Thread: Oil finishing a stock question

Mark A Guest

Question Oil finishing a stock question

Hi,

I re-finished my Sidewinder stock a while ago in a tung oil based glossy finish (Finishing oil) and have now decided id rather have a satin/matt finish instead. My question is can i oil over the top of the original finish? or will it need sanding back?, both oils are tung based.

TIA

Mark

bennyblanco Guest
    try some danish over the top, if it doesnt work you are still in the same position re. stripping

Mark A Guest
    Cheers Mark. I was going to use Danish oil to begin with and wish i had now, the finishing oil is a bit too glossy for me. I dont want to put a layer of wax on as it allways seems to feel tacky and gets finger prints all over it. If i was to strip it would i be able to stain it or will the oil that has soaked into the wood stop the stain from soaking in?.

Mark

wornspring Guest
    Dont sand back just cut back with fine wire wool, that is what french polishers use should give a satin finish

A synthetic fibre pan scrubber. Then liberally wipe it over whith white spirit, let it dry. Then if you want, stain it and/or a Danish.

You could take it back to the wood, then use Brimax Original Clear wood wax, or equivalent. This is not a gloss finish, but quite natural. Applied whith a synthetic fibre pan scrubber.

Maybe you aught to get a pice of Pine and do a bit of practice. That way you get an Idea of the different process finish.

Whith a wax polish onto finishing oil you are getting back to a glossy shine.

If you're leaving finger prints on a wax, you didn't use enough elbow greese

For my ha'pennyworth

Ray
    Last edited by Ray J; 24-07-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Ask Sniper22 he's the best.

Ora

Mark A Guest
    Thanks for the replys guys. I'll rub some danish oil into it tommorro and see what happens. I got a good finish using the finishing oil, i wet sanded with the oil to fill the pours, its almost the same as teak oil and is abit too glossy. Looks good on an oak cabinet i made but i think danish oil would of been a better choice on the stock. I'll post a pic when its done.

ATB

Mark

sniper22 Guest
    Originally posted by ora8i
    Ask Sniper22 he's the best.

Ora
    aaaaaw, shucks, a fan.