Thread: Can't make my mind up - help, which BSA??

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Can't make my mind up - help, which BSA??

Finally got the pennies together for my .25 springer.

I initially wanted something that I didn't have to put a scope on straight away, so looked at the Supersport, which is very long!
    So other options were the Lightning, XL and XL Tactical.

Somebody suggested Supersport carbine, which would be ideal. However, they're no longer listed by BSA, having been into local shop today - bu**er!

By the time I add another scope for the Lightning or one of the XL's, there will be over £100 between that and the S/Sport.
    Other thing, it shouldn't matter, but I think the full length XL mod is ugly compared to the shorter Lightning mod, also read a number of comments about the XL mod working lose (is it secured with the QD stud acting as a grub screw??). To fit a mod to the S/sport, I'd need an adapter making with a slot milled to fit around the foresight, this should be do-able? It would then be long enough to use as a canoe paddle though.

I couldn't get to see a Tactical in the flesh, so would have to order that blind and hope it was ok.

So, do I stick to the cheap option and extra length (about a foot with a mod fitted) of the S/sport, or stump up the extra. If so, lightning or XL/ Tactical???

It's not an only rifle, and is as much for interest as anything else, hence the notion of keeping costs down.

And please don't get into you should get an HW etc etc, it will end up being one of the above!!
    I know it's down to me, but any thoughts???

Paul
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

You should get better accuracy with the longer barrel of the Supersport.
    The Lightning is a much harder rifle to work on and strip and relube (if you wanted to) beacuse the maxi scope rail is a pain in the a**e to remove.

BSA do an adapter so you can fit a BSA silencer.
    http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/silencers.php

Good to see somebody wanting to but a BSA rather than a HW, a refreshing change.

I already have an HW silencer, opened up for .25 that I would use.
    The adapter you mention needs the foresight removing I think.

Paul
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Quote Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
    I already have an HW silencer, opened up for .25 that I would use.
    The adapter you mention needs the foresight removing I think.

Paul
    Im not sure about the adapter to be honest, have to speak to BSA about that.

Morning.

You won't have to mill a slot in the moderator to fit it to the Supersport, unless you really want to keep the open sights on it. If you decide to remove the foresight it's just one screw.

It's true the standard rifle version of the Supersport is longer than a Lightning, but it's not that long a rifle in general, especially when compared to the length of TX's & Prosports, for example.

As for fitting a moderator, have you thought about getting the barrel screw cut, or an adapter from Uk Neil & fitting another moderator. Not a HW, as you mentioned, but the B.S.A V.C moderator is very well made & almost as quiet as the HW, yet looks better finished & for about the same price.

Although the Lightning & Supersport actions are similar, the Supersport is more "twangy" than a Lightning, and the Lightning is better balanced than a Supersport. However, it's also heavier.

If you do go for a Supersport, bare in mind that it is quite a harsh rifle & can eat scopes.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

The newer XL silencers have a screw off end to reveal a 1/2inch UNF, I tried one with a weihrauch mod on the end. looked a bit weird but was suprisingly quiet!

I think if you bought a Supersport you'd prob end up putting a scope on it anyway, as the plastic open sights are not the best. Plastic single stage trigger also not wonderful. Then you'll end up spending more money trying to get a silencer to fit. You might aswell go for the lightning and save yourself some time and effort. Shop around as prices can vary by around £50 or more. Hope this helps. atb. Brian.

I tested both the Supersport and the Lightning when looking to buy.

I have only just started in this lark, so I didn't want to spend shed-loads, but by the same token I wanted decent VFM, so I was prepared to spend a bit.

Supersport.
    For - I liked the 'feel' of the gun, it just felt comfortable for me. Power, it felt more powerful than the lightning, which could just be the recoil. It was cheaper and didn't come with a scope or silencer, which allowed me to get used to open sights and also allowed me to choose what scope I would want at a later date, rather than being lumbered with a scope that 'came with the deal'. Silencers on Springers don't do very much as the noise comes from the spring mechanism, not the muzzle.

Against - Harsher than the Lightning and also heavier. I also thought that it took more effort to cock.

Although the Lightning presentd the better 'deal', I bought the Supersport in the end and have since teamed it up with a Hawke Scope at a price cheaper than the overall package for the Lightning. I also spent the money saved on a couple of tins of pellets, gun bag, oil, targets and a cleaning kit.

Ultimately it's up to you what you buy, but I went with the cheap option that allowed me to add stuff at a later date. I don't have any regrets.

Jules

HW50...
    www.delgi.com
    www.olympicguns.co.za
    Steyr LG110 FT
    Steyr LG110 HP .20cal
    Steyr LG20 FT
    AA S400 Ginb FT
    HW100 FAC Ginb FT
    FX Verminator,Gladiator, Ranchero
    Logun Axsor
    Logun S16Xs FAC
    FWB300S
    AA Venom ProSport Ginb FT
    AA Venom TX200HC CS1000
    Steyr LP50 and LP10
    SAM K15
    Theoben Evo .177
    Theoben Crusader .20
    BSA Lightning XL Tactical .177
    Winchester Mod52 .22LR silhouette
    Hammerli 152 Electronic .22 free pistol, others...

Thanks for the above thoughts.
    Slightly confused by the fact that the S/sport seems more twangy. I thought both were in fact the same action. Having just gone through the exploded diagrams for the pair, the part numbers for spring, seals etc etc all match up, including the stock, so not sure why one would have a more twangy action or be more harsh.
    As for cocking effort, with the same spring, cylinder length, cocking links etc, I don't see how the S/sport with a longer barrel can be harder to cock, although it may feel it as it doesn't have the nice chunky handle provided by the mod on the Lightning.

If I do for the S/sport and end up putting a scope on, I'll be using a little springer rated scope from our sponsors, so it should survive.

Paul