Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weihrauch HW77

Never gave the 77 a thought when I got back into Air Rifles and had never used one.I bought a 95 and was happy with it. My mate got a 77 and must say even if it is on the heavy side its spot on, ok I have long arms and long fingers but it fits like a glove.I also have AA 400-Airsporter mk6 and Diana G80 but will at some time look for a 77.My son had a 57 and found it was very twangy he now has AA 400 and says he will probably look at a 77 or 97 in time

[[ Ten years later I was reading an old Airgunworld article on tuning where it said that "PTFE piston washers need to be dry fired to form to the cylinder".
    I got the gun out and dry fired it ten times just to make sure, the gun was instantly transformed and shot about the same as the .177".]

So a snot to divert the thread I posted in General about DRY FIRING to form PTFE piston Seal.

Has anyone else tried this ?]

Just fitted a PTFE piston to a `77, would love to know the answer

PJ
    FX Verminator .177, Baikal IJ 38. 177, Gat gun .177, Haenal 303 .22, HW77 x 2 .177, Diana mod 27 1929 .177. EV2....... midshiresmarksmen.com

DM80 Guest
    The HW77 is in my opinion the best airgun ever made theirs nothing comes close to its allround quality and performance' in tuned form this rifle is superd a match for anything ever made only a well sorted HW80 comes close.

dave.

Quote Originally Posted by peejay View Post
    [[ Ten years later I was reading an old Airgunworld article on tuning where it said that "PTFE piston washers need to be dry fired to form to the cylinder".
    I got the gun out and dry fired it ten times just to make sure, the gun was instantly transformed and shot about the same as the .177".]

So a snot to divert the thread I posted in General about DRY FIRING to form PTFE piston Seal.

Has anyone else tried this ?]

Just fitted a PTFE piston to a `77, would love to know the answer

PJ
    Some info on this thread, PJ. Best of luck with the '77

EDIT Sorry, PJ this is the thread I meant:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...highlight=ptfe
    Last edited by oldhw77; 02-03-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: missing link!
    My name is Craig and I am addicted to multitools

I've never really understood the difference between the '77 and '97. Always thought that the '77 was more of a junior gun somehow - but it obviously is not.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I've never really understood the difference between the '77 and '97. Always thought that the '77 was more of a junior gun somehow - but it obviously is not.
    Nicer looking stock on a 97 with a higher cheekpiece, the gun also has a factory fitted silencer.
    Both the 77 and 97 share the same action.

Hope this helps.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Certainly not disputing they are a great rifle.

I think my disinterest stems from the R1 inspired stock shape, never been keen on it and especially if its fitted to the 80 Mk2 onwards.

Of course Bob Beeman had a big hand in designing the 77 as well so suspect that's why we got the R1 style stock.
    To the best of my knowledge, Weihrauch offered 3 different stocks on the HW77.

The first stock variation from the standard item was the HW77AS, this was a factory fitted field target stock with adjustable cheekpiece.

The other factory variation of the 77 was the HW77K Tyrolean which had a beautiful Tyrolean stock.

There could be other factory variations I don't know about.

By 1988 there were about 30 (conservative estimate) custom built 77's on offer from various tuning companies in the UK.

As Jim said in his AGW article the reach to trigger was a bit on the long side for most people, including me. The way round this was to buy a set back brass trigger (about a fiver) and the problem was solved.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

As Jim said in his AGW article the reach to trigger was a bit on the long side for most people, including me. The way round this was to buy a set back brass trigger (about a fiver) and the problem was solved.
    Several companies used to produce brass set back triggers for Weihrauchs so reach to trigger problems must be common. Ive noticed this on most HW models, especially the HW98 - perhaps my fingers have been worn down with all that banjo playing.
    These set back triggers are now pretty scarce but Rowan Engineering produced one, in a more pleasing to the eye ally than the vulgar brass.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Several companies used to produce brass set back triggers for Weihrauchs so reach to trigger problems must be common. Ive noticed this on most HW models, especially the HW98 - perhaps my fingers have been worn down with all that banjo playing.
    These set back triggers are now pretty scarce but Rowan Engineering produced one, in a more pleasing to the eye ally than the vulgar brass.

ATB
    Ian

Another way to reduce the reach to the '77 trigger is to fit an HW97 stock, which also gives a higher comb better suited to use with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

Another way to reduce the reach to the '77 trigger is to fit an HW97 stock, which also gives a higher comb better suited to use with a scope.
    But this doesn't help if you have a HW98.

ATB
    Ian

ATB
    Ian
    I refer the Honourable short-fingered banjo twanger to the title of this thread - Weihrauch HW77.

ATB
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I refer the Honourable short-fingered banjo twanger to the title of this thread - Weihrauch HW77.
    ha ha ha ha ha

ATB
    Ian

Hi Ian

After watching my local gunsmith make a setback trigger for me I decided to make the rest myself.

I normally steer well clear of anyone who plays the Banjo after watching this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

It would be advisable never to shout "Squeal like a pig boy", whilst holding a large Blackpudding.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Ian
    I normally steer well clear of anyone who plays the Banjo after watching this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

All the best Mick
    'Duelling Banjos' ! I can play that with my feet

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 02-03-2009 at 08:37 PM.

'Duelling Banjos' ! I can play that with my feet

ATB
    Ian
    I rest my case.

All the best Mick