Thread: 20yd/25yd benchrest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    I think it is a great idea to get some sort of Benchrest League going within the UK however in previous posts it is obvious that there are too many different rules going about.

At Buxted we shoot UKBR22 and find them accommodating towards air rifle shooting.

As the first World Championships took place last year using these rules and the new World rules are currently being drafted (based largely on these) so as to standardise it in the World arena don't you think it would be sensible in an effort to get the sport to grow that the country as a whole adopt the same set of rules. This years nationals will be using these rules.

I appreciate that there are current regional leagues in existence using their own rules. I would love to enter another competition other than the UKBR22 ones that I currently do each month but I would suggest a different target would be the best way to go with a standardising of the rules across the country.

If you want to do benchrest seriously then you can spend a lot of money and time sorting your kit. Front rests can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. If you are shooting different classes you need different bags unless you have an adjustable top. This part of the rules could be a major stumbling block nationally. You must I feel go for the most liberal view so as to encompass most people because what we want is competition. The most competitive shooter at Buxted at the moment is using a bipod.

Equally classes and divisions let like shoot against like equipment and ability wise, so don’t be afraid to have air competing against air and live fire against live fire. I think if you study the UKBR22 scores section you will see that the rimfire scores are on their targets predominantly more consistent. Don’t read this as more accurate because I don’t think there is much in it. But what they have is an advantage in their propulsion at the standard of Tennex and the like is much more easier to control than in an airgun with power curves and fill pressures etc..

Even UKBR22 has daft rules like .177 and .22 competing against each other plugged with calibre specific gauges, still cannot get my head around that one.

I'm sure we could put 3 or 4 teams into such a competition.

Good luck with whatever you achieve.

Andy

hi Andy

Many thanks for your very constructive views

I think you and i are thinking along the same lines and thanks for your proposal to put 3 or 4 teams into this competition

For an open shoot, it would be easy to shoot different classes such as in the UK22BR postals .

However for the postal league some of the Midland clubs have just a handful of members, some use air and some .22 rimfire. So seeding into divisions would probably be based on a team average (as we do for our 11 LSR Divisions) and the team members can use either air or rimfire

Shooting a good air rifle at 25 yards indoors i recorded an average of 99.1 ex 100 using the standard NSRA 25 yd targets over the winter months which is only slightly less than my rimfire 25 yard benchrest average on these cards. However when using the air rifle each pellet had to be selected/treated with care and examined just prior to use,whereas on the rimfire rifle i used just mid-priced club ammo.
    I have occasionally shot 100's with even the cheapest 'Club' .22 rounds however putting cheaper pellets in the AA400 would be a complete waste of time and end in tears and frustration.
    I have also found to my cost that even slight damage to a pellet can cost you 10 points. Not so with the rimfire bullet.

As said above, it is outdoors where the poor air rifle really struggles against the rimfire rifle even at 25 yards.

I also, like you, am confused by the UK22BR rule of guaging to calibre
    and I look forward to any review and revision of the current rules

ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I also, like you, am confused by the UK22BR rule of guaging to calibre
    and I look forward to any review and revision of the current rules

ATB
    John

I beleive that UK22BR are planning to guage .177 calibre as .22

Colin.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Thanks for the attachment John will be ordering the targets soon, I take it the entry forms electronically and the money in the post for the entry fees will suffice.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    Thanks for the attachment John will be ordering the targets soon, I take it the entry forms electronically and the money in the post for the entry fees will suffice.

Andy
    Hi Andy
    Yes thats fine
    Please see my next post re score cards
    ATBest john
    hold me back !!

score card system

All targets will be scored by the clubs nominated scorer and retained until 1 month after the competition is completed. This is so that any anomalies can be checked if necessary

Because quite a number of club secretaries now have computer access, then I will send out a template/score card (in excel) that can be saved by the club and submitted after each round with the shooters scores.
    This will save a bit on postage and the need for sending me SAE's for results

I will obviously send hard copies of the score cards/results to those clubs that prefer not to use e-mail

ATB
    John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 17-07-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: score card info added
    hold me back !!

entries

Entries are now being received. Thanks to those clubs who have responded so far.
    If any other clubs would like an entry form please get in touch

There is no affiliation fee to the Midland league, just the team entry cost of £12.50 / team of 3 shooters.

John
    hold me back !!

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Re scoring are we using a standard/same guage or will we just be accepting that any .22 plug will be acceptable?

If we are saying all must use the same perhaps a link to a supplier of said guage would be helpful.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.