Thread: Howard to protect gun-owners' rights

Howard to protect gun-owners' rights

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...189665,00.html

Should have read.......'some gun owners rights'

I cant hellp feeling he's just saying what his audience wants to hear.
    Anyone bet he won't repeat that at the next 'anti' event he attends?

Richard.

RochdaleLad Guest
    he was saying he'd do this and that for father's rights a week or so ago.

Just another polititian (sp)...

David.
    (ps: I dont care if I'm not making sense - little or no sleep does that to a bloke)

Troubledshooter Guest
    'Shotguns' are the only firearms mentioned, probably because so many Tory contributors belong to syndicates, or own the land they shoot on.
    I don't think Howard or any other politician is particularly interested in protecting the rights of Air Weapon shooters. Not enough votes, or more to the point, contributions, in it for them.

Micky Spillane Guest
    Yeah I'm afraid it all sounds too familliar. All of the politicians will play to whatever audience is daft enough to listen to them. Bliar said thier government wouldn't interfere with shooting and fishing sports. You all know when a politician is lying, its lips are moving!
    Drink good English bitter beer and shoot safe.
    Micky Spillane

Muddy Gumboots Guest
    To paraphrase the rather gorgeous Ms Shania Twain, this don't convince me much.

Howard is promising to protect the interests of shotgun wielding, landowning shooters. And there's nothing wrong with that - good luck to them. I may not be able to afford a Purdey, and I didn't inherit half of Wiltshire when I turned 21, but I don't have a problem with those who can and did. But Howard ought to be protecting the interests of shooting as a whole.

Time I think for all of us to start writiting politely but firmly to Conservative MPs asking for their public support for the responsible, legal use of air rifles. It should be noted that there are plenty of Tory MPs who have gone on the record in defence of air rifles, not least during the readings for the recent anti-social behaviour legislation, but they and their guv'nor need to spell out their support. As a group we may not donate as much cash to the Tory cause as landowners, but we all have votes, and with an election on the horizon they'd be foolish to alienate thousands of potential supporters.

Mr Howard is hoping to protect your right to do what his government (if any) wants when it wants and to do neither more or less.

I doubt if any of our politicos can be relied on to do more than that and with Howard’s pedigree he could turn on you with out notice.

Remember they actually don’t want you in the political process they wish to retain power and control to them selves. To do this they feed the masses (sheep) smoke and mirrors.

A good example is the animal rights groups; the state could crush these people any time it chooses. However while they make noise the publics brain cell is occupied and with what?

People taking rubbish in Cambridge or messing up a hunt somewhere.

While we are diverted with that we won’t ask questions or WORSE demand actions about important matters like pensions and the provision of food for the coming generation in an over populated world.

Ora
    Last edited by ora8i; 25-07-2004 at 04:14 PM.

Don't forget the Conservatives banned most types of semiauto rifles, required repeater shotguns to be butchered (magazines crimped to 2 rounds), and banned many types of pistol. Sure there are more than a few individual Tory MPs who are pro-shooting, but the bottom line is all the main parties are anti-shooting, but claim not to be because they want our votes. What we really need to do is organise all the millions of shooting/fieldsports/fishing people into a coherent lobby. with that many votes the politicians will take us seriously. Until then the best we can do is vote for individual MPs who are pro-shooting.

NickNick Guest
    Michael Howard is the idiot that took my handguns away. Until the day he admits he was wrong and pledges to return them I will never trust a word he says

Nick.

Hi,

Two thoughts:

1. Conservatives have taken more of our shooting rights away than Labour (No, I don't trust Labour either).

2. Who would ever trust ANYTHING a politician says??

Neil