Thread: Anschutz 335

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anschutz 335

These are nice little rifles, but are let down (well, in my humble opinion) by two key internal components:-
    poorly made spring guide
    even more poorly made piston.

The former can be remedied(and soon will be on the latest .22 example I have) by the fitting of one of Dave (Bonnie and Clyde's) excellent tune kits.

The piston however is a different story. Can the engineers and tool makers etc out there tell me how much work would it entail to produce a new monolithic piston for this rifle. I say this as the existing is simply a rolled sheet of heavy gauge steel and I would imagine if a new piston could be made then one could go the direction of buttoning the piston at the same time. I know there was someone on here that buttoned one some time ago (or am I getting mixed up with a Diana 34)?

Anyhow, this process, combined with a ptfe piston head, and closely matched spring and guide would mean this fine little rifle would give its best and I am sure some even better performance could be unlocked this way to get the best out of one of the most accurate springers out there.

Anyone tried making a new piston for one of these or indeed any rifle full-stop?

Thanks
    Dave

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    The former can be remedied(and soon will be on the latest .22 example I have) by the fitting of one of Dave (Bonnie and Clyde's) excellent tune kits.

The piston however is a different story. Can the engineers and tool makers etc out there tell me how much work would it entail to produce a new monolithic piston for this rifle.

Dave
    I don't think it would be an improvement to make a new piston out of stone.

But to answer the question, Bonnie & Clyde could probably true-up the existing piston and button it for you. The rolled sheet metal construction is not necessarily a problem, while making a new piston from solid might make it too heavy and also be very expensive. Orai8 buttoned his 335 some time ago, and found that it worked better at the 10 ft/lb level. The swept volume and small size of thes rifles means they are best used at this level. There are many good things about it, the trigger is excellent, thre breech lock up likewise, the barrel superb and the open sights the best ever put on a spring gun.

Send the cylinder and piston to B&C for buttoning & a PTFE washer, then find the right spring for her.

Just my opinion of course, good luck with her.

[QUOTE=Hsing-ee;3352287]I don't think it would be an improvement to make a new piston out of stone.

Sorry for the confusion- I meant "one piece"- I fear that making a piston out of stone is even beyond Dave's capabilities.

Thanks for your input. In my mind- and given the money and time- I would go the route of buttoning and a new better piston (I take your point about weight), and either reduce piston stroke and increase spring input (notwithstanding the perils of the front cylinder/stock lug weakness), or simply improve the rifles efficiency so as to keep the stroke the same but reduce spring input to soften recoil. In all cases, I would fit a ptfe head to these rifles as they respond well to it.

I guess its the old story of there being guns out there that respond as well if not better for less cost etc.

Good rifles all the same.

Cheers
    Dave