Thread: Bulldog Pellets

Bulldog Pellets

After being impressed with the 'new and improved' Bulldog pellets, I recently wrote to the manufacturers, Lane's Ltd., who are now in their 150th year of operation. I was asking them if they still make the "Lane's Ammo" pellets that I used as a kid a couple of decades ago, or the "Lane's Special Heavy" pellets that I used to see advertised in the mags.

I used Lane's 'Ammo' in my little Diana smoothbore pop-out, and lots of Bulldogs in a little Gamo pistol that I used to have. The Bulldogs were not very good in the Gamo, I bought them because they were the only pellets that the local fishing tackle shop sold, and remember thinking that the Bulldogs were not very consistently shaped, though the accuracy probably probably wasn't helped because the Bulldogs were designed for British, not continental barrels.

A couple of years ago I bought some Bulldogs to try out after hearing about the improvements, and I was really pleased to see that they do seem to be very much improved. They are far more consistent in shape than they used to be, and while they are a little bit old fashioned in terms of design, being a classic roundhead diabolo shape, they do seem to be well formed. I am unable to weigh them, but am pleased to report that the .177s shoot very well through my Webley pistols and my BSA Scorpions, in fact all my 'british' barrelled airguns. I have even used the .22 ones in my BSA Super 10 with good results. Also I am pleased to see that the malformed pellets that were so numerous in the tins I had years ago are very few and far between.

When you think that in addition to being good pellets, excellent for plinking, these are possibly the cheapest pellets you can get, they are British made (not made in China like some other cheapies that are very poor indeed) and you are getting a product from a firm with a 150 year history, you can see that these are excellent value for money. I am so pleased with these new Bulldogs that I can seriously see them replacing the Wasp as the favourite British pellet.

In the letter I got back from Lane's they said that they are developing some new pellet shapes, I will definitely be buying some of those when they come out!

It's definitely worth giving Bulldogs a try, especially if you enjoy plinking.

Rob M
    Last edited by Rob M; 21-07-2004 at 10:55 AM.

Gazo Guest
    Tried the bulldogs a few months ago and after opening the tub I was well disapointed.
    The pellets look total cr@p and shoot total cr@p.
    I tested them at the club and had a a 12inch group at 25 yards
    I also tried these pellets in a few other guns with the same results.
    And it wasn't just a bad tub as I had 2 tubs and my mate had 2 tubs and all were the same.

Personally I think they are a load of rubbish and would never buy them again, and would never risk hunting with these pellets.
    It's a pity that is the best us brits can come up with.

If you want decent pellets go for JSB/AA/Daystate type pellets you won't find much better in .177 & .22.

What sort of barrel are you using them in? If you are shooting them through a Walther or other european barrel, they probably won't be very accurate.

In any case I did say that they were good for plinking, and have had good results through most of my pistols, I never said they'd be good for hunting. The .22 ones went ok through my BSA Super 10, not as good as the best pellets that cost two or three times as much, but ok. I wouldn't use them for hunting either.

These are very cheap pellets, they are great for plinking and very good value for money. You won't be winning FT competitions with them though...

Rob M

Gazo Guest
    Rob tried them in a few guns AA400, AA200 ,HW 90 , Falcon etc
    The ones I had the pellets were very rough with extra bits hanging of them
    Can't remember what I paid for them but it was not much cheaper than what I pay for my JSB pellets.
    Like you I bought them thinking they may be alright for plinking thus saving my decent pellets for HFT and hunting.
    As you said they work well in your pistols, maybe they are better at lower FPS.
    I have a few tins here you can have if you make it to any of the HFT shoots.

Gary

Gary C Guest
    Guess I have a different perspective

My time is to precious to waste and going to the range and spraying random pellets down it is not my idea of fun to save £2 a day !

Gazo, all your guns have German Walther barrels don't they? I use these bulldogs for plinking through my British made pistols, and can shoot one inch groups at ten metres with them, which I think is fine for plinking, specially bearing in mind how cheap they are. Also, I like to support British firms.

Bulldogs cost me about half what JSBs do, and about 1/3 what Crosman Premiers cost... I still reckon they are great for the money!

I don't have any connection with the firm by the way, I just do more plinking than anything else these days.

Rob M

Pat... Guest
    Careful chaps - extolling the virtues of cr@p pellets is likely to tempt Bob into offering samples of even cr@pper tin pellets with even less consistency at half the price....

Thers nothing a tin pellet can't do see?

Gary C Guest
    Originally posted by Pat...
    Careful chaps - extolling the virtues of cr@p pellets is likely to tempt Bob into offering samples of even cr@pper tin pellets with even less consistency at half the price....

Thers nothing a tin pellet can't do see?

Tin Pellet , Brass Neck..... a deadly combination

RochdaleLad Guest
    To be honest, I buy bulldogs. And they work fine through a .22 Webley Nemesis. I get single hole groups at about 7-8metres when using a laser (and off a rest). Not so impressive but it works for me.

I must admit, I tried some .177's through my 400, and they _were_ crap. I couldn't even get one to land on the paper at about 35 yards - and no, I am not _that_ bad a shot.

David.

Maybe they are crap through Walther barrels, but then I only have one gun with a walther barrel, and have never shot them through that. They do go very nicely through my Webley Tempest though, and my brother's Hurricane...

Mercury MK2 Guest

bulldogs

Been trying to pick-up some Bulldogs now for a while, no-one seems to stock 'em round 'ere. Used to shoot loads of 'em as a schoolboy, along with Marksman's & Wasps. Always thought they were ok, & easy on the pocketmoney. only used 'em for plinking so no big accuracy issues. I'll keep tryin'
    A.T.B.
    John

RochdaleLad Guest
    Where abouts in West Yorks are you?

Towers in sunny Rochdale stock Bulldogs, if you're desperate...

Think its 3.50 for a pot of 500.