After a long search i have at last got hold of a stainless old army with the 51/2" barrel. Went into Fenland Rural Sports in Warboys to get some 777 and there it was, being sold as second hand but to be honest i dont think its ever been fired. The bottom of the cylinders and the nipples have no residue or any kind of disscoloration what so ever and still in its box with all the bits. Although quite heavy it feels really nice in the hand, solidly built but not quite as much of a hand full as the longer barreled target version. Roll on Sunday morning.
What i want to know is, is there anyone out there shooting one of these with 777,?
The way i understand it from the guys in the shop is it is used by volume not by weight. So, if i measure the volume of my normal 18grn charge of Swiss and use that volume of 777 i should be about right. I know some folks use a lot more black powder than my usual 18grns so i should be well below any sort of maximum loading.
Secondly, iv read on this site about some guys replacing the nipples after having problems with bits of spent caps getting stuck in the hammer mechanism. I had this problem with an old army some years ago but never did cure it so would appreciate any advice from anyone whos got their old army running well. Especially what size /make of caps youre using.
Thanks in advance for any advice, Tim.