Thread: Edgar / Hatsan 60

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Edgar / Hatsan 60

Bought one for my son today, brand new at £90 (shop gave a bit of discount after messing me about)

http://picasaweb.google.com/DomRiver...73369620752834

All I can say is, it's an awful lot of gun for the money, Walnut stock and Chrono'd in the shop at 11.3 ft/lbs (with Eley wasps), I've put 100 or so RWS Hobby through it this afternoon and am hitting a tangerine consistently at about 15 metres with the open sights and unsupported standing, not expecting much as it's still running in but overall pretty happy with it.

Good points
    Nice stock
    Plenty of power
    Accuracy seems good
    Auto safety / bear trap
    Scope recoil arrestor
    6.6 lbs
    Price

Where the money was saved

Open sights shocking quality
    Trigger is plastic and, though adjustable, isn't very smooth.

If you'd had a few British airguns and you shot it blindfolded it feels a bit like a Webley Vulcan circa 1986, can't say exactly why or what it is that gives me that impression, certainly the trigger isn't as uncomfortable as the old Webleys, I think it's the way the recoil is transferred through the whole gun in a rather unsophisticated manner.
    Still, £90 and piercing a quality street tin at about 50 feet (through lid and stuck in base) with a light wadcutter target pellet isn't half bad going

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzidom View Post
    Bought one for my son today, brand new at £90 (shop gave a bit of discount after messing me about)

http://picasaweb.google.com/DomRiver...73369620752834

All I can say is, it's an awful lot of gun for the money, Walnut stock and Chrono'd in the shop at 11.3 ft/lbs (with Eley wasps), I've put 100 or so RWS Hobby through it this afternoon and am hitting a tangerine consistently at about 15 metres with the open sights and unsupported standing, not expecting much as it's still running in but overall pretty happy with it.

Good points
    Nice stock
    Plenty of power
    Accuracy seems good
    Auto safety / bear trap
    Scope recoil arrestor
    6.6 lbs
    Price

Where the money was saved

Open sights shocking quality
    Trigger is plastic and, though adjustable, isn't very smooth.

If you'd had a few British airguns and you shot it blindfolded it feels a bit like a Webley Vulcan circa 1986, can't say exactly why or what it is that gives me that impression, certainly the trigger isn't as uncomfortable as the old Webleys, I think it's the way the recoil is transferred through the whole gun in a rather unsophisticated manner.
    Still, £90 and piercing a quality street tin at about 50 feet (through lid and stuck in base) with a light wadcutter target pellet isn't half bad going
    Sounds like you got a bargain there, nice one

Nice review. Yes it is not a bad gun the ones i have seen. I think Edgar Bros have a bargin there. Its sold as it is an Hatsan not a wannabe Webley. Why would anyone pay an inflated price for a make beleve Webley when you can have the one from Edgar bros for a considerable lower price. No one likes to be riped of and i think thats were Webley?ags got it wrong the buying public aint stupid and BBS members soon pass on message whats good and what aint. Respect to Edgar Bros and respect to all BBS members. atb.

Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    Nice review. Yes it is not a bad gun the ones i have seen. I think Edgar Bros have a bargin there. Its sold as it is an Hatsan not a wannabe Webley. Why would anyone pay an inflated price for a make beleve Webley when you can have the one from Edgar bros for a considerable lower price. No one likes to be riped of and i think thats were Webley?ags got it wrong the buying public aint stupid and BBS members soon pass on message whats good and what aint. Respect to Edgar Bros and respect to all BBS members. atb.
    So you think the Webleys are manufactured by Hatsan?, I had some suspicions when I found out they were now built in Turkey, food for thought indeed.
    Youngmans have got the model 60 going for £79.99, which is just about the hunting bargain of the decade (even if it does mean my bargain wasn't quite as good as I thought.)

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzidom View Post
    So you think the Webleys are manufactured by Hatsan?, I had some suspicions when I found out they were now built in Turkey, food for thought indeed.
    Youngmans have got the model 60 going for £79.99, which is just about the hunting bargain of the decade (even if it does mean my bargain wasn't quite as good as I thought.)
    Youngmans started selling them at 79.99 last year then just after Xmas they upped it to 99.99 now in the store they are marked as been 139.99 reduced to 99.99

Ive had mine for a while and had the trigger lightened and after about 2000 pellets it shoots great very accurate at 30 yards.

As for power it will blow holes in cooking pans when using promethius plastic skirted pellets and whilst I do not advocate doin this for safety reasons it will also put clean holes into wine bottles using these pellets.

For accuracy though this gun loves AA fields/Jsb Exacts and Logun 16g Penetrators and seems to hate Bisley Pest control/Magnums causing a noticable loss of power imo.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the Model 60. I bought a Mod. 105 (underlever) last year and am really sorry that I did so! Very "agricultural" in its construction and difficult to improve on, it seems (I will strip and polish etc when time permits). Does anyone else have experience of these particular items? Any constructive feedback gratefully received!
    Cheers.

This is the VERY close relative to the Webley Blackhawk. Amazing difference in price when it says Hatsan on it though. Oh yes, you have to suffer with walnut instead of Webley's plastic.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I did not find the open sights that bad, though I mostly use a scope with mine. Yes good accurate guns with a nice stock, a good move by Hatsan (though the old wood stocks they did were not bad). There is one major Webleyesque thing about these though, the safety catch which is a direct borrowing of a Webley design. Indeed the push button is the spitting image of the push button safety fitted to my Eclipse Mk2.

I suspect we will see more of these features worked into Hatsan guns in future, perhaps AGS/Webley agreed a technoilogy exchange as part of their price with Hatsan.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    I suspect we will see more of these features worked into Hatsan guns in future, perhaps AGS/Webley agreed a technoilogy exchange as part of their price with Hatsan.
    Hatsans have ALWAYS been like that, more like Webley borrowing some things again.

Local gunshop to me over in Newcastle had the mod 60 on for £125 including a cheap little scope and mounts. Really not bad at all and a solid starter gun or ratting gun.