UBC get-together? Maybe a trip to Bisley? (Is there a train that runs from London to Bisley?) Unlike the other two trips, we're wide-open this time: our only agenda is the one we make.

Cheers!

Jim and Jan
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Hi J & J

Great to hear that your love of the UK means that you're now funding a trip of your own . Mind you - as you said - the ol' exchange rate has moved seriously in your favour since the 'crash'.

Fab timing with the Phoenix weekend bang in the middle of your trip. You've gotta try to get down to it and it would be a great focal point to meet up with a bunch of us.

Yes, there are trains from London to Bisley - actual station at the Bisley end is Brookwood, which you can get to in about 40 minutes from London Waterloo. Brookwood is about 20 min walk or 5 mins in a taxi .... or (if we knew your arrival time) I'm sure there will be willing BBSers to pick you up.

My own club (Swallows Field Target), based down near the East Sussex county town of Lewes, has a 'home' shoot that Sunday (24th May) so it'd be even better if you just happened to choose the Saturday ..... unless of course the Phoenix Shoot itself decides to reintroduce a Hunter Field Target contest, in which case I shall have to abandon Swallows for the Sunday.

Whatever ... hope you have a fab time and for heaven sake please bring some better weather with you; been positively awful over here for the past couple of months.

atb

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Thumbs up London Plans

Hi Everyone,

Jim and I are trying to firm up our plans for the London trip, particularly our travel plans from London to Coventry for the shoot on the 23rd. Is anyone going from London? If you are, we would be glad to pay for your petrol, along with other financial considerations, for a ride.

We looked into train tickets, and a consecutive pass for four days runs almost $400.00 for the two of us. We want to go to Stratford on Sunday sometime (I am a BIG fan of WS), and could probably get tickets from Coventry to Stratford and then to London, fairly inexpensively. We are still looking into that.

Anyway, if you are going my way, please let me know!

Thanks!
    Jan McArthur

"When a [wo]man is tired of London... [s]he is tired of life!" (Johnson)
    It is the most marvelous city in the world!

Hi Jan, have you got an address where you're staying in London?
    Phil

Holidays in London; still, we had a piece on the news this morning about package tours to Iraq.

Central London is fine, but one would advise missing out the suburbs.
    When you say Stratford, you refer to Stratford upon Avon I assume?, not the area of N.E London.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    We were in the UK in 2007 and 2008, but those were with Jan's college. This is going to be entirely on our own. We'll be staying mostly in London, but do want to make side trips to Stratford (there's a gun shop I passed there on the last trip, but they were closed for Sunday), and maybe Canterbury also.

Let me know about air gun shops in London.
    I have a relative whom teaches at several of the London American University's, Syracuse, Elon and FSU, not one of those is it?.
    Try Mays of London for airguns, it's in Buckhurst Hill towards the N.E, and keeps very good air pistol stock.

As mentioned earlier the Phoenix meet at Bisley is worth visiting. There are a few interesting elements to it.

The Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Jan, have you got an address where you're staying in London?
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

We are staying in the Hilton in Kensington and the address is:
    Hilton London Kensington
    179-199 Holland Park Avenue
    London
    W11 4UL

Telephone: 442076033355

Do you know the area? We stayed in Bayswater in 2007, and inKensington in 2008. They are very close to one another and nice areas.

Time is flying until we meet you all!
    Last edited by Jan McArthur; 24-03-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    Jan McArthur

Talking Seeing the sights!

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    Holidays in London; still, we had a piece on the news this morning about package tours to Iraq.

Central London is fine, but one would advise missing out the suburbs.
    When you say Stratford, you refer to Stratford upon Avon I assume?, not the area of N.E London.

I have a relative whom teaches at several of the London American University's, Syracuse, Elon and FSU, not one of those is it?.
    Try Mays of London for airguns, it's in Buckhurst Hill towards the N.E, and keeps very good air pistol stock.

As mentioned earlier the Phoenix meet at Bisley is worth visiting. There are a few interesting elements to it.
    Yes, Stratford-Upon-Avon is the place. I have done a lot of study (formal and informal) about your great Bard, and really enjoy his works. I think he must have been a real interesting fellow, and had a terrific sense of humor. I am by no means an expert, but really love to read his works, critical essays about them, and his biographies. I also love to read about the Tudors! What a family - they give new meaning to the word dysfuntional!! Elizabeth was the canniest and most brilliant ruler I think England has ever seen! The exploration of new lands (especially the New World) was such a daring and exciting move!

I teach at a community college in New Orleans - Delgado is the name of it - and I brought students two years in a row. However, the tour rushed us through the sights so fast, my head was spinning. It was like being made to run through an all you can eat buffet with a saucer!!This year we will really see the sights!

Jan
    Jan McArthur