Thread: Spent This Afternoon Zeroing

Unhappy Spent This Afternoon Zeroing

Hi Guys & Gals

I've been borrowing a scoped crosman pistol the past couple of months & really 'got' used it. I was able to win a few side shoot competitions & the snooker competition with it Now I've gave it back .

So I decided to fettle with my Hw45. I put a laser sight on top & spent all afternoon trying to zero it.

First few shots was not even going on the target, worked out it was going high & far right. Adjusted the laser, shot 3 shots, went low & left.

So now I just adjusted the height. 3 shots again & they went even lower. Adjusted again went even lower. Then realised I was adjusting the wrong way

So I adjusted the laser in the opposite direction, but adjusted it too much & was going to high . Done abit fine tuning shot again on now about my fifth target. The group wasn't tight but it is to the left but centre.

Happy with the height, I went onto the windage. Adjusted & shot 3 shots, the group went even more left. Yes I adjust it the wrong away . So I adjusted it again in the oppoisite direction. However the group went way to the right & lower. So this time I adjusted the laser for windage & slightly for height.

Finally I got the windage right but the height was just low.

Now the light outside was getting dark & I spent enough time outside, so I thought I'd have a quick go on the new snooker target, the the knowledge to aim just aim slightly higher.

Got myself ready & shot the target. First shot went where I wanted, Second shot, It went too low & broke the middle section, which with this target is game over.

So I scored a total of 1

Back to the drawing board tomorrow as I'm not going to give up, but god I'm pants

Just thought I'd let you all know, don't give up, but still keep it fun! So I shot up some cans

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

If your setting up laser Paddy, try clamping the pistol, take the shot, then move the laser to the hole the pellet made.

By the way why couldn't you give the crosman back before you shot the snooker comp.

I hope you appreciate the hard work i put in saving you postage in the snooker comp.

atvb

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    If your setting up laser Paddy, try clamping the pistol, take the shot, then move the laser to the hole the pellet made.

By the way why couldn't you give the crosman back before you shot the snooker comp.

I hope you appreciate the hard work i put in saving you postage in the snooker comp.

atvb

Jason
    Good idea, however with it being a spring it won't recoil naturally, so the next shot after it's been adjusted & un clamped theorecally won't be the same POI. Though I will give it ago.

I'm really trying to take this serious I might even go & buy another pistol/ scope set up

also Jason. Any more cockyness & I won't even post the awards to you

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

have you tried shooting off a sandbag or similar instead of clamping - should let the pistol recoil and give you a good, solid rest

Quote Originally Posted by jax13 View Post
    have you tried shooting off a sandbag or similar instead of clamping - should let the pistol recoil and give you a good, solid rest
    I'll try that first, cheers.

I need as much help as I can get, if I've got any chance of winning again
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Paddy, your not as bad as you think fella, I've seen you shoot, you just try to hard, relax and go with the flow. if you are going to get another pistol i woiud strongly suggest a HW40 and add a scope or red dot for the optical comps. Make sure you get to have a go with my scoped one at the meet.

atvb

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Hi Paddy,

I've stuck a hawke sports red dot on my 53m. The zero alters just about every shot Just doesn't seem to like it. Daren't even try it on the Falcon.......

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Hi Paddy,

I've stuck a hawke sports red dot on my 53m. The zero alters just about every shot Just doesn't seem to like it. Daren't even try it on the Falcon.......

Russ
    Hi Russ

I was thinking that the recoil wasn't holding the zero, however my groups were in a 'tightish group' but just not where the dot was pointing. I just couldn't the laser zero'ed to the bull, but most of that was my fault for adjusting the wrong way

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

how did you fettle it?

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    how did you fettle it?

All I meant by fettle it was put a laser on it & adjust badly
    BE-HAPPY-OK

MojoCrow is offline It rubs the lotion on the anarchist ginger tom.....
    What make of laser sight is it? I've got a Hawke laser and i rotated it in it's mount to give a course zero adjustment. Then i used the laser's adjustment screws to fine tune it (the locking screw was a swine though; as i tightened it , it moved the laser a fraction).
    Customised AA S400 Carbine
    Ros beef, go home! www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk SiHFT winners 2008 2009 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MojoCrow View Post
    What make of laser sight is it? I've got a Hawke laser and i rotated it in it's mount to give a course zero adjustment. Then i used the laser's adjustment screws to fine tune it (the locking screw was a swine though; as i tightened it , it moved the laser a fraction).
    It's a beamshot, I can't remember what model it is. It's been in my bits & pieces bow for ages.

What I did notice when I adjusted the windage the height would alter too? However the laser dosen't seem canted on the mounts.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

MojoCrow is offline It rubs the lotion on the anarchist ginger tom.....
    Looking at Beamshot's website (http://www.beamshot.com/laser_sight.html), it looks like the fancier/expensive 'professional' models have external adjustment and the cheaper models use grub screws.

If your beamshot laser is anything like my hawke, you'll probably find that you'll have to adjust elevation & windage at the same time (or use an allen key to hold one grub screw still while the other is 'meddled' with) so that one doesn't affect the other.
    Customised AA S400 Carbine
    Ros beef, go home! www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk SiHFT winners 2008 2009 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    It's a beamshot, I can't remember what model it is. It's been in my bits & pieces bow for ages.

What I did notice when I adjusted the windage the height would alter too? However the laser dosen't seem canted on the mounts.

Hi Paddy,

Lasers are notorious for beeing a bugger to zero.
    Most have only 3 screws so move any one an the other 2 need readjusting

On my big telescope, I have a red dot sight that works similar to the laser principle. but its even harder to zero that because it has a total of 6 screws, 3 at the front and 3 at the rear. Just takes a lot of doing, but when you get it right its spot on

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by MojoCrow View Post
    Looking at Beamshot's website (http://www.beamshot.com/laser_sight.html), it looks like the fancier/expensive 'professional' models have external adjustment and the cheaper models use grub screws.

If your beamshot laser is anything like my hawke, you'll probably find that you'll have to adjust elevation & windage at the same time (or use an allen key to hold one grub screw still while the other is 'meddled' with) so that one doesn't affect the other.
    Hi.

It's the 1000s laser, I think I'll have to do both adjustments at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Hi Paddy,

Lasers are notorious for beeing a bugger to zero.
    Most have only 3 screws so move any one an the other 2 need readjusting

On my big telescope, I have a red dot sight that works similar to the laser principle. but its even harder to zero that because it has a total of 6 screws, 3 at the front and 3 at the rear. Just takes a lot of doing, but when you get it right its spot on

Tony

Hi Tony.

I've Just got to keep trying.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK