Thread: Leica CRF1200

Leica CRF1200

OK,

Been looking for a compact replacement for my Leupold Wind River range finding bins.

I elected to purchase a Leica CRF 1200 for several reasons:
    Quality of optics
    Compact size
    Illuminated display so as it could be used at night.

Upon initial un-boxing/inspection it was very apparent just how small ths unit is. However, the positioning of control button and viewfinder are spot on so not in the least bit fiddly.
    Optic quality is first class as one would expect, even when looking into sunlight or dim areas. As yet I have not attempted to use this item instead of a pair of binoculars while stalking, although this will be on my list of 'to do's'.

Speed of unit is amazing, the distance calculation is almost instant and very clear on the illuminated LED display. Range finding reticule is fairly well proportioned and illuminated too. I have not found it obscures anything as yet.

As the unit is so small keeping it completely steady is not alltogether easy. I'm sure that with a little more practise this will become very easy and not an issue.
    On a plus side, with regard to the size: It fits into all but the very smallest pocket in my jacket.

Initially my rating is 9 out of 10.

Will update this review after more field testing.

Kind Regards
    Peter

Please do. I'm mulling over whether to get one. One of the things I'm considering is whether it would let me leave my bins at home. How does it cope in twilight?
    Thxs

you shouldn't hesitate with the leica 1200. ive had the 900model for 3years now and im very happy with it. i want to sell it to sponsor a swaro because i need more range capability so let me know if you are in interested.

lrf's face problems during bright sunlight not during twilight. the leica has an illuminated display that can be seen very well at night. i have used mine both day and late evening and never had any problems. if you want to range 2ft objects past 600m you should get a leica adapter so you can place it on a tripod otherwise it will be difficult to aim accurately. ive ranged deer and small trees about 4ft high with this out to 920m. its solid and mine has always been repeatable and dependable

OK,

Took the CRF out yesterday late afternoon and had a 'play' while sitting in the high seat..

Optics absolutely brilliant in low light conditions, however while studying the image I did notice that approx 15% of the picture around the edges was distorted/blurred.

While the optics are really good (ranged an Oak tree @ 648yds with poor light and image was very clear/true) colours are 'real' but image stability can be a problem.

Realistically this CRF 1200 is not a replacement for a good pair of binoculars. It could be an emergency back up should you forget the bino's though!

Regards
    Peter

The CRF is very good, but I found it too small, which as you have said makes stability a problem.
    This makes the older LRF a good buy as it performs as good as the CRF for rangefinding.
    Not quite as good optically, but much easier to stabilize due to the larger size.
    As for binos, have you tried the Leica 10x25 Ultravid's, these are amazing.
    I usually take these out more than my 10x42 Leica's just because they are so small and light.