Thread: Question for the coal burners

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Question for the coal burners

How do you clean the cylinders on a BP revolver properly?

The only brushes that I've been able to find have a loop on the end that stops the brush getting right to the back so there is always a portion of each chamber that doesn't get cleaned properly.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Take the nipples off.

I sometimes wrap a square of patch/cloth around the brush - and I also have some small bristle brushes that have the nylon bristles in one direction (like small stiff paint brushes - if that makes sense)

Mind you - I have also done the 'dishwasher trick' too ....... somewhat p*ssed off the missus though !

R

Clean mine in an utrasonic cleaner - works a treat.

Cleaning

Bounty kitchen towel and a chop stick after a soak in hot water and Faiy liquid

Fits all the way through the barrel too

Voodoo.

Use Black Powder brushes, they have no loop on the end, but as said peviously, take the nipples out, it makes cleaning easier, plus it's good practice, otherwise they can get so fouled up that they are a pain to remove. I broke a nipple wrench on a club gun a couple of weeks ago, because nobody had taken the nipples out for months Managed to get them out after soaking the cylinder in boiling water for a 1/2 hour.
    Use the proper tools and you can't go wrong.

ATB
    Baz
    Toys : .308 Rem 700 SPS Tac, 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin K31, 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant M44, .45/70 Browning Mod 1885 HWTR, 8x60R Portuguese Kropatscheck, .58cal PH 1861 Enfield Carbine, .22LR-CZ452 Silhouette Tac, .22LR Smith & Wesson-M&P 15-22-M4 Carbine

Dishwasher for me, although I do clean the rest of the gun by hand.

Grips off, cylinder out, drop all metal parts in HOT soapy water then scrub barrel and cylinder chambers out with piece of flexible nylon rod with scotch brite super glued to it. Remove nipples and clean them and the cylinder with an old tooth brush. Dry with a hair dryer. Refit nipples after smearing grease on the threads, grease cylinder pin and refit cylinder. Spray wd40 into barrel, cylinder chambers and pistol action ect, Refit grips, job done.

I use a rolled up piece of wire wool to clean the chambers.
    Daz

Cleaning

Grips off, cylinder out, drop all metal parts in HOT soapy water then scrub barrel and cylinder chambers out with piece of flexible nylon rod with scotch brite super glued to it. Remove nipples and clean them and the cylinder with an old tooth brush. Dry with a hair dryer. Refit nipples after smearing grease on the threads, grease cylinder pin and refit cylinder. Spray wd40 into barrel, cylinder chambers and pistol action ect, Refit grips, job done.
    What can I say...Spot on, think we had the same teacher

Voodoo

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Don't do what I did

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    NEVER put it into the oven to dry after spraying with WD40. It took weeks to get the stench out of it. WD40 is very pungent when warmed.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch