Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted info on Bell Target Clubs

Wanted info on Bell Target Clubs

Hi members
    I am involved with the Bridgend & District Air Rifle League we are 6 teams with around 90 members in all, shooting over 7 yards on Monday & Thursday nights throughout the winter months, we use match rifles FWB 300s and up, I am doing a little research with regards to writing a book, and would like to know how many Leagues, Clubs and Members there are out there involved with Bell Target shooting, if you are involved please let me know the above, the distance you shoot over and the type of rifles used, info on web sites welcome.
    Thanks in anticipation, Jim

In Leicestershire there is Hinckley & District Air Rifle League.

Rgds
    Rutty

Smile Bell Target Info

Thanks Rutty

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I just a few days ago learned about this most interesting old sport. Is bell shooting the subject of your book, Jim?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim
    Yes it is, although I will include a general history, it is mostly confined to my local area South Wales, I have been shooting bell target since 1971 in pubs and clubs throughout the winter months, the fact the matches take place on licensed premises makes it a very social sport, with a competitive edge. There are strict safety rules in place and all competitors are fully insured against accidents etc. We pride ourselves in a 100 years of shooting there has never been an accident resulting in personal injury.
    Jim.

Jimlad,

I am sure that you are acquainted with this Bell Target Website, that draws its information from Frank Spittle's book "Ring My Bell - An Old Black Country Sport"

Rgds
    Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Hi Jim
    Yes it is, although I will include a general history, it is mostly confined to my local area South Wales, I have been shooting bell target since 1971 in pubs and clubs throughout the winter months, the fact the matches take place on licensed premises makes it a very social sport, with a competitive edge. There are strict safety rules in place and all competitors are fully insured against accidents etc. We pride ourselves in a 100 years of shooting there has never been an accident resulting in personal injury.
    Jim.
    Put me down for a copy when available.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Bell target League

Bedworth & District AR League, 4 Teams.
    http://bdarl.users.btopenworld.com/

Nuneaton AR League No Web Site, 4 Teams.

Hinckley & District AR League, 11 Teams.
    http://www.hinckleyairrifle.com/

Jimlad,

You may find this medal of some interest:

Cardiff Air Rifle League 1925-26

Rgds
    Rutty

Bell Target Info

Thanks Belltarget, Thanks Rutty, I am interested in the medal, anything engraved on the back of it, or do you have any history relating to it.
    Jim

Jimlad,

I have sent you a Private Message

Rgds
    Rutty

edbear2 Guest
    More info here;

http://www.belltarget.com/leagues-list.php

This is my local league;

http://www.belltarget.com/lord-ednam.php

Rifles are strict open sights (not even a foresight hood allowed), full recoiling springers at 6 yards, with a 8mm bell hole.....Guns seem to be mostly HW77's, TX200's, Airsporters, with Omega's, Supersports and others seen.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    More info here;

http://www.belltarget.com/leagues-list.php

This is my local league;

http://www.belltarget.com/lord-ednam.php

Rifles are strict open sights (not even a foresight hood allowed), full recoiling springers at 6 yards, with a 8mm bell hole.....Guns seem to be mostly HW77's, TX200's, Airsporters, with Omega's, Supersports and others seen.

Wish I could be there.

A photo(s) of the typical rifles used, and of the blokes shooting, might be interesting.

Are these leagues still being held at all in conjunction with sponsoring pubs, as they were in the old days?

Jim

Typical rifles used these days are such things as FWB 300's, Air Arms Prosports fitted with open sights, HW 77's, up to FWB 700's and Steyr LG20's and the like.

Although I believe there are some folk who still stick to more traditional rifles. I've only done it once, with a Mk V B.S.A Meteor, but intend to do some more this coming Tuesday and I will be using a B.S.A Meteor Mk I or MK V Super Meteor.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

I shoot in the Wolverhampton and Black country area bell target league.
    We shoot over 6yds at a 3/8" hole in the plate.

I'm new to the sport, only 2years or so. But there are some retired members still come along for a bitter and a chat, they talk of hundereds of members and 10's and 10's of local teams. we are down to 5 teams, each scraping the 8-10 members on a good day. I could put you in contact with some of the more knowledgeable members if they are interested in contributing to your book.

I'll ask on Thursday, we are in summer comps and 'individual' paper target league now, but the crowd is the same.