Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 20yd/25yd benchrest

Plugs

Hi Simmmo
    Paul Lane are entering this league,so our plug'a are the ones used and supplied by the nsra,I think a plug as used for other competition has got to be ok,A bit of trust in fellow shooters is how I look at things,but we seem to have lost this in other parts of our sport,and not for the better IMO.We at paul lane club are looking forward to what we believe is needed in 22 bench rest,[competition by shooters for shooters]See you at Portishead.
    Regards John F.

Entry from Perth SBRC

Just to let you know we have two teams arranged and we have sent off the application. Could you confirm that NSRA .22 gauges are ok to use

Thanks

Iain

Hi, John

It is very sad to have to report that one of the members of our benchrest team has died. I will send you an email with details of the replacement team-member. A very sad business. Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    Just to let you know we have two teams arranged and we have sent off the application. Could you confirm that NSRA .22 gauges are ok to use

Thanks

Iain
    hi Iain and Andy
    Our Club captain (John Fudge) does all our scoring with NSRA gauges so i believe it is the standard guage used for .22 rimfire cards
    I am away from home at present but I will confirm with John that it is a standard .22 NSRA guage and post confirmation on here
    ATbest John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    Hi, John

It is very sad to have to report that one of the members of our benchrest team has died. I will send you an email with details of the replacement team-member. A very sad business. Best regards.

That really is sad news Charlie
    Thanks for letting me know and kind regards
    John
    hold me back !!

.22 Gauge

The gauge to be used to score these cards is the standard .22 inward scoring gauge supplied by the NSRA. This gauge measures .22 " across the flange/widest part of the gauge

I believe there is another NSRA .22 gauge which is used for outward gauging of shot holes and is larger in diameter than .22". This other gauge is unsuitable for inward scoring of these cards

I will include a set of scoring rules that explain the use of the probe in the envelope with the stickers

So far we have 22 teams entered with another 12 teams still to register, so hopefully we will have enough teams for 5 or 6 divisions

There is a mix of airgun and rimfire and some of the rimfire shooters are using sporting rifles so there should be a wide spread of scores
    John
    hold me back !!

?

Will the scoring be available to view online??

scores

Quote Originally Posted by ppendleton View Post
    Will the scoring be available to view online??
    The intention was to send hard copies of results to each clubs secretary or captain/co-ordinator.
    For those clubs who prefer electronic copies instead, I will e-mail results

Our club has a new web site and I will investigate with the guy(a club member) who maintains it, if we can somehow link the benchrest scores to the website.
    If so, then, as I also run 6 divisions of the Midland 20 LSRifle, I will also link these scores to the website. Hopefully if the scores are available for all to see, then it may encourage other BBS members to take part in the competitions.

The 20 yard sport rifle is very popular and there are a total of 12 divisions each with 10 teams of 3 shooters in midland League

Like the benchrest, there is a wide range of guns used in the LSR with a split probably 65% rimfire and 35% air rifle in our leagues. Spring air rifles such as the HW77/97 and AA Tx200's seem capable of very high scores at 20 yards standing and can match if not better rimfire sporting arms

John
    hold me back !!

give it a try!!

Why not give it a try!!

For those clubs who have never competed in benchrest, can I just say that you do not need 'state of the art' equipment to do well or win

At our club, a humble AA400 (.177) with the AA stock has won the clubs Summer and Winter leagues for the last 2 years beating the rimfire boys and the more expensive EV2's etc.

This last season the AA400 air rifle won by 0.7 of a point out of 2000 points, with a very experienced rimfire shooter coming second. So you do not need a rimfire at 20/25 yds
    The scope used was a £100 tasco 24 power. However the same rifle with a cheapo (£50)-10 power scope won the same league last year

The top 3 air rifles were all AA400's with standard stocks, all using JSB's or AA pellets

The bench rest equipment used (ie.sand bags and front adjustable pedestal) cost just £65/set and tables/benches can be cheaply made

So you do not have to lay out much money to be competitive at Benchrest shooting
    If your club only has outdoor facilities then choosing the 20 yard option instead of 25 yard will help with coping with the wind

Entries for the Winter League are still open until 4th August, so why not have a word with your clubs secretary and give it a try. You will have about 8 weeks to make a table/bench and get some practise

We have one club member who is 85 years old and has very poor eye sight but can (with a 24 power scope) post some excellent scores. So age is not a problem with this discipline
    john
    hold me back !!

Targets

Targets will be posted today to the 2 clubs that wanted L&D to supply them
    Entry is now up to 25 teams
    John
    hold me back !!

Teams

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Targets will be posted today to the 2 clubs that wanted L&D to supply them
    Entry is now up to 25 teams
    John
    Hi John
    25 teams thats Tickety boo,and it will make for good competition.How many shooters are there in total[25x3=75]?.
    Regards John F.

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Hi John
    25 teams thats Tickety boo,and it will make for good competition.How many shooters are there in total[25x3=75]?.
    Regards John F.
    Hi John
    Yes its looking pretty good
    We may end up with 30 teams of 3 = 90 shooters plus any reserves

In our club we try to nominate a couple of new club members as reserves for each discipline if possible. The reserves shoot a set of practise cards for each round and can step in and shoot the competition round cards if a team member has problems(holidays/illness etc)

The practise cards are marked by the club and enable the reserve to get into competitive shooting and establish an average for the discipline.
    This is recorded/stored on our computer for future competitions or when his services are called upon to replace another team member
    The reserve can shoot for more than one team if necessary (but not in the same round)
    If his average exceeds the average of the team member he replaces (very rarely)then the appropriate adjustment is made by the competition co-ordinator to maintain fairness to other teams. So it is important to establish accurate averages for any reserves as soon as possible
    john
    hold me back !!

22benchrest

Hi John
    That is an amazing number of shooters,It just goes to show how important domistic competition is to Uk shooters.

You are to be congratulated on your effort in getting this league up and running.Can't wait to get started.
    Regards John F.

P.s we hope to run a [open to all] comp about October time,as our first effort last year went well.
    Regards John F.

open shoot

Please keep me informed of date etc. of Open shoot
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Many thanks for the targets that you sent me, John. We will shoot some practice cards whilst waiting for the stickers to come through. The lads are really keen. I appreciate the hard work that has gone into organising this competition.