Thread: 10 mtrs Vs 6 yds

Question 10 mtrs Vs 6 yds

When i shoot 10 mtrs averages vary a lot between 82 & 92 %. But @ 6 yds i can't get near even the lower 82 %.??,any ideas please apart from my poor abilities...Mike...?
    Last edited by mickson; 16-02-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: change

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    When i shoot 10 mtrs averages vary a lot between 82 & 92 %. But @ 6 yds i can't get near even the lower 82 %.??,any ideas please apart from my poor abilities...Mike...?
    Hi Mike are you re-zeroing from 10m down to 6yrds and are you using 10m and 6yrd targets.?
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    You might need a slight adjustment to your sights.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Hi Mike are you re-zeroing from 10m down to 6yrds and are you using 10m and 6yrd targets.?
    thanks for reply yes i've got seperate zero's and use correct target's ?.mike.

thanks for reply yes i've got seperate zero's and use correct target's ?.mike.
    One of the biggest problems that most of use dont think about is lighting, if your shooting outside this is most noticeable and also near a window, the light refracts off the sights and throws your zero off.

What pistol are you using mike??

Try bench resting the pistol fire a group of fire shots at both distances and then compare the results with another round of 5 shot at each distance in your usual stance. if it's fine bench rested then it could be you.

Try a different pistol to see if you get different results, also if your shooting Co2 then for the test wait 30 seconds between each shot, as rapid fire will cool the Co2 and your pellets path will drop.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    One of the biggest problems that most of use dont think about is lighting, if your shooting outside this is most noticeable and also near a window, the light refracts off the sights and throws your zero off.

What pistol are you using mike??

Try bench resting the pistol fire a group of fire shots at both distances and then compare the results with another round of 5 shot at each distance in your usual stance. if it's fine bench rested then it could be you.

Try a different pistol to see if you get different results, also if your shooting Co2 then for the test wait 30 seconds between each shot, as rapid fire will cool the Co2 and your pellets path will drop.
    thanks for idea's i will do some test,my mate thinks its phscho distance is shorter, and even though target smaller I'm not concentrating as hard.Cheeky swine just politely calling me a bleeding nutter...mike...

see if you can get hold of "the doctor" on here... he knows a thing or 2 about pistol shooting

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Dr. Napoleon IV?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

BigEars Guest
    Th general view seems to be that shooting 6yd scaled is marginally easier than 10m so I'd guess it's a zeroing issue or maybe you're looking too much at the target which you can probably focus on at that distance and not enough at the front sight.

Hi Mike

How old are you?

I don't mean that to sound funny, but if you're around 40/45 maybe you're starting with Presbyopia. Don't worry , this happens to everyone as they get older, it simply means reading becomes more difficult and you may need an eye test to get a near distance prescription. This will make it easier to keep focus on your sights.

One of the problems with shooting at 6 yards is that your eye tends to drift (or focus) onto the target without you really noticing it, this is bad , you need to maintain focus on the sights at all times.

Hope this helps

Jem

Smile 10 Vs 6

Thanks for all the suggestions,will get some serious practice in to try them out...mike...

My mate........ Cheeky swine just politely calling me a bleeding nutter...mike...
    Ah ha, the harder the truth, the truer the friend.

Your shooting will come together ok, stop trying too hard.

Good luck, Phil

Mike,

I just pretend it's the boss at work, amazing how concentrated you can become..

atb
    Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Mike,

I just pretend it's the boss at work, amazing how concentrated you can become..

atb
    Russ
    I keep asking my boss for a photo, as he wont supply one i'll have to make do with my mates, or a photo of brown & blair would help.mike.