Thread: advice

advice

Hi guys,after buying a walther cp-88 and cp-99 pistols which i am having plenty of fun. question is what gun would you recomend for fairly accurate target(paper) usage.

dont want to spend a fortune and would prefer pre-owned,all advice accepted

cheers

willy

target shooting

Hi ya

Well I'd say a Tau 7 (I own one), an Aeron BRNO B96 (tried one) and I know the guys also recommend the alfa proj sport (not tried it). All CO2, which doesn't seem to worry you and probably available for £150-200, less if you are lucky.

Now wait for Derek to come and second my opinion!!
    ATVB
    Linnet
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    I spotted a gamo compact in the sales earlier, seems they are made for the job.
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Exclamation target pistol

depending on a phone call I'm expecting tomorrow,my Gamo Compact will be for sale @ £100...Mike...

Another vote for the TAU 7. Second hand ones seem to go for about £150. Review here.

People will bleat about CO2 being useless for target work due to the variation in velocity when used at different temperatures, but in my experience (and having heard from other TAU shooters) the effect with the TAU is negligible. I suspect it's something to do with the way the CO2 capsule is dumped into a cylinder in the pistol grip, rather than being fed directly from the capsule with each shot.

The IZH46 has a good reputation too, but I've never used one so can't comment. The Gamo Compact also has a good reputation, and is a fair bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    Another vote for the TAU 7.
    People will bleat about CO2 being useless for target work due to the variation in velocity when used at different temperatures, but in my experience (and having heard from other TAU shooters) the effect with the TAU is negligible...

I agree I get a definate good 60 shots from a 12g capsule - no obvious change in velocity. Then there is a warning 'phut' sound, and you know its time to change capsule. so long as you start any comp with a full capsule you should reach the end of it no problem at all.

As for CO2 costs, they're not that bad....(I don't know why the target shooters whinge about this and yet all the plinkers don't!! ......just bought 100 12g capsules (unbadged) from JSR for £30 plus postage, the postage is a little steep because of the weight, but buy yourself 5000 pellets whilst you're at it - you'll be lucky to find cheaper.
    ATVB
    Linnet
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

For Fairly accurate But still fun my vote is with an HW45. I bought myself one not long ago, and it's fantastic, very accurate once you're used to the hold consistency and great fun, feels easier to cock than my hw40 and seems a bit punchier.
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

Hi go for the HW40 it's a great cheapish pistol (under £100 secondhand) I used mine for over a year before i bought a proper target pistol. No Diver's bottles, pumps or Co2 required, no recoil though it does suffer from a bit of muzzle flip, which you will get used to or pop some wieght in at the end under the barrel.

atvb

Jason
    Last edited by cookie; 09-03-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Daisy 717, HW40 or a Gamo Compact a single stroke pneumatic is the way to go.

Any of these can hold there own against guns costing hundred of pounds more.

My Daisy 717 "cured" me of my CO2 guns and I have owned most of them at sometime or another.

The intresting thing is with the Daisy I can have a higher rate of fire than with my S&W CO2 if you count the time to load mags and gas
    Zastava Owners Club.

wow

guys thankyou very much for your input and taking the time to help.

now time to start looking!! mickson will pm you.

cheers

willy

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    Daisy 717, HW40 or a Gamo Compact a single stroke pneumatic is the way to go.

Any of these can hold there own against guns costing hundred of pounds more.

My Daisy 717 "cured" me of my CO2 guns and I have owned most of them at sometime or another.

The intresting thing is with the Daisy I can have a higher rate of fire than with my S&W CO2 if you count the time to load mags and gas
    Hi

Concur on the Daisy!! Great gun for the price!

David

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post

I've heard shotgun owners say that same thing about a double barrel vs. a pump or semiauto.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone