Thread: The 6 yard distance ??

The 6 yard distance ??

I tried searching for some background on this yardage that I`ve seen mentioned on here and on pics of factory targets for the webleys (also on this site), but came up empty, hence the question.

I`ve stumbled over several references to this, for me somewhat curious distance, I`ve done ISSF 10 meters and never heard about any other distances in "formal" airpistol comps, is this some English, historical program/distance for airpistols ?

I`m a bit intrigued and would appreciate any information on this, both to rule set and historical background...

Smile 6 yds

suggest try NSRA,expect they will satisfy your curiosty...Mike...

Smile

As I understand it, the 6 yard distance was selected originally because the spare space in pubs was very restricted.

Why pubs?

Well, NARPA was founded mainly to foster [sorry about that] the sport of air-rifle shooting at bell targets - an activity that took place mainly in pubs and clubs, particularly in the north and north west of the UK in the seventies.

I could be wrong, after all, I'm a strange here....

tac

Aha, Bell shooting - I`ve read about that in an older Norwegian book, sounds fun. Great pun, anyway...

I`ll send the NSRA a mail tomorrow, found the target in the shop, but it seems I`ll have to buy the rule book. No downloads on the rules as I could find on the site ??

Thanks for the info and pointers...

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I think the scouts used to (still do?) shoot over this distance (pistol & rifle) and the Cumbria & Northumbria Target Shooting Association still offer a competition over this distance
    Link here : http://www.target-shooting.org.uk/CN...ummer_2009.pdf
    It certainly seems to be more active as a discipline in the North
    (but thats just an impression from the number of clubs offering the facility to still shoot over this distance and I might be wrong about that....)

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I think the scouts used to (still do?) shoot over this distance (pistol & rifle)

Yes, we still do. Like pubs, there are very few huts/halls you can fit a 10m range in, but 6 yds will fit in most (it fits in my dining room too ). It doesn't hurt either that the distance is a bit less daunting when you're starting children from maybe 10 years up. We have a National Championship at Bisley every year (over 700 enterants last year) shooting 6 yd rifle and pistol, 10m rifle (and 10m pistol in finals), FT, summer biathlon and more. IIRC, NSRA provide Air6 targets for the pistols, and I think we use 10m targets at 6 yds for the rifles (I tend to practise on the scaled-down 6yds-looks-like-10m targets from city air weapons).
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    We use the 6 yard distance for our Umarex Boys Club shoots (see Sticky).

Bell shooting? Someone started a Thread here about that, just a few days ago.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I think the scouts used to (still do?) shoot over this distance (pistol & rifle) and the Cumbria & Northumbria Target Shooting Association still offer a competition over this distance
    Link here : http://www.target-shooting.org.uk/CN...ummer_2009.pdf
    It certainly seems to be more active as a discipline in the North
    (but thats just an impression from the number of clubs offering the facility to still shoot over this distance and I might be wrong about that....)
    Oooo cheers for that, i've been looking for some 10m pistol 'postal' comps