Thread: A couple thoughts on practicing....

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

A couple thoughts on practicing....

1) I was starting to notice a lot of "misfires" when practicing recently: thought it was the different brand of pellets I was using. THEN I noticed what it was!

As I'd raise the pistol to take a practice sighting (I'm talking about my Smith C02), I was unconsciously pulling slightly in the trigger: "indexing" (is that the right word?) it, so that after a couple times it would rotate out of position so that my intended first shot (of the six I'd loaded) would really be the 2nd round, maybe even the 3rd, in the cylinder!

Be careful!

2) My method of practicing for the Police shoot has been to put the pistol aside after the comp, then dig it out a few days before the next comp and practice - all 3 stages at a piece - for a couple days.

This is silly! I'm going to try to practice a little, every day. The comp breaks down into 3 stages: why not practice every day, but just one stage each day? Devote most of your time to the stage you shoot the worst. Then, put it all together at the comp!

Cheers,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 21-02-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I've not had time to shoot this time Jim.

Got a wonderfull day today as well, trouble is Lesley's outside gardening so I dont stand a chance of getting my guns out

Will spend the day working on my special project instead

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Gardening in February? Sounds more like New Orleans, Tony!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Got a wonderfull day today as well, trouble is Lesley's outside gardening so I dont stand a chance of getting my guns out

Tony
    get your guns out and chase her indoors mate....

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    get your guns out and chase her indoors mate....

Russ
    I don't know: air pistol vs. gardening tools: Tony's got the range, but Lesley's got the impact.

What's the foot pounds of a gardening hoe at 3 feet from the "muzzle"?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    1) I was starting to notice a lot of "misfires" when practicing recently: thought it was the different brand of pellets I was using. THEN I noticed what it was!

As I'd raise the pistol to take a practice sighting (I'm talking about my Smith C02), I was unconsciously pulling slightly in the trigger: "indexing" (is that the right word?) it, so that after a couple times it would rotate out of position so that my intended first shot (of the six I'd loaded) would really be the 2nd round, maybe even the 3rd, in the cylinder!

Be careful!

2) My method of practicing for the Police shoot has been to put the pistol aside after the comp, then dig it out a few days before the next comp and practice - all 3 stages at a piece - for a couple days.

This is silly! I'm going to try to practice a little, every day. The comp breaks down into 3 stages: why not practice every day, but just one stage each day? Devote most of your time to the stage you shoot the worst. Then, put it all together at the comp!

Cheers,

Jim
    Some real good points raised here Jim.
    The skipping of shots is interesting.

The Co2 version is like the Smith L & N frames. You can index the cylinder all the way around without firing a shot. Pulling back 80% or less on the trigger will rotate the cylinder and then letting the trigger return to rest will make it ready for the next in line pellet.

Over the years I've found the best way to shoot is double action only (I had the single action disconnected) Using the first joint of the index finger and not the pad of the finger pull back untill the hammer is almost full cock, you can then pause momentarily to make any minor adjustments to your sight picture and then let the shot break.

The main reason I adopted this way is because I found there was a different impact point between single action and double action.

And, you're 100% right on using 3 targets for PP1. Much easier to score and lets you know where you may have any weaknesses. I'm just too figgin' lazy to do it this way. But, I will start doing it this from this month.

Good luck, Phil

Smile Ratgunner

Have learned more than a couple of things from both posts, Thanks for that.

I have a 4" S&W though I have to shoot it at the range mostly as the noise upsets my Neighbour,
    and have tried many pellets, I have developed a technique that I would be grateful if some of you tried,

I found domed pellets the most accurate and consistent but still had the odd couple creeping out of my chosen target area?
    I am using AA 4.51mm domes but once I have loaded the mag I place it muzzle end on an old bit of mirror and gently push the pellet through until all the domes are rested accurately on the glass,
    the theory being that a lot of gas and also impetus is lost through the gapping of the magazine and gun body and if the pellets are pre-started as it were they should travel faster and more accurately,

My groups are now 5p sized and consistent as far as a Co2 will go, any feedback would be more than welcome, ATB, Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    Have learned more than a couple of things from both posts, Thanks for that.

I have a 4" S&W though I have to shoot it at the range mostly as the noise upsets my Neighbour,
    and have tried many pellets, I have developed a technique that I would be grateful if some of you tried,

I found domed pellets the most accurate and consistent but still had the odd couple creeping out of my chosen target area?
    I am using AA 4.51mm domes but once I have loaded the mag I place it muzzle end on an old bit of mirror and gently push the pellet through until all the domes are rested accurately on the glass,
    the theory being that a lot of gas and also impetus is lost through the gapping of the magazine and gun body and if the pellets are pre-started as it were they should travel faster and more accurately,

My groups are now 5p sized and consistent as far as a Co2 will go, any feedback would be more than welcome, ATB, Bernard.
    Good move. It's wise to seat the pellets so the skirts don't drag on the recoil plate when indexing the gun.

To be honest I use any and all pellets in my S&W, sometimes a mixture of pellets in one mag. As log as the pellet skirt fits snugly in the mag they all go well.

Having said that if you're looking for one hole group using one brand is a wiser choice.

Have you entered the PP1 postal comp' on this site?

Very good for keeping the edge.

Good luck, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Good move. It's wise to seat the pellets so the skirts don't drag on the recoil plate when indexing the gun.

To be honest I use any and all pellets in my S&W, sometimes a mixture of pellets in one mag. As log as the pellet skirt fits snugly in the mag they all go well.

Having said that if you're looking for one hole group using one brand is a wiser choice.

Have you entered the PP1 postal comp' on this site?

Very good for keeping the edge.

Good luck, Phil
    Yes, please do check out our Police Pistol Comp ar the "www.umarexboysclub" Sticky.

Jim

Smile Ratgunner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Yes, please do check out our Police Pistol Comp ar the "www.umarexboysclub" Sticky.

Jim
    Will do as soon as I can, Thanks Jim and Phil both,

Bernard.