Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22RF Target Rifle for a Youngster...

.22RF Target Rifle for a Youngster...

My youngest son (14) shoots with the air cadets and wants to join our local target club to get a bit more practice and tuition. He's not the biggest of lads and my Anschutz 1813 is a bit too large and heavy for him. Any recommendations for a target rifle that might suit him better?

regards
    Nigel

BSA Martini?

Anschutz 64.
    Peter

Aa s200
    Air Arms S400 Classic- Simmons 3-9-40 scope, Logan Carbon Fiber 8Inch Silencer.

A nice little Anschutz 1907 would be ideal

Quote Originally Posted by 20series View Post
    A nice little Anschutz 1907 would be ideal
    Seconded. Lighter stock and lighter barrel, but not far off the standard of the -13 series of Anschutz barrels as on your 1813, or the more modern 1913/2013 systems.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I would think that a xx07 model which is the old UIT standard rifle used by ladies and juniors in international comps, would be ideal for a 14 year old. I'm curently thinking about geting one of the ultra lightweight Match 64 actioned rifles for my daughter as she will be able to shoot rimfire at the club after her upcoming 12th birthday. So if anyone has one for sale at a sensible price please get in contact. I have a 1813 and her brother shoots a 45 year old 1411 but they are both 54 actions with heavy barrels.

Al

Target Rifle

Hi Al
    The Older mod biathlon Rifles are ideal for little people,and they shoot very well,I use one to shoot 10 .1/2lb br and it does ok for me.
    Regards John F.

Biathlon rifle? Now I would be interested in one of those but I've never seen one for sale in the UK either new or second hand...

X2 on the Anschutz 64 - small and light

John F, is your biathlon rifle one of the Forstner stright pulls or the older turn bolt? Rosie will be shooting my 1813 in the UKBR22 leagues in the summer and the club has one of the very light Match 64 rifles so I have no rush, but if a suitable gun comes along to get her going prone shooting I wil have a look at one. For the OP dose your club have a suitable lightweight gun that your son could use?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    John F, is your biathlon rifle one of the Forstner stright pulls or the older turn bolt? Rosie will be shooting my 1813 in the UKBR22 leagues in the summer and the club has one of the very light Match 64 rifles so I have no rush, but if a suitable gun comes along to get her going prone shooting I wil have a look at one. For the OP dose your club have a suitable lightweight gun that your son could use?

Al
    Hi Al
    My Rifle is a turnover bolt,It was made in 1977,the model is Anschutz 1427.
    I had the all the forend of the stock cut away and flat fullength piece glued on ,the work was done by a carpenter friend.I have managed to win the 25mtre indoor ukbr light varmit class 4 times with this old rifle,But then the barrels are made to shoot in very harsh conditions,so no disputing the quality of these old rifles.
    Regards John F.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    BSA Martini?
    Not a good choice if weight is an issue. I reckon it weighs more than a No.4 Enfield myself, although that is merely a guess.

Some of the early Martini's like the 12/15 often seem to have short barrels and lightweight stocks. They might be suitable and can be bought at very cheap prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    Not a good choice if weight is an issue. I reckon it weighs more than a No.4 Enfield myself, although that is merely a guess.
    Hmm... not the one's i've used including the international. Always been too light if anything, and way off a 18/1913. Perhaps i've just used odd ones