Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 20yd/25yd benchrest

teams entered

Entries are still coming in and we are now up to 31 teams so far
    We should start with 6 divisions which will give shooters of all abilities the chance to compete
    Quite a lot of shooters are using sporting rimfire rifles rather than target guns
    I think that this is because they are using their only rimfire rifle which they already use in LSR. So it will be interesting to see how these light weight rifles perform
    I must say that I am very pleased with the number of entries so far and it would be great if this discipline really takes off

John.
    hold me back !!

Hi John,
    Now that entries have closed how many teams did we eventually end up with
    Should be a good comp.

6 divisions

Quote Originally Posted by AASHOOTER View Post
    Hi John,
    Now that entries have closed how many teams did we eventually end up with
    Should be a good comp.
    We have 6 divisions of 6 teams
    Each team will shoot against each other team in the division twice
    So there are 10 rounds with 2 points awarded to the winning team each round
    A draw gives both teams 1 point
    At the end of the season, if 2 teams in the same division end up with the same points then the aggregate score comes into play and decides the winning team

For those clubs that have still to order their Midland targets, please ensure that you specify they are for Midland league use (Not Yorkshire)

The cards are basically the same except that Midland cards do not have 'Yorkshire' in the heading and do not have an instruction on them regarding a bonus point(1.0) for taking out the complete bull

If you specified this and were sent the wrong targets by the printer in error, then do not worry, you can still use the Yorkshire targets, just ignore the scoring instruction on the left hand side of the card

I will sent an instruction sheet out with the stickers as to how to score these Midland targets with the NSRA plug gauge and how to score the magic inner 10 that gives an extra 0.1 point
    John
    hold me back !!

Checking application received

Hi John,

Can you just confirm if you have received an application from Malvern Pistol & Rifle Club, I think we have entered 3 teams? I hope our application isn't too late as the comp is a hot topic at the club at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan

malvern

hi Dan
    Yes your club have 3 teams entered
    We have 36 teams entered altogether which is perfect for 6 divisions without any Byes or Bogies required
    The stickers have not yet arrived from the leagues Chairman so I will chase them up today
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Thanks John, I shall let the guys know tomorrow night. I guess the next thing for us to do is to order the targets and get some practice in

Thanks again,

Dan

targets

hi Dan
    Make sure that the targets ordered are for Midland league use and not Yorkshire
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

New JSB pellet

Have any of you air rifle benchrest men tried the new Falcon 7.3 grain pellet yet off the bench
    I am interested in the sort of scores this new pellet gives
    At our club it seems to give excellent results in some barrels but very poor in others
    I am going to carry out some more tests tomorrow to see if the Falcon can out perform my JSB's and Mozzies
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Have any of you air rifle benchrest men tried the new Falcon 7.3 grain pellet yet off the bench
    I am interested in the sort of scores this new pellet gives
    At our club it seems to give excellent results in some barrels but very poor in others
    I am going to carry out some more tests tomorrow to see if the Falcon can out perform my JSB's and Mozzies
    John

hey where did those pellets appear from Never seen or heard of them before.

new pellets

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_B View Post
    hey where did those pellets appear from Never seen or heard of them before.
    Come on Stuart, get up to speed

Its worth trying them Stuart
    Out of one of my AA400's I would rate them better than anything else at 25 yd
    In my other one they are very average

Velocity is high obviously due to light weight

Weight variation is better than any other pellet I have checked - Less than 0.18 grains from lightest to heaviest in the batch I bought. They are much shorter than the standard JSB
    As with all JSB pellets, the head size on the back of the tin means nothing as the heads are less than 4.5mm, same as with the majority of AA/Daystate/JSB pellets. Skirts are 4.6mm+ and pretty consistent
    John
    hold me back !!

The lads were having a bash at our new targets, last night. Blimey it's difficult to take out that bull cleanly. When we have stickers do we post shot cards to you or self-score and send you the results? Many thanks for all your hard work.

score cards self scoring

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    The lads were having a bash at our new targets, last night. Blimey it's difficult to take out that bull cleanly. When we have stickers do we post shot cards to you or self-score and send you the results? Many thanks for all your hard work.
    Hi Charlie
    The targets are scored by a club official usually the club Captain/Secretary/Comp. Secretary who fills in the score cards that I will e-mail to you and return them to me after each round
    I will send out shooting dates with the stickers and scoring instruction
    Because this is the first season, I will call in targets for 1 or more rounds from each club to ensure we are all scoring correctly
    John
    hold me back !!

fixtures/score cards

I have e-mailed today all clubs taking part in the competition and included a fixture list showing last dates for shooting each round,a sketch and instructions regarding scoring the targets and a spare set of rules etc
    Stickers are packaged up to send but I need to have some envelopes checked for weight/postage before sending so the stickers will be with you hopefully Thursday/Friday
    John
    hold me back !!

Looking forward to it

There is a good buzz at the Malvern club regarding the comp, some new equipment coming in too as a lot of us air shooters only had open sights so a few new scopes starting to show. Also the discussion of rests is interesting with a lot of us opting to build front rests with adjustments.

Its nice to have something new to get our teeth in to but also nice to see a lot of creativeness regarding equipment rather than just going out and spending a lot of dosh Maybe we could post some photos of our contraptions on here

We also have a good mix of rimfire and air shooters in the comp so again plenty of discussion about advantages and disadvantages of that.

Thanks John for putting this together and lets hope it is the start of a comp that will long continue.

Dan

front rests

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Walters View Post
    There is a good buzz at the Malvern club regarding the comp, some new equipment coming in too as a lot of us air shooters only had open sights so a few new scopes starting to show. Also the discussion of rests is interesting with a lot of us opting to build front rests with adjustments.

Its nice to have something new to get our teeth in to but also nice to see a lot of creativeness regarding equipment rather than just going out and spending a lot of dosh Maybe we could post some photos of our contraptions on here

We also have a good mix of rimfire and air shooters in the comp so again plenty of discussion about advantages and disadvantages of that.

Thanks John for putting this together and lets hope it is the start of a comp that will long continue.

Dan
    Hi Dan
    Quite a few of our members have made their own front rests and found the following:

1 It can be a fixed height and height adjustments can be achieved by sliding the rear rest forwards or backwards

2 It should be topped preferably with a small bag of sand. If a spongy foam or rubber are used on top of the front rest groups seem to open up.
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!